Singapore Expats

Where to scuba?

Find your sports & recreational partners & Teams here.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:51 pm

[quote="ecureilx"]gee ... I never went DSD or went beyond 10 meter ..

The limit on the DSD course is 12 metres. The DSD or 'try dive' is the way many people first experience SCUBA, and subsequently get hooked. Me included! :)

I am far from being a certified diver, and not gonna head in that direction, no time in the near future ..

It is a shame since you obviously enjoy it. It would enhance your experience. Plus the fact you're not certified, and guides are taking you, means the people you're diving with are ... well, total hot-dogs.

Just because you appear oblivious to the risks does not mean they are not real and loom large each time you dive in this reckless way. They should put something like a SG-style highway gantry with flashing sign on the beach for you 'You're clearly nuts, consider your loved ones'.

:)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:56 pm

JR8 wrote:I think the clue is in that Ecu says he 'always does private dives with an instructor'.

Believe it or not you can do the PADI Discover Scuba Diving course (aka resort dive, try dive) 1-1 with an instructor, or a DM with DSD Instructor status - even if you cannot swim. I know many Pro's who find that (cough) a little surprising, but given the level of supervision being provided...

So I wonder if Ecu has done repetitive DSD's? There was a guy in Tioman doing this just last week. He probably didn't even realise, just thought he had a 'private guide'.

Other stuff mentioned is just so wrong on many levels, where to begin?
- Panicking in divers ... I'd say the biggest trigger in students is breathing with their face submerged. Most are naturally happy, but some just flip. Nothing to do with being able to swim.
- Task loading. You have a lot to think about while diving, and can only deal with so much before going nuts and killing yourself. Donning 30kg of gear and jumping in the sea and not being able to swim doesn't really help matters.
- Flipper was a dolphin. the things on your feet are called fins.
I think it's called a discovery dive. It's just for someone to feel how it is to scuba dive in a controlled environment--a gateway drug, if you will, so that the person will eventually take an open water course. When I took my course, one in our group did the discovery dive instead because she couldn't bloody make up her mind. I think it's done in just deep enough water to submerge a person. I think it's likened to a thrill ride or something.

And not to be pedant but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimfin
Swimfins, swim fins, fins or flippers are worn on the foot or leg and made from finlike rubber or plastic, to aid movement through the water in water sports activities such as swimming, bodyboarding, bodysurfing, kneeboarding, riverboarding, and various types of underwater diving.
:mrgreen:

EDIT: aw, dammit; JR8's post on the discovery dive came in first.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 1:21 pm

nakatago wrote: EDIT: aw, dammit; JR8's post on the discovery dive came in first.
Dontcha just hate that :)

To continue the pedantry. You often hear people refer to divers breathing oxygen. Of course it's not though, it is simply compressed air. In fact breathing oxygen in water at a depth of 6 metres+ would kill you.

You don't dive with 'tanks' of air they are bottles. Tanks are what drive over infantry.
[This is perhaps ironic pedantry originating from the British military and their school of choice BSAC]

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 1:46 pm

JR8 wrote:You don't dive with 'tanks' of air they are bottles. Tanks are what drive over infantry.
[This is perhaps ironic pedantry originating from the British military and their school of choice BSAC]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuba_tank
A diving cylinder, scuba tank or diving tank is a gas cylinder used to store and transport high pressure breathing gas as a component of a scuba set. It provides gas to the scuba diver through the demand valve of a diving regulator.
Lift, elevator
Truck, lorry
Wrench, spanner
Mail, post
Aluminum, aluminium
and so on, ad nauseam...

:roll:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 2:03 pm

“Laughter is an effect that arises if a tense expectation is transformed into nothing.”

jkvz2011
Regular
Regular

Post by jkvz2011 » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 2:38 pm

Is it really a requirement to be able to swim then can apply for scuba diving lessons?? I'm really interested in this hobby and have been looking around for like-minded friends to join me but to no avail.. Anyone here can give me any feedbacks? Thanks...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 4:14 pm

Yes. For example, Tioman Dive Center (PADI):
To be able to swim 200 yards and able to tread water for 10 min OR able to swim 300 yards with mask, snorkel and fins, and tread water for 10 min.
http://www.tioman-dive-centre.com/cours ... water.html

There are "easier" courses but it would be like just having only a learner's permit so you could drive.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 4:44 pm

The below is from the PADI Instructor Manual, regarding the Open Water Course (basic dive certification).

--------------
Watermanship
Before Open Water Dive 2, have student divers demonstrate
that they can comfortably maintain themselves in water too
deep in which to stand by completing a 10-minute swim/
float without using any swim aids.
At some point before certification, have students complete
a 200 metre/yard continuous surface swim or a 300 metre/
yard swim with mask, fins and snorkel.
If conditions warrant, students may wear an exposure suit as long
as they are weighted for neutral buoyancy.
----------------

So if you cannot meet the above requirements you cannot get certified.

What is it that you are trying to do JK? Do you want to just try/experience diving, or do you want to take it up as a sport/hobby?

SCUBA training tends to be course-based, and not lesson-based. (The exception being the BSAC convention but let's overlook that (lol)).

I'm happy to field any more questions you might have, so fire away.

jkvz2011
Regular
Regular

Post by jkvz2011 » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 12:41 am

So anyone here gg for any scuba trips anytime soon? please let me know,if my schedule allows me,i will be very keen to join you guys... Thanks...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 1:55 am

Did you read what I wrote JK?
Did you understand it? Can you swim?

jkvz2011
Regular
Regular

Post by jkvz2011 » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 11:17 am

Hi,i'm interested in taking up scuba diving as a sport,and i can swim even though i don't swim regularly..

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 3:25 pm

Ok well that is good, and it doesn't matter that you don't swim regularly.

The usual route in would be that do the Open Water certification. That is a lifetime license and it usually takes four days to complete. You can reduce that by doing the study on-line rather than on the beach, but in a way going and doing the four days in one place with one instructor in one go is simpler (and cheaper).

That course (offered by PADI) licenses you to dive to 18m, and for most people it is the gateway ahead. It is the kind of thing that you might consider doing if you have a week away and don't fancy just sitting around on the beach.

TriniNades

Post by TriniNades » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 4:54 pm

Any suggested dive shops to go through in Singapore? Just for local dive sites. Are there any decent local dive sites? I'm planning on eventually doing 4 day weekends over SEA but just for a weekend dive I need a big of local insite on where to go and who to see. Any suggestions??

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 5:29 pm

TriniNades wrote:Any suggested dive shops to go through in Singapore?

This one. Has all you want but is $$$ (example: most gear is Scubapro, they seem to carry no budget product lines)
http://www.diveshop-sg.com/contact-us.php

Another is 'Sports Centre' on the corner of Beach Road of Beach Road and Bussorah Street. Friendly owner, carry many product lines including budget products.
http://www.sportscenter.com.sg/

Just for local dive sites. Are there any decent local dive sites?

In Singapore? In a nutshell no, the water is silty and really churned up. Some people dive Pulau Hantu to do their OW certifying dives but the vis. might be 0.5m, maybe not what you're looking for.

I'm planning on eventually doing 4 day weekends over SEA but just for a weekend dive I need a big of local insite on where to go and who to see. Any suggestions??

4 day weekends is a good idea. In general I'd avoid the west coast of Malaysia as the water is pretty turbid (brown with silt). The east coast you have the Perhentians, Redang, Tioman. Note they close for monsoon from Nov - say mid February. Phuket is nice. All of those can be done as long weekends.

You could even get some diving in on a 4 day trip to Sipidan or Lembeh Straits. It comes down to what kind of diving you want to enjoy and how much $ you have! :)

Return to “Sports & Recreational Partners & Team”