Singapore Expats

Another policy tightening is on the horizon :(

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
bobypf
Regular
Regular

Another policy tightening is on the horizon :(

Post by bobypf » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 1:06 am

Guys, I just read about the latest speech of PM Lee on the National Day yesterday and I'm very worried about the new upcoming tightening up on the foreign workers.

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/ED ... gn-workers

What do you think of this? Are they only throwing dust in the eyes of the locals or we can expect another real tightening up? How worse the situation can get?

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 8:27 am

The Governments responsibility is to the Citizens of Singapore. As long as they don’t cut to the point of hurting the economy they are doing the right thing.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 9:25 am

It's going to get real rough. Seriously. What we have been seeing in the last two years and even more in the last 4 months is only scratching the surface. I reckon we are going to start seeing a lot of EP holders, with "barely there" credentials, not getting EPs renewed when they come up for renewals. I also wouldn't be surprised to see levies for EP holders at some point in the future as well. They are going after the sources and are going to try to stop it there. The sources? The Singaporean company directors who lament, just like the Singaporean employees, that foreigners are taking all the jobs (but not revealing that they themselves are the ones guilty of doing the hiring of same). If they make it painful enough on the bottom line, they will have to hire locals instead of foreigners. Most of the current foreign PMETs are S pass & Q/P2. They have already tightened up the S pass levies & hiring criteria, but the employers are just giving a higher basic to the S pass holder, in line with the levy increases and converting them to Q passes if they can.

I see levies for the Q passes first and then followed by P2's. OR the income levels will be raised to such a level that it will hurt the companies. (or force more to do illegal kickbacks - but MOM is stepping up checks there as well). It doesn't look good.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:48 am

I am happy I have a PEP, but my wife may well be effected on her P2.... Might have to think about applying for PR....
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:52 am

richie303 wrote:I am happy I have a PEP, but my wife may well be effected on her P2.... Might have to think about applying for PR....
I may be affected as well; let's see...I had my P2 renewed last November so I'm still good until 2012. I've decided I won't go for PR anymore...I guess it's just a matter of time when to use the PEP option (I qualify).

:?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:59 am

I was previously on P1 and have now been on PEP for the last 2.5 years, I'll be applying for PR by the end of the year (after I get married, wifey has been PR since 2007) so hopefully my chances shouldn't be reduced by any of the announcements as I'll have the requisite 3 years of tax returns etc... + I have masters :D

Just have to see what happens I guess, if they don't want me we'll have to take a look at other places (God knows where though, after seeing the UK last week the desirability of there has gone right down! :? )
I HAVE MASTERS!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:03 am

....hmmmm...when to use the one-shot, five-year card. When indeed. Yessss....

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 1:30 pm

That may well come on the firing line as well, if it hasn't already. In fact, we are seeing lots of rejections of applications for PEPs already for the past year. Before, as soon as you got a P1 visa you were sent a letter asking you if you would like to be considered for the PEP. Now, if at all, might be a better position, and even then, keeping the fingers crossed may well apply.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 1:50 pm

For what it's worth, I have a plan D as well...

Oi vei...

bobypf
Regular
Regular

Post by bobypf » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 2:09 pm

Calmday wrote:The Governments responsibility is to the Citizens of Singapore. As long as they don’t cut to the point of hurting the economy they are doing the right thing.
This is very interesting because so far I haven't seen a Singaporean who has difficulties finding a job. They just apply, get interviewed and then get hired. So I can't understand what do they complain of. I have many singaporean friends who acknowledge this. It's just very easy for them to find a job.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 2:12 pm

bobypf wrote:
Calmday wrote:The Governments responsibility is to the Citizens of Singapore. As long as they don’t cut to the point of hurting the economy they are doing the right thing.
This is very interesting because so far I haven't seen a Singaporean who has difficulties finding a job. They just apply, get interviewed and then get hired. So I can't understand what do they complain of. I have many singaporean friends who acknowledge this. It's just very easy for them to find a job.
http://youtu.be/brj2UkUPjCI DERKA-DURR!!!

andrew22

Post by andrew22 » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 7:31 pm

Yeesh. Somewhat confusing speech highlighting new salary criteria for EP, when an increase just went into effect last month. Have to wonder what 'tightening' of education qualifications means as well...here's to hoping that it will be closer checks on degree authenticity/institution quality.

Anyways, it truly is an unfortunate time to be right in that lower level EP target range. Wondering if I should just ask my employer to go ahead and apply EP now instead of working the next 6 months on WHP and then moving to EP...things could get worse I guess?

I have to say, I understand that I am a foreigner here, but it is still somewhat frustrating to see so many complaints of 'few job openings' and 'high unemployment.' More openings than candidates, and 2.1% unemployment are the reality...it's hard to understand where these complaints are coming from, or why they're so prevalent.

bobypf
Regular
Regular

Post by bobypf » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 8:07 pm

andrew22 wrote: I have to say, I understand that I am a foreigner here, but it is still somewhat frustrating to see so many complaints of 'few job openings' and 'high unemployment.' More openings than candidates, and 2.1% unemployment are the reality...it's hard to understand where these complaints are coming from, or why they're so prevalent.
Yes, this was my point. To start working if you're a local is a piece of cake. Been there, seen that. What the fcuk they complain of, I don't understand. But the truth is that they have no idea of the whole EP procedure and they think it's the same for the foreigners - just apply and get hired. I really like the singaporeans, I have many friends amongst them but I really think they are pretty naive people.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:23 pm

This post is like an old women's coffee morning - worrying about sh*t you have no control over!!

The speech is addressing the recent changes to salary thresholds and the proposed measures to tighten up on some of the crap foreign talent that slips through the net - and rightly so. Why should someone with a fake degree get an opportunity they don't deserve?

It sounds that in the past foreigners had it easy and that has clouded our expectations. Working in a foreign Country isn't a 'get out' card. It should be tough to work oversea's, dictated by resourcing requirements and it should be people who have worked hard, achieved success and have proven records that get the opportunity. Not because you are sick of your home Country.

I get the impression on this forum that people see SG as an 'easy' place to find work and that any tightening in legislation is seen as 'anti-foreigner' measures. Might be partly true after the elections, but my view on this is changing particularly when you look at what's happened to other Countries (such as the UK) when the floodgates open and they let anyone in.

:devil:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:07 pm

Billy, frankly I'm damned glad to see it come. Far too many totally useless FT's here, and most are overpaid to boot. The Gahmen only have themselves to blame, eschewing common sense in their quest for higher GDP and "look at us patting ourselves on the back" that they like to flaunt around the world. Now, they are paying the price and FT's are going to learn what it was like 30 years ago, the hoops one had to jump through to come here. It was far to easy for the past 12-15 years. They could actually get ride of probablly 60% of the FT's currently here and not even dent their GDP. Of course, the locals would have to change their habits as well then, as they would actually have to do some work instead of just finding ways to take the credit for what others have done........ :-|