Singapore Expats

Keeping PR Status When Studying Overseas

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
MaktabMakruh

Keeping PR Status When Studying Overseas

Post by MaktabMakruh » Sun, 07 Aug 2011 10:18 pm

Hi All,

I have the following query and would very much appreciate input/ advice.

I am a Singapore PR who works in the finance industry. I've been a PR for the past three years and my re-entry permit is due to expire in a couple of years time. Now I've been thinking of furthering my studies by doing an MBA and hope to go to one of the more reputable institutions in the United States, after which I intend to return to Singapore to work on a permanent basis, presumably back in the finance industry, definitely in the corporate world.

If (and this is a big 'if') I do get accepted into a good school in the States, I could end up flying off sometime in the final year of the re-entry permit to start my course. The issue of course is whether the re-entry permit can be renewed from overseas. Can it?

Do note that I would have spent four out of the five years of my current re-entry permit in gainful employment in Singapore, it's just that the final year would have been spent overseas. Moreover, my intention would be to return to Singapore after my studies (I have no intention at all of working in the US, especially given that its economy seems to be permanently screwed). I understand that theoretically, you should be in employment at the point of application and should have been working for the past three years, but how strict are the ICA officers with enforcing this?

In the event of this being impossible, the back-up plan is to renew the re-entry permit, go overseas for the MBA, and then return to Singapore. Only problem is, the opportune time to do my MBA would then be in the second and third years of my new re-entry permit. This means that even if I were to return to Singapore and find a job, when it comes to the next renewal, I would have only spent the past two years in gainful employment in Singapore. If you count the total number of years, it would be three (the first year of the re-entry permit and the last two years) but they would not be consecutive.

Again, how strict are the ICA officers with regards to obeying the letter of the law?

I'd appreciate it if people were able to advise on this issue since there may not be any point in studying overseas if it were to jeopardise my Singapore PR status.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Aug 2011 11:06 pm

If you are going overseas to do an MBA, usually ICA will extend your re-entry permit to the point where you should finish your MBA and return home. You would need a letter of acceptance and a visit to ICA I believe, before you depart to go to the school. Not to sure of the actual mechanics of it, but I do know it is possible to extend or renew the REP IF you are furthering your schooling.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

MaktabMakruh

Post by MaktabMakruh » Sun, 07 Aug 2011 11:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you are going overseas to do an MBA, usually ICA will extend your re-entry permit to the point where you should finish your MBA and return home. You would need a letter of acceptance and a visit to ICA I believe, before you depart to go to the school. Not to sure of the actual mechanics of it, but I do know it is possible to extend or renew the REP IF you are furthering your schooling.
Thanks for the response. Does it matter whether your MBA is being sponsored by an employer or whether it's by yourself/ family? I can see why they'd be more willing to extend the REP in the former case because there's a higher chance of the individual returning to Singapore to work (due to company bond).

What about the second scenario i.e. I go off for a potential MBA after the REP is renewed, and the potential problems I mentioned.