Singapore Expats

Where Can I Buy British Groceries

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
burungkecil

Where Can I Buy British Groceries

Post by burungkecil » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 4:42 pm

Hi,

I'm making a visa run next week from Jakarta and will be spending a few hours in Singapore.

I love the food in S.E. Asia but still need the occasional taste of home.

I'll be popping in to Marks and Sparks to buy a few treats but would love to get hold of some Bird's Custard, Bisto Gravy and Golden Syrup, ideally not too far from the Orchard Road area. Does anyone know where I can buy any of the above?

Thanks

sammone40
Regular
Regular

groceries

Post by sammone40 » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 5:07 pm

Market Place in the Paragon basement and Marks and Sparks are good bets
**How many times will we say the world is not enough. Be one with the earth**

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Where Can I Buy British Groceries

Post by JR8 » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 5:43 pm

burungkecil wrote:Hi,

I'm making a visa run next week from Jakarta and will be spending a few hours in Singapore.

I love the food in S.E. Asia but still need the occasional taste of home.

I'll be popping in to Marks and Sparks to buy a few treats but would love to get hold of some Bird's Custard, Bisto Gravy and Golden Syrup, ideally not too far from the Orchard Road area. Does anyone know where I can buy any of the above?

Thanks
Just checked my tin of Golden Syrup, and it has a import lable from Cold Storage. Birds custard, I recall being surprised how easy this was to find. Now, maybe it was in my local NTUC I don't recall. But certainly CS or Marketplace are going to stock it.
Bisto.... hmm can't say. Didn't do roasts often, and when I did went for reductions and pan juices. One time I did use a packet, doing Xmas turkey and trimmings for 16, I used half pan juices and half a packet of mushroom 'McCormick (sp?)' gravy mix. That was just to guarantee enough reliable gravy for 15 Malays who probably would not know better to judge if it had have been created bottom up. Those gravy packs are widespread. Certainly CS have them.

Good luck.

p.s. What is it down in IN that merits Bisto? Just curious :)

burungkecil

Post by burungkecil » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks Sammone and JR8.

The golden syrup is to make toffee and ginger nuts while the gravy is for the occasional bangers and mash. My Indonesian wife fell in love with the stuff while on holiday in the UK recently.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 11:32 pm

burungkecil wrote:Thanks Sammone and JR8.

The golden syrup is to make toffee and ginger nuts while the gravy is for the occasional bangers and mash. My Indonesian wife fell in love with the stuff while on holiday in the UK recently.
OIC. I use Golden Syrup in home-made 'choco crisp' biscuits beats the pants off the packet variety and so easy to make.

Ooh bangers & mash! Haven't had that in a while! :)

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Thu, 18 Aug 2011 9:51 pm

I had my first taste of clotted cream on toast just last month (in Seoul!). I was wondering if anybody knows where I can get them here in Singapore...? I checked Carrefour (I know they have European stuff) but didn't find any.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 18 Aug 2011 9:56 pm

Clotted cream vs France.

I think not! :?

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:05 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:I had my first taste of clotted cream on toast just last month (in Seoul!). I was wondering if anybody knows where I can get them here in Singapore...? I checked Carrefour (I know they have European stuff) but didn't find any.
Clotted cream is so easy to make, but you do need to find heavy cream that isn't ultra-pasteurized. Jones the Grocer? Tierney's?

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:09 am

Definately head to Marketplace in the basement at Paragon. They have quite a large range of Waitrose products there on a separate shelving section (to the left of the checkout when you enter). Be prepared to pay for it though...

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 1:20 pm

Also try Tanglin Marketplace in the basement Tanglin Mall (not to be confused with Tanglin Shopping Centre as I did when I first arrived from Jakarta!)

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Sat, 20 Aug 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks cbavasi and curiousgeorge! I'll check those places. :)
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Robo

Post by Robo » Tue, 30 Aug 2011 9:50 pm

Jasons Supermarket, Orchard Towers next to Harry's Bar