Singapore Expats

KTM Train Track...er...Trek

Find your sports & recreational partners & Teams here.
nakatago

KTM Train Track...er...Trek

Post by nakatago » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:19 am

So, last Saturday, as I was walking towards Buona Vista MRT station, I noticed a number of people ON the train tracks. I realized that the service stopped already (I haven't been keeping in touch with the local news). People must be there checking out how it is, knowing there won't be a train coming to mow them down.

Come Sunday, I decided to go out on my bicycle. Then, on the intersection of Commonwealth Avenue and North Buona Vista, I thought, "Here's my chance to check out the train tracks." So, I took my bicycle down to the train tracks. I took a few glances and decided to pedal my way to Tanjong Pagar until I actually reach the place or I get too tired, quit and get off the tracks.

Cycling on frehly-abandoned train tracks with sharp rocks is fun--for the first five minutes. The next hour and a half is s#!+ difficult. Other people who were walking on the train tracks must have been thinking, "Whoa, what's this guy smoking and why isn't he sharing?!?"

It was an interesting ride though. There were a lot of amateur photographers excited to look at new stuff, families making it a Sunday affair, a couple having their pre-wedding pictures taken, another guy with a bicycle who must have decided it's better to just walk it, abandoned shanties and other curious folk.

Six kilometers later, I found myself at the train depot, cordoned off and with small crowds playing on the tracks. That's where I got off the tracks and found my way to the roads and eventually home.

Maybe I'll try heading to Woodlands next week.

/in before "cool story, bro." and TL;DR.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

mu-ee

Post by mu-ee » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 12:51 am

Aiya everyone is heading there... I have tried cycling up to the woodlands waterfront on one of the weekend nights and its beautiful. And families gather there with the kids regardless of how late it already was. Was on the other side of the waters and I could even hear music coming from Malaysia. The next time I'm there maybe I would try getting the passport ready. Maybe we will be allowed to cycle in and grab some supper? Any food place near the checkpoint?

The next place to go will be the new place in Punggol. Think it has yet to be completed though.
Without PASSION, there is no DRIVE. Without FOCUS, there is no DIRECTION. Ready for the big plunge...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 11:27 am

haven't heard anyone crossing the causeway by bicycle. actually, i haven't taken my bicycle that far up north since it just never came up.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."