Singapore Expats

UK-qualified GP looking to work in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
alinadcruz

UK-qualified GP looking to work in Singapore

Post by alinadcruz » Wed, 06 Apr 2011 9:48 pm

My husband and I are looking to move to Singapore next year through his job. I am also hoping to work there, but unsure how I can go about looking for job and if my skills would be in demand.

I am GP (General Practitioner/Family Doctor) qualified at a top London Medical School, with MRCGP professional qualifications as well.

I would love to hear from other expat doctors as to how they found the experience of applying/working in Singapore

Thanks

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: UK-qualified GP looking to work in Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 07 Apr 2011 10:10 am

alinadcruz wrote:My husband and I are looking to move to Singapore next year through his job. I am also hoping to work there, but unsure how I can go about looking for job and if my skills would be in demand.

I am GP (General Practitioner/Family Doctor) qualified at a top London Medical School, with MRCGP professional qualifications as well.

I would love to hear from other expat doctors as to how they found the experience of applying/working in Singapore

Thanks
The best place to start with, would be SMC, and then, look up the govt hospitals .. Private hospitals need a longer process to secure SMC approval, and Govt hospitals endorse faster ..

you don't have PM, so I am unable to advice you further.

Cheers

alinadcruz

Post by alinadcruz » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 3:36 am

I was hoping to find work in a primary care clinic/surgery, rather than a hospital. I know about accreditation with the SMC, I just dont know how to find a job.

Is there somewhere where primary care jobs are advertised?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 5:14 am

alinadcruz wrote:I was hoping to find work in a primary care clinic/surgery, rather than a hospital. I know about accreditation with the SMC, I just dont know how to find a job.

Before you look for jobs, this is your first start

http://www.moh.gov.sg/mohcorp/careers.aspx?id=264

Primary Care Giver or PMO whether in private or government has to go thru this process. You need to get this first
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 10:08 am

alinadcruz wrote:I was hoping to find work in a primary care clinic/surgery, rather than a hospital. I know about accreditation with the SMC, I just dont know how to find a job.

SM has given out the MOH link ..

it is a bit of a work you need to do, to skip the hospital work, Or you can jump into the Polyclinics, again, through the govt ..

Well, your MRCGP may fast track it ..

If you have PM, do PM me, and I can give some pointers. Plus some known openings.

For going private practice- you can forget it for the time being ..

PS: Paywise- you maybe surprised as to how little foreign doctors get paid .. so much so, a colleagues wife found it not worth to go through the long working hours ..

cm71

GP in Singapore

Post by cm71 » Tue, 23 Aug 2011 1:41 pm

Hi, I am also a GP who has relocated with spouse to Singapore. I would be grateful on tips to join a private clinic and how one goes about looking for a job. I am familiar with the SMC procedure but unsure of what I can expect to get paid/ type of contract to expect/ flexibility/ weekend work etc. I wasn't looking at a polyclinic because of the inability of one to work part time ( I have been told..), thanks for any advice.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: GP in Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 23 Aug 2011 1:58 pm

cm71 wrote:Hi, I am also a GP who has relocated with spouse to Singapore. I would be grateful on tips to join a private clinic and how one goes about looking for a job. I am familiar with the SMC procedure but unsure of what I can expect to get paid/ type of contract to expect/ flexibility/ weekend work etc. I wasn't looking at a polyclinic because of the inability of one to work part time ( I have been told..), thanks for any advice.
if you have read up on SMC, then you should know that unless you are endorsed by SMC, you cannot work in private clinics ..

Or did I miss something ??

cm71

Post by cm71 » Tue, 23 Aug 2011 2:52 pm

Yes I am aware of the procedure for SMC registration to work in private clinics but it requires me to find a 'supervisor 'for a period of time as registration will be conditional initially.
The only way so far for me has been to meet different practices to see if GPs would agree to be supervisors rather than a job website/ magazine where posts may be advertised. Also no idea re pay to expect as a GP, working hrs , flexibility as mentioned before.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 23 Aug 2011 4:33 pm

cm71 wrote:Yes I am aware of the procedure for SMC registration to work in private clinics but it requires me to find a 'supervisor 'for a period of time as registration will be conditional initially.
The only way so far for me has been to meet different practices to see if GPs would agree to be supervisors rather than a job website/ magazine where posts may be advertised. Also no idea re pay to expect as a GP, working hrs , flexibility as mentioned before.
let me give you a little secret: It is unlikely or virtually impossible for SMC to approve you, if you are going to be under supervision, under any private clinic .. private hospitals, the chance goes better, and public hospitals, is the highest, from what I know, as the public hospitals have a lot of accountability ..

Locums get paid between 400 $ to 800 $ a day. no comments .. and no doctors in private practice want to share their profit .. :D :D

my 2 cents says, look up govt hospitals, and then doing your time there, see how receptive SMC is, to moving on ..

cheers ..

PS: further up, Mad Scientist has repeated the above comments of mine ..

cm71

Post by cm71 » Tue, 23 Aug 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks for the advice ; maybe best to approach the hospitals first in that case.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 23 Aug 2011 5:22 pm

cm71 wrote:Thanks for the advice ; maybe best to approach the hospitals first in that case.
in case you are lost, look up Singhealth, and National healthcare group .. then the rest .. :D :D

NU

Post by NU » Mon, 05 Sep 2011 11:21 am

Hi CM 71 any joy with your job search?
I am also a Uk qualified Gp who has relocated to sg. Would be very grateful for any advice or your experiences in applying for jobs here

devuk

GP

Post by devuk » Tue, 24 Jan 2012 7:20 pm

Bobby, Still looking for a GP?

zantac

tips

Post by zantac » Fri, 13 Apr 2012 8:56 pm

Hi,

I see few ppl are looking for an opening at private clinic here or looking for a supervisor.

We moved last year from UK to work here, he is consultant at one of SG Hospital and has friends who are GP in SG.

Don't know how much I am (more he ) is to help but glad to give pointers if
anyone needs them.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 15 Apr 2012 1:36 am

My GP here in Singapore tells me the pay is not good in Singapore at all for GP's! UK doctor's earn a great deal more! I also think this Country doesn't have any shortage of doctors and would probably take them from Chinese speaking countries if needed. Just my 2 cents.