Singapore Expats

Looks like we're on our way out...?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Looks like we're on our way out...?

Post by poodlek » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 11:15 am

Management in my hubby's company is truly awful...unlike anything I've ever heard of in a large corporation. This week three key (expat) players have tendered their resignations and it looks as if my husband will follow suit. He's tired of fighting to maintain operations when upper management seems hell bent on sabotaging (against all logic, for purely egoic reasons) the whole deal. It's really disappointing, we came here with such high hopes for this project, it could have been something truly remarkable. As per his contract, he is required to give six months notice, so it looks like I'll be back in Canada just after the new year! I'm pretty stoked about that- I'll be able to work again if I want to, not to mention CHEAP BEER. :love:

I so wish I could share all the details of the saga, just for discussion purposes, but I fear retribution if my comments get traced back to me, as I know they could. I'll save it for the last day :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuBRk6tjiUQ

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 5:01 am

Sad to hear that it has come to this conclusion for you and the family, poodlek
Sometimes when the the testerone level are high, people just do not think straight.
Anyway good luck and take care

ms
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 5:27 am

:cry: Sorry to hear that...

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 9:15 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:Sad to hear that it has come to this conclusion for you and the family, poodlek
Sometimes when the the testerone level are high, people just do not think straight.
Anyway good luck and take care

ms
It's funny you say that, the offender in question happens to be a woman. Granted, she is a sock-with-sandals type, if you catch my drift :-P

I really can't wrap my head around what she's doing-it's sorta like she figures if she's going to fail she's going to take everyone down with her. But the only thing she needs to do to succeed is take two steps back and let everyone do their jobs. #-o

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 9:33 pm

On a lighter note DH is seriously talking about buying a cottage in northern Ontario and being snow bunnies/sitting out on the dock drinking beer for a year. Chances are he'd get another job with one of the departing directors before a year is up, but I think I'll enjoy the fantasy while it lasts :-D

*Actual photo of my mom's cottage in Sesekinika, Ontario

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sat, 09 Jul 2011 10:11 pm

The plot thickens...how do I find out if a certain piece of legislation exists, and if it exists its details? Rumour has it (and the rumour has been substantiated several times) that the project my husband is working on will be terminated early. A counter rumour exists that the project can't be terminated because it exists to fulfill a requirement of the parent company's operational license. If the gov't has mandated such a thing, it should be on public record somewhere, no? I think it's safe to say that if the parent company won't lose its license (ie has only to pay a fine), the project will be terminated months early.

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 6:41 pm

That sucks! I hope you are happy with your move, and cheap beer in itself sounds worthwhile :)
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 9:37 pm

poodlek wrote:..how do I find out if a certain piece of legislation exists, and if it exists its details? ...If the gov't has mandated such a thing, it should be on public record somewhere, no?
e-hansard records at the singapore parliament website or the statutes directory at the singapore attorney-general's website.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 9:53 pm

taxico wrote:
poodlek wrote:..how do I find out if a certain piece of legislation exists, and if it exists its details? ...If the gov't has mandated such a thing, it should be on public record somewhere, no?
e-hansard records at the singapore parliament website or the statutes directory at the singapore attorney-general's website.
Thanks taxico! You might imagine how irritating it is to try to make life/career decisions based on rumours and sources who have been known to lie to your face. I'll have a look there.

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 9:32 am

Sorry to hear about the job not working out but congrats on getting out of here. I fantasize about the day I get to move on.