Singapore Expats

Indian Relocating from UK with Speeding tickets

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 31 Aug 2011 3:22 pm

BillyB wrote:
Kanecha wrote:Thanks guys for your 'heart warming' responses! I was dumb enough to think that JR8 was genuinely advising :?

Well the original intention for me & my wife was to settle in the UK. But then my wife had issues with UK immigration and could enter UK only after I became a PR here. So we waited for 2 years and also appealed the refusal in the meanwhile. The UK regulations changed in April this year making it difficult for me to settle because of my traffic offences. I was totally confused as I have an established career here.

I have now asked my employer for a relocation to Singapore. The plan was to return to UK (as a returning resident) if my application for PR here is successful (against all odds) after spending a couple of years in Singapore. If not, apply for a PR in Singapore. So that we can start a family life at least now - two years after our wedding!

Still feel I'm stepping on someone else's PR chances? Can't help! :o

(btw I've paid my speeding tickets - but under UK laws they don't become spent until after 5 years - till when you will have issues with your settlement application)
Sorry, my bad! They aren't a criminal conviction and if you didn't lose your license, because of points totting up, you should have no problems entering and driving in Singapore.
You should also have no problem with your PR in UK. it's only when the fine is not paid that it will affect the outcome. It's like having an unpaid debt that's all and not a criminal offence.

It's the same across Europe too as far as i know!

Though if you have an Insurance number which it appears that you have and you have been in the UK more than 3 years, you are already a permanent resident, so you must be talking about Citizenship rather than PR, as a foreigner could apply for citizenship after 3 years back in the 1990's, i guess that may change to slow down the influx, and it maybe a 7 year wait now like in Denmark for foreigners.

The gate posts move all the time. But you have your PR in UK already otherwise you wouldn't be working legally, check your passport for the right of abode in UK, if you have that you can freely go in and out.

For citizenship all debts must be paid off top the government before any consideration for Citizenship, including HP. This is connected to the welfare system on loans and such.

Kanecha

Post by Kanecha » Thu, 01 Sep 2011 2:57 pm

@ecureilx: Thanks. I am just thinking of moving to Singapore to be with my wife, haven't thought about applying for PR yet.
Well responses need not be sugar coated, but being blunt and to the point (like Strong Eagle) helps rather than being sarcastic!

@BillyB/KSL: thanks. yes the 'gate posts' here have changed, its 5 years for settlement and 7 for citizenship now.
Ask yourself - Who Am I?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 01 Sep 2011 3:59 pm

Kanecha wrote:@ecureilx: Thanks. I am just thinking of moving to Singapore to be with my wife, haven't thought about applying for PR yet.
Well responses need not be sugar coated, but being blunt and to the point (like Strong Eagle) helps rather than being sarcastic!

@BillyB/KSL: thanks. yes the 'gate posts' here have changed, its 5 years for settlement and 7 for citizenship now.
Can you freely leave and return within the period. Don't burn your bridges with the hope of getting into Singapore becuase you are married to a citizen, it's just not that easy.

They are keeping many married couples separated probably due to the criteria of talent they are looking for, so be very cautious about what you are giving up in the UK, As a work permit here can be terminated for no reason at all, other than to say you are not wanted.

Kanecha

Post by Kanecha » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 11:55 pm

@KSL: Agree. From what I have experienced so far I have stopped expecting any immigration to be a cakewalk. Ofcourse, I do think my qualification & experience will help ( MBA, 10 yrs with a leading global bank).

Could someone let me know if my PR application in UK is refused on grounds of my traffic offences, will the refusal have an impact on my immigration to Singapore?
Ask yourself - Who Am I?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 04 Sep 2011 12:22 am

Kanecha wrote: Could someone let me know if my PR application in UK is refused on grounds of my traffic offences, will the refusal have an impact on my immigration to Singapore?
I would have thought if anything the reverse might be the case.

In other words I don't know how the SG authorities would know that you had been refused UK PR, unless you have to declare it. However if you get UK PR and have to declare when that happened, and then apply for SG PR within a month or two later they are surely going to wonder what you are up to.

ylgp

Post by ylgp » Tue, 06 Sep 2011 4:24 am

Kanecha wrote:Thanks guys for your 'heart warming' responses! I was dumb enough to think that JR8 was genuinely advising :?
JR8 seems a bit nasty, don't let it get to you. :)

Kanecha

Alls well that ends well!

Post by Kanecha » Thu, 05 Apr 2012 5:30 am

Well guys it has been a long journey but finally it seems to be coming together. My UK PR was approved in Nov last year and subsequently my wife applied for a dependant visa in Feb - was approved last month. She will be joining me this month. I'm happy I'm not spoiling someone else's opportunity to migrate to Singapore.

Thanks for all your responses! Keep the faith!! :D
Ask yourself - Who Am I?

Allibert
Chatter
Chatter

hmm

Post by Allibert » Thu, 05 Apr 2012 8:49 pm

Congratulations.

Now you can pay your traffic offenses