Singapore Expats

Visa for Employment

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
indfo

Visa for Employment

Post by indfo » Mon, 01 Aug 2011 10:01 pm

Hi,

I am working in India in IT field as a Manager in a Fortune 10 company. I have been trying for various jobs in Job portals but not been able to get any interview calls as well.

With over 9 years of experience I am finding it hard to get any interview calls too!

I do not have any valid visa to work in singapore, but was looking at a company who would help sponsor the same. I have worked for a year in Singapore earlier but the Visa is no longer valid.

What is the best option to get a Work Permit/Visa/Job!
(For EPEC - I have not done my education in the selected universities)

Is there a consultant who can help? Or what are the other options?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Aug 2011 10:29 pm

Have you bothered to do any research on this board at all? Have you gone to the MOM website? If you've worked here before, then you should already know that the only way you can get a Employment Visa is if you can find an employer who will sponsor you. You have to find the job first then the company applies for the visa. You cannot apply for the visa yourself. An agency may sign you on as a contract staff, but that job might be over in 3 months, 6 months or longer.

Do some research. Start here: http://www.mom.gov.sg/Pages/default.aspx
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

indfo

Post by indfo » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:46 am

Thanks for the MOM link. I have done some research there and on this forum as well. I do understand that a company there need to sponsor.
But are there agencies that help in doing the same?

My desperation is because I have applied 100's of jobs though job-portals, but many require a permit to even apply. Its like a vicious circle, no-job then no visa, and no visa then no job! :) :(

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:54 am

There is no such thing as a permit. You are seeing jobs that the employers want only citizens or PRs (Permanent Residents). They are not the same as Employment Pass holders.

The only option was the landed PR. That, however, has been stopped w.e.f. the 30 of June. Even if you find an employer willing to give you a shot, you still have to qualify for the position AND the employer also has to explain to the MOM WHY they need to hire a foreigner, if there are sufficient locals suitably qualified to do the job already here.

You might want to rethink about coming here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 12:28 pm

One interesting tid-bit I heard last week was that at the place I work at (a large MNC in the financial sector) the hiring managers have been told that they are no longer allowed to hire people direct from India, as the company is in the process of setting up an IT centre there so won't pay to relocate people when they can just hire them into the Indian office instead.

For hires into Singapore, only locals and foreigners from other countries will be considered.

Considering that 50% of the guys in IT in Singapore currently are Indian (hence meaning they take up 100s if not 1000s of jobs), that's a lot of jobs that Indians will no longer be able to apply for when people leave and replacements are needed, and all new jobs are going to India. It's going to make it a lot more difficult for Indians to come to Singapore in future if other companies go down the same path (which I'm hearing a lot are). Of course, there will be more jobs in India so they can stay there and apply for those instead
I HAVE MASTERS!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 3:00 pm

This isn't surprising me a bit.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 3:39 pm

JayCee wrote:One interesting tid-bit I heard last week was that at the place I work at (a large MNC in the financial sector) the hiring managers have been told that they are no longer allowed to hire people direct from India, as the company is in the process of setting up an IT centre there so won't pay to relocate people when they can just hire them into the Indian office instead.

For hires into Singapore, only locals and foreigners from other countries will be considered.

Considering that 50% of the guys in IT in Singapore currently are Indian (hence meaning they take up 100s if not 1000s of jobs), that's a lot of jobs that Indians will no longer be able to apply for when people leave and replacements are needed, and all new jobs are going to India. It's going to make it a lot more difficult for Indians to come to Singapore in future if other companies go down the same path (which I'm hearing a lot are). Of course, there will be more jobs in India so they can stay there and apply for those instead
I know which bank you are talking about. In fact what I heard is that they are going to transfer most of their projects to their Pune(India) office.

Banks have done terribly this quarter and most have announced layoffs. Hiring in Singapore Banks is going to slow down significantly. A much needed trigger to cool down the housing rents. Have you guys seen the HDB rents recently 2.2k for a 2 bedder. With average salaries just 5k doesn't make any sense for Indians to come over to Singapore in any case. They would live a much better life in an Indian city and invest and save more as well.
Last edited by revhappy on Tue, 02 Aug 2011 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 3:43 pm

JayCee wrote:One interesting tid-bit I heard last week was that at the place I work at (a large MNC in the financial sector) the hiring managers have been told that they are no longer allowed to hire people direct from India, as the company is in the process of setting up an IT centre there so won't pay to relocate people when they can just hire them into the Indian office instead.

Isn't India losing the appeal as an offshore cost centre now? I heard quite a few of the banks were looking at NZ and were prepared to pay higher wages in return for political stability, a common language, better quality of work and less job hopping from IT staff. But the earthquake raised too many questions about the environmental stability of the Country.

Now I'm hearing Indonesia is going to boom in the next decade, with quite a few of the yank banks in the process of shifting large chunks of their ops and support roles over there.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 3:49 pm

India has a large pool of IT talent that other countries dont have. The IT talent in other centers like SG, Malaysia, NZ or whereever is also mainly Indians. So yeah India is less attractive now as a cheap destination but is there a cheaper alternative?

For Indonesia to develop into a major IT center, you would have to get Indians to relocate there, which is not going to happen :lol:

Already, I have heard that companies in KL are having trouble finding good talent due the distance of Cyberjaya and Putrajaya from the city.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 4:20 pm

What I'd like to see is all those Indian entrepreneurs establish their R&D centers in India and not just BPO or IT services. Give China a run for its money just so the world won't be dependent on China alone.

But alas...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 5:02 pm

revhappy wrote:India has a large pool of IT talent that other countries dont have. The IT talent in other centers like SG, Malaysia, NZ or whereever is also mainly Indians. So yeah India is less attractive now as a cheap destination but is there a cheaper alternative?

For Indonesia to develop into a major IT center, you would have to get Indians to relocate there, which is not going to happen :lol:

Already, I have heard that companies in KL are having trouble finding good talent due the distance of Cyberjaya and Putrajaya from the city.
I too don't see the logic behind using Indo at all, but I disagree in that you won't get Indians or anyone for that matter to re-locate there. You throw in a decent global brand and they'll gladly move and put up with all sorts of sh*t.

But Indo is corrupt, suffers high staff turnover and is a logistical nightmare because of the congestion. Similar scenario a few global banks are facing in the Philippines on their cost cutting - dressed up as some transformational initiative.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:18 pm

There you go, talk of the devil....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/ ... 4Q20110802

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:38 pm

revhappy wrote:There you go, talk of the devil....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/ ... 4Q20110802
The fun has only just begun. Wait until the trading desks start feeling the effects of volatility without any trending.......