Singapore Expats

Easy weight loss - need advice

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 5:12 pm

what's the verdict on OATS and oatmeal (porridge)...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

snowysummer

Post by snowysummer » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 6:46 pm

I am not a v disciplined person and always get tempted by this food paradize that i live in! Would slimming centres be the easy way out? I know definitely there's a price to pay. But see stars like Christy chung the spokesperson for marie france is super envy her figure.. I still uncertain if i should go for slimming centres anot. I think I just sign up for the free stuff for fb welcome pack first and try try the free product and treatment.

SaiB

Post by SaiB » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:06 am

In ALL MY YEARS,

The best

and the healthiest (which is an understatement btw)

Is an Alkaline Diet.

The difference it makes physically is profound, but the difference mentally is even greater, you become sharper and wittier than ever before. Its almost like that guy from limitless, your mind becomes unbelievably efficient.

Google it, you'll find websites about it.

But it is not easy

Sai

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 8:33 pm

taxico wrote:what's the verdict on OATS and oatmeal (porridge)...
Highly recommended, Oats are low on the Glycemic Index, and high in protein, can be a little boring so spice up with flax seeds and sunflower seeds.

Porridge is also an excellent snack too if you are craving!

Anything nice is probably cholesterol, it's a known fact that all good tasting foods have cholesterol to improve the feel and taste of foods to the tongue :-|

You cannot go wrong if you change your lifestyle to a low and medium Glycemic value, though loading is important too, so read up on it at www.glycemicindex.com

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 9:58 pm

i'm big on fish, but i usually go for the canned variety (tuna/salmon) as my wife and i can't... cook. omelettes are out for the same reason.

i'm used to an australian brand but wonder if any one has recommendations.

porridge doesn't keep me full as long as smoked turkey and veggie salad does. i usually buy the ready-to-eat bagged salad.

i might mix them all as a breakfast meal. i should really plan meals according to the GI values... ahhh. me lazy.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 21 Jul 2011 10:45 am

taxico wrote:i'm big on fish, but i usually go for the canned variety (tuna/salmon) as my wife and i can't... cook. omelettes are out for the same reason.

i'm used to an australian brand but wonder if any one has recommendations.

porridge doesn't keep me full as long as smoked turkey and veggie salad does. i usually buy the ready-to-eat bagged salad.

i might mix them all as a breakfast meal. i should really plan meals according to the GI values... ahhh. me lazy.
GI values... ahhh. me lazy
You don't really have to diet, just cut down on the junk food, processed foods are just full of tasty nasties, i like them too, but weight is the consequence of sugar overload. Just cutting down on them will help in the long run, however to kick start that metabolism and liver, you need to starve off the sugar, which is effecting the insulin.

I also lost 25kg in 2005, at 1kg per week with no diet other than a healthy one, and i'm 2 weeks into weight control again and have dropped 3. kg, though i'm also training in the gym and running 10k , 3 hrs of hard work :cry: but i need it off, without cutting my food as i don't eat much, I eat bad, so choosing more carefully should do the trick!

Update: I am now weighing in at 89 kg from 94

skepticalplastic

Post by skepticalplastic » Tue, 23 Aug 2011 9:47 am

Hi SMS,

It's me again. I'm keen in your secrets/program in losing so much weight as I'm currently overweight and need to lose 10-15kg within this year. PLEASE share here or PM me. TIA!

coachrizal

Post by coachrizal » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 1:08 pm

Theoretically 1kg of fat has 7700 calories of energy. Basically, the strategy is to reduce your daily calories intake and increase your basal metabolic rate by increasing your muscles mass.

2ndly, ensure that you spread the meals throughout the day. Our body convert the food from our mouth to a usable form for about 3-4hrs. Hunger will put our body in " defense" mode which will slow down metabolism and release cortisol.

3rdly, try to convert to paleo diet.

On top of all this, exercise exercise exercise! It can be deliberate exercise or by increasing your daily activities.

For effective execises which you can do at home.

Try kettlebell training. It is very potent and knee-friendly for heavy people. American Council on Exercise(ACE) researched that it can burn 20.2 cal/min. Kettlebell is high intensity which balance between strength and cardio. The body wil burn tons of calories when it goes into EPOC mode.

solicitation removed

leggybabe

Post by leggybabe » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 1:17 am

Dear SMS,

May I ask for your weight loss programme?
I have been swimming for months but it seems not much help and I can't jog or run due to previous ankle injuries.

I will be very grateful if you can help me!

My email is [email protected]

Thankyou!
The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for. -Allan K. Chalmers

Milton

Weight Loss

Post by Milton » Mon, 03 Oct 2011 9:16 pm

Hi everyone, ever heard of slimming using the TCM technique: Accuputure cum dietary programm suited for the individuals???

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Weight Loss

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Oct 2011 10:19 pm

Milton wrote:Hi everyone, ever heard of slimming using the TCM technique: Accuputure cum dietary programm suited for the individuals???
tic...toc...tic...toc...

:devil:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kinderjoy
Regular
Regular

Re: Weight Loss

Post by kinderjoy » Mon, 24 Oct 2011 4:07 am

Milton wrote:Hi everyone, ever heard of slimming using the TCM technique: Accuputure cum dietary programm suited for the individuals???
my best fren did her TMC slimming and lost 4kg in 5 weeks. well. i duno is this the best result for them. but i think is quite effective.. they ask her dun exercise cos she will become worse if she did. but i have another fren did and lose 3kg only. so i duno shd i try as well.. what do u think? :?

babyangel11
Regular
Regular

Post by babyangel11 » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 1:18 am

tinkerbell88 wrote:Dear jkvz2011,
I went to my doc and got some professional advice on weight loss, from a diet sheet to an exercise programme. She put me on a high fibre, low GI diet, and made me keep a food diary. I took 2 types of tablets, one an appetite suppressant and another a high fibre supplement. I was brisk walking 4 times a week, for 45 minutes on average and sticking quite strictly to my programme. The meds gave me a boost in my energy levels, and also helped suppress my appetite, lost 5 kg in 2 months, which was reasonable, and that included eating my favourite dessert (ice-cream) at the weekends. I could cheat a bit, so it didn't feel like I was some on some healthfreak, crazed starvation diet, and didn't get the mood swings as one does on the Atkin's diet. I was gradually taken off the meds and now try to eat 4 small meals a day, with no carbs after 7pm. It feels a lot more natural, and it's easier now, especially with a food diary. I also got Thermage for my tummy, which helped melt about 2.5 inches off my love-handles. It's a non-surgical body contouring procedure that is FDA approved, and it's a one time thing, and over the last 6 months, I saw a nice result.
I stilll see my personal trainer once a week, between my brisk walks and the occasional swim, just to keep myself in check. Got 1-2 more kgs to lose, but I am now within a healthy BMI range.
The ultimate long term solution is still exercise and a healthy diet.. get a personal trainer if you need a bit of a nudge for the motivation. It helps. :D

Hi tinkerbell888

May i check which doctor did you go to for your Thermage treatment n how much did you pay?

Was there any discomfort during the treatment cos i heard there could be alot of heat n some may not be able to take it??

Also how long did you see results after you did thermage? And was your tummy also less flabby after the treatment? More like a "wash board" after gaining the results? :D

2.5 inches loss is pretty good n im keen to know more.

Sorry for the many questions.

Thanks! :)

cflee

Post by cflee » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 2:54 pm

leggybabe wrote:Dear SMS,

May I ask for your weight loss programme?
I have been swimming for months but it seems not much help and I can't jog or run due to previous ankle injuries.

I will be very grateful if you can help me!

My email is [email protected]

Thankyou!
Hi leggybabe,

I went to see a physiotherapist due to my spine problem and she recommended a wieght loss programme for me to reduce weight. quite effective, I loss 8kg in two months.

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 9:31 am

Didn't listen to my own advice for the last few months and have turned into a bit of a porker - too much work, not enough exercise and eating all the good tasting food has all brought me to the point that I now have to put too much energy into resolving the problem.

Back onto the Atkins then! :(