Singapore Expats

Recommendation for movers from Ontario, Canada to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
mettabodhi

Recommendation for movers from Ontario, Canada to Singapore

Post by mettabodhi » Sat, 30 Jul 2011 7:09 am

Hi all,
I am moving from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada to Singapore and like to get some recommendation for movers. I don't have enough things for a container so will be sharing a container with other shipments. A few pieces of furniture (dresser and filing cabinets) and the rest of the items are mostly books, clothes and small electronics (no TV, etc).

Kindly recommend movers for the move. I used Crown before but was not impressed.

Thanks!

ChicaDelMar

Post by ChicaDelMar » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 1:15 pm

Everything seems really expensive here so far (furniture wise), but I know there is an IKEA and I've heard that's reasonable, so if you're not opposed to furnishing with their stuff you may be okay.

I know clothing wise, before I came over I spent time shopping at home and in the US because everyone told me clothes were superexpensive.

mettabodhi

Post by mettabodhi » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks for the information. Any recommendation regarding movers? I have two Atlas agents coming over for quotes including one contacted via Atlass website and the other by referral. I also contacted Tippet Richardson but the people left a not so positive image follwing my 3 (yes, not just one) calls to get a quote from them. They didn't want to come to give a quote and I guess might be the distance (I am in Hamilton vs they are in Toronto). Anyway, didn't get good reviews for them on the web so passing them up. Would apprecdaite to get another 1-2 quotes for comparison.
Thanks!

Tigerslayer
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Tigerslayer » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 10:50 pm

ChicaDelMar wrote:I know clothing wise, before I came over I spent time shopping at home and in the US because everyone told me clothes were superexpensive.
This be true, I definitely recommend a day trip to Buffalo to stock up on brand clothing if you can make it because over here anything named brand seems crazily priced.

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 1:07 pm

Not having moved from Canada I can't give a name, however, I am sure it will fit to the same as I did in the UK, the model in International shipping is generally the same.

Basically, any mover in Canada could be great, but if they use a half assed team of people over here in the back fo a nissan cabstar and throw your stuff around like they don't care then you are screwed! Most (even large) companies will use 3 agents for shipping... Themselves with their shiny nice articulated trucks and nicely polished salesmen in your home country, a shipping agent to ship the container and a moving company over in Singapore who will do the customs work for you and deliver and unpack your stuff when it arrives.

Make sure you are informed of the company that ships the stuff and the company that delivers here, they are the ones you will probably have more issues with if you aren't informed or have a choice!

Sorry I cannot be more specific but this website http://www.fidi.com/index.html?page=49&lang=en& is pretty good, we used it to check ours and only had one breakage (a bulb from a lamp, which we replaced ourselves!)
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

mettabodhi

Post by mettabodhi » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks for all the information provided. Oh yes, I have to say from what I have heard or seen, a lot of things are cheaper in North America especially the States including electronics, clothes and even toiletries.
Books, stationery, and food in general are cheaper in Singpaore but however, if for non-food court style, then North American can be cheaper like the buffet in hotels in Singapore can be rather expensive.

Thanks again!