Singapore Expats

Backpacking in Vietnam - Any interesting recommendation/tip?

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Backpacking in Vietnam - Any interesting recommendation/tip?

Post by the lynx » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 5:38 pm

Going to backpack solo in Vietnam this August from HCMC to Hanoi (gonna take 3-4 weeks). Well, did my homework a bit on the places, food, culture and all. Relied on Lonely Planet for that too but I figure that personal experience shared by fellow forum friends would be great...

My questions to Vietnamese/those familiar with Vietnam: Any personal recommendation/advice and friendly tips? Must-go, must-see, must-do list? Anything to watch out for?

:D

josh.h

Post by josh.h » Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:35 am

Hello Lynx,

You may want to check out the Cu Chi Tunnels. http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/As ... -BR-1.html

Besides being able to walk through the tunnels that witnessed the war, you can also test your shooting skills at the firing range. :D

Bluemoon77

Post by Bluemoon77 » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 8:59 am

I really enjoyed Hoi An and Hue when I was there. There are quite a few tailors in Hoi An, and you can get clothes made fairly cheaply. It also has a lot of beautiful historical sights. Hue also has many historical places to visit and is also quite beautiful since it is right on the river.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 9:52 am

I agree on Hoi An because its a very interesting and nice place to go. Alot of conservation houses with nice pictures and the ambience is great. Its my fav part of Vietnam.

Hanoi is nice if you take a river cruise and see the limestone. Beside that, not too much going on there.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks everyone.

Another question, should I use USD or VND there? I do hear that USD is widely used but which one is better?

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 4:30 pm

Change some VND because things will be cheaper but bring some USD as spare changes.

mu-ee

Post by mu-ee » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 3:29 pm

Hey Lynx, I am interested to go Hanoi. Have PMed you, did you receive it? It seems to be stuck in my outbox. =/
Without PASSION, there is no DRIVE. Without FOCUS, there is no DIRECTION. Ready for the big plunge...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 3:35 pm

mu-ee wrote:It seems to be stuck in my outbox. =/
FYI: PMs stay in your outbox until the recipient reads it.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

mu-ee

Post by mu-ee » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 3:41 pm

ooo... I thought it is still pending to be sent. Thanks for the information! =)
Without PASSION, there is no DRIVE. Without FOCUS, there is no DIRECTION. Ready for the big plunge...

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 4:27 pm

mu-ee wrote:ooo... I thought it is still pending to be sent. Thanks for the information! =)
Yeah got it. Replied. :D

melren

Post by melren » Mon, 01 Aug 2011 1:09 am

the lynx wrote:Thanks everyone.

Another question, should I use USD or VND there? I do hear that USD is widely used but which one is better?
Yea USD is widely used but it rather great to have VND for spare changes esp for cab fare.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:29 am

Hello everyone!

I am now back in Singapore. Just finished my Vietnam (and Cambodia too - that was a detour) trip.

Really amazing! Period.

And what you guys said about Hoi An and VND/USD are so true!
Thanks for the tips :D

trudywee76

Post by trudywee76 » Sun, 16 Oct 2011 7:28 am

There are many things that you can do in Vietnam, following are some travelling tips that you may wish to adopt when you are there ...

http://www.travelasiaforum.com/forumdis ... ?2-Vietnam