Singapore Expats

Finding ex-pat roommates to split unit in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 31 Aug 2011 4:25 pm

The "bait and switch" technique is a direct consequence of the new property agents' law:
The agent gets a commission from the one (and only one) party who engages him. Thus if a landlord asks an agent to find a tenant, the landlord (and not the tenant) pays.
However, if a tenant asks an agent to find a property for him/her, the tenant pays.
Thus, to maximize profits, an agent will advertise properties as a bait, but always find a reason why that exact one isn't available and then offer the prospective tenant to find another one, for which he then gets a fee (and his friend, who is engaged by the landlord of the other property, gets another fee).
I have yet to find somebody who under the new rules got a rental property through an agent without paying the fee - despite the fact that this practise is probably illegal.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 31 Aug 2011 4:48 pm

It is possible to find a roommate on various websites in SG of the type you're looking for without an agent (probably better that way too). A simple search through the forum will give you the answer that you're looking for as this is not the first time the question has been asked...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 31 Aug 2011 9:14 pm

beppi wrote:I have yet to find somebody who under the new rules got a rental property through an agent without paying the fee - despite the fact that this practise is probably illegal.
It is much simpler than it may seem. The agent formally acts only on behalf of the LL even if in reality (s)he acts for the tenant.

sammone40
Regular
Regular

Post by sammone40 » Thu, 01 Sep 2011 12:35 am

" Thus, to maximize profits, an agent will advertise properties as a bait, but always find a reason why that exact one isn't available and then offer the prospective tenant to find another one, for which he then gets a fee (and his friend, who is engaged by the landlord of the other property, gets another fee)."

This was my experience but the agent on my side was really helpful.. bought me stuff for my place, painstakingly did the inventory, showed me round the local area for an hour sure it was my money but being new they were really helpful. I doubt the landlord's agent would have been that kind having met them a few times
**How many times will we say the world is not enough. Be one with the earth**

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 1:33 pm

beppi wrote:The "bait and switch" technique is a direct consequence of the new property agents' law:
The agent gets a commission from the one (and only one) party who engages him. Thus if a landlord asks an agent to find a tenant, the landlord (and not the tenant) pays.
However, if a tenant asks an agent to find a property for him/her, the tenant pays.
Thus, to maximize profits, an agent will advertise properties as a bait, but always find a reason why that exact one isn't available and then offer the prospective tenant to find another one, for which he then gets a fee (and his friend, who is engaged by the landlord of the other property, gets another fee).
I have yet to find somebody who under the new rules got a rental property through an agent without paying the fee - despite the fact that this practise is probably illegal.
Me, I just signed for a 2 year lease the other week with the landlord's agent, she tried to show us something different, but we said we weren't interested in any of her other properties and there you have it! No fee, only 2 month rent deposit 1 month in advance and stamp duty! :)
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

sammone40
Regular
Regular

Post by sammone40 » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 2:31 pm

No landlord's agent will charge tenants a fee in my experience they get this from the landlord. the time you pay the fee is for co-broked.

am glad you found a property you liked though!
Last edited by sammone40 on Fri, 02 Sep 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**How many times will we say the world is not enough. Be one with the earth**

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 2:33 pm

sammone40 wrote:No landlord's agent will charge tenants a fee in my experience they get this from the landlord. the time you pay the fee is for co-broked
Que ?? Do you live in Singapore ??

9 out of 10, well, make it 99% of the agents want commission from both sides, and are creative enough to come up with excuses, even when you renew ..

don't start .. :)

co-brokered ? that, in reality, should be transparent to the tenent .. as, now, almost all property seem co-brokered, or they introduce their friend as co-broke ..

luminoso
Regular
Regular

Post by luminoso » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 3:50 pm

sammone40 wrote:" Thus, to maximize profits, an agent will advertise properties as a bait, but always find a reason why that exact one isn't available and then offer the prospective tenant to find another one, for which he then gets a fee (and his friend, who is engaged by the landlord of the other property, gets another fee)."

This was my experience but the agent on my side was really helpful.. bought me stuff for my place, painstakingly did the inventory, showed me round the local area for an hour sure it was my money but being new they were really helpful. I doubt the landlord's agent would have been that kind having met them a few times
There are good agents and bad agents, but it's really hit and miss.

The question is why there isn't any sort of consistency with regards to the conduct and practices of real estate agents? Don't they all go through training and stuff? Some are real professionals but the vast majority are just wheeler-dealer types who are just out to rip you off as best as they can.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 4:18 pm

Council for Estate Agencies (CEA)
SINGAPORE: Some 2,700 real estate agents stand to lose their provisional licence if they do not pass a mandatory exam by the end of this year.

They were granted a one—year licence when the new regulatory framework kicked in at the start of this year, which requires all agents to pass an industry exam. However, some agents are facing language problems.

Mohd Ismail, CEO of PropNex, said: "They struggle to understand the exam questions. One or two people have broken down because they are very stressed, thinking what will happen to their rice bowl.

For some of these people, we are trying our level best to give them a mentor, who is their respective team manager and leader... to give one—to—one coaching."

About six per cent of agents at PropNex have a provisional licence.
Mr Ismail said half of them have not closed a single transaction this year and have chosen to leave the industry.

But there are some who earn on average S$10,000 to S$12,000 a month in commission. He said these people want to continue being agents, but have failed the Real Estate Salesperson exam multiple times as they are not proficient in English.

Responding to queries, the Council for Estate Agencies said it is working with the Institute of Estate Agents to conduct classes on the exam syllabus in Mandarin.

But still, agents will have to grapple with an exam paper in English. That is because all paperwork and documents for property transactions are written in English.

33,054 real estate agents were registered with the CEA as at end of August and 1,535 agencies have been awarded licences.

The CEA gave an update on its operations to the media at a closed—door event on Monday, one year since its formation.

The council is tasked with industry development and enforces regulations such as compulsory licensing.

The CEA has also issued about 100 letters of advice to errant agents on complaints of misrepresentation or misconduct. One agent was also taken to court for practicing without a licence.

Going forward, the council said it will work with key stakeholders to promote professional estate agency practices.

It is also launching collaterals for better consumer prudence and education.
—CNA/ac

PS:

My own current agent, when I disputed the cost of repair of Aircon, reverted back insisting that the 'portion of cost' is borne by tenant .. when I gently reminded him that is no such thing as as 'portion' or 'co-pay' .. he sent the following:

"We will enact the minor repair clause in that case"

Turned out his grasp of the legal mumbo jumbo was limited to just explaining the agreement, sentence by sentence, at the time of signing the agreement, and that's it ..

sundaymadness

Post by sundaymadness » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 1:59 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I have friends, as landlords and tenants, who have used this site with success. Otherwise, I am not affiliated.

http://www...com.sg/
that's one. many other websites where landlords post directly!

http://singapore.gumtree.sg/
http://rentdirect.sg/
http://singapore.craigslist.com.sg/
http://noagentfeesingapore.com/

i've been seeing so many posts about tenants/landlords with their agent problems. do these agents actually know their stuff???

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 2:12 pm

I'm sure you watch the news. Several thousand of them can't even pass the CEA test as they don't speak/read English. While one might say that should be a possibility, when you stop to think that ALL tenancy and home sales contracts in Singapore are in English, then you got to wonder how many shysters there are in the bunch, not counting the English speaking crooks as well. Most of these people are like those people who have had 5 jobs in a less than 4 years...... they gravitate toward real estate as they thing their glib tongues can work in that industry (similar to mlm's to me, they don't care about the marks, just their pocketbooks).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 2:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Having gone to school in Alameda during the late '70's, the only part of San Fran I miss are the diving sites north of San Fran on the other side of the golden gate in Marin county.
Diving for beavers :lol:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 3:43 pm

No, that's south of San Fran. North, it's diving for Abs! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aballoonflies

Re: Finding ex-pat roommates to split unit in Singapore

Post by aballoonflies » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 9:41 am

Hey Elbow,

I am from SF and I am going to Singapore in Oct as well. I should be about your age, graduated from Davis in 08. My gf will join me in March next year. Are you interested in meeting up in SF and chat about the housing stuff in Singapore? If it goes well we can might as well look for apartment together.

I will be working at Suntec city in CBD.
please email me at lk1120 @ gmail!

GOt i was pretty lucky seeing this!

Eibow wrote:Hi all,

I'll be moving out to Singapore for the next year from San Francisco this coming October. I have been looking through a number of rentals and have found a similar realization as many, that housing here is expensive, especially after just graduating from my university.

During my search, it became apparent that an individual, whole unit apartment rental will cost +/- 2,000 SGD for even the smallest unit. The common more affordable option seems to be the rental of a master or common room that is a part of a larger unit with a common living space. That said, options seem to improve dramatically when looking through rental options in the ~3,000 SGD price range.

Have many ex-pats moving to Singapore had luck with organizing a roommate or group of roommates prior to relocating? I feel that finding another to person agree to splitting the cost of a living space will greatly improve "our" living options.

On a side note, having utilities fully paid for seems like an important part of the decision. Utility bills (especially "electricity") seem to be very high especially when air-conditioning a living space. How much extra a month between 2 people would you think this would be (200-300?)

Thanks in advance

Eibow
Regular
Regular

Re: Finding ex-pat roommates to split unit in Singapore

Post by Eibow » Wed, 21 Sep 2011 2:15 am

[quote="aballoonflies"]Hey Elbow,

I am from SF and I am going to Singapore in Oct as well. I should be about your age, graduated from Davis in 08. My gf will join me in March next year. Are you interested in meeting up in SF and chat about the housing stuff in Singapore? If it goes well we can might as well look for apartment together.

I will be working at Suntec city in CBD.
please email me at lk1120 @ gmail!

GOt i was pretty lucky seeing this!

Hey, just sent you an email. "[email protected]" correct?