Singapore Expats

Reactivating a SIM card

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Venomrush

Reactivating a SIM card

Post by Venomrush » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 6:54 pm

When I arrived in Singapore a few years ago, I bought a SIM card at the airport.

But I haven't been in Singapore nor using it for the past year and it seems to be deactivated, cannot get signal when roaming.

I want to ask:

1. How easy is it to reactivate the SIM card? What's the process?
2. How many SIM cards per person/passport?

Cheers!

nakatago

Re: Reactivating a SIM card

Post by nakatago » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 7:31 pm

Venomrush wrote:When I arrived in Singapore a few years ago, I bought a SIM card at the airport.

But I haven't been in Singapore nor using it for the past year and it seems to be deactivated, cannot get signal when roaming.

I want to ask:

1. How easy is it to reactivate the SIM card? What's the process?
2. How many SIM cards per person/passport?

Cheers!
If it's prepaid and you never topped up the past year, your card's 'expired.' Buy a new one.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 8:12 pm

Most only have around a one month life span I believe.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 8:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Most only have around a one month life span I believe.
SIM card usually good for a year... any top of value gone in a month or 60 days.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 8:18 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Most only have around a one month life span I believe.
SIM card usually good for a year... any top of value gone in a month or 60 days.
Mine's five months from last top up. I was on Singtel then I had my number ported to Starhub.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 10:49 pm

actually, i would be interested to know if post-paid sims can be reactivated. i have heaps of them... paying $30 sounds a little ridiculous given that i have so many..
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:21 pm

taxico wrote:actually, i would be interested to know if post-paid sims can be reactivated. i have heaps of them... paying $30 sounds a little ridiculous given that i have so many..
What's $30?

For post paid, it depends if the telco only suspended your account. Technically, all sim cards can be "reactivated" in the sense that they can be "reformatted" them as if new or reassigned new numbers (but I doubt that they will).

Venomrush

Post by Venomrush » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:10 am

Just had a quick call to Singtel
They said my number has been 'recycled' and was advised to get a new number on next arrival.

They advised me to 'top-up at least once a month' to prevent number getting recalled and recycled..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:38 am

Venomrush wrote:Just had a quick call to Singtel
They said my number has been 'recycled' and was advised to get a new number on next arrival.

They advised me to 'top-up at least once a month' to prevent number getting recalled and recycled..
pre-paids expire 6 months from the last top up .. and no "ACTIVATION" for pre-paids .. and the top up will say when it will expire .. for regular (10$ / 20$ top ups is / was 60 months .. )

Post paid, well, the telcos find it cheaper to issue a new SIM card, that muck around with the SIM Identifier and patch it back ..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:40 am

taxico wrote:actually, i would be interested to know if post-paid sims can be reactivated. i have heaps of them... paying $30 sounds a little ridiculous given that i have so many..
In reality, any SIM card - say Singtel, can be attached to another Singtel Number .. but, as I said, telcos find it faster and easier to give out a new SIM, and also make 30 $ fo the sim .. but replacement sim charges are waived if you ask nicely ;) ;)

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 3:56 pm

nakatago wrote:
What's $30?
what he said! (finger pointing to the quote below)
ecureilx wrote:... but, as I said, telcos find it faster and easier to give out a new SIM, and also make 30 $ for the sim ...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 4:02 pm

taxico wrote: what he said! (finger pointing to the quote below)
maybe the tail overtook the nose ?? :D :D

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 4:08 pm

taxico wrote:
nakatago wrote:
What's $30?
what he said! (finger pointing to the quote below)
ecureilx wrote:... but, as I said, telcos find it faster and easier to give out a new SIM, and also make 30 $ for the sim ...
They charge $30 for the sim card on plans?!? Holy crap; a prepaid sim card only costs 10 bucks! My singtel sim card costed 10 bucks; starhub charged my just 10 bucks when I had my number ported to theirs!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 4:34 pm

nakatago wrote: They charge $30 for the sim card on plans?!? Holy crap; a prepaid sim card only costs 10 bucks! My singtel sim card costed 10 bucks; starhub charged my just 10 bucks when I had my number ported to theirs!
They "QUOTE" 30 $, and then normally "WAIVE" to show off the soft side of Ruthless Singtel .. :D

And if somebody forgot to request, they will charge and act "BLUR"

And M1, every time you lost your SIM and asked for a replacement, you get it FOC, but with a reminder, saying, "charge of 30 $ waived for this case, but in the future there maybe a charge" .. of course, the 4 or 5 times I lost the SIM when I came back from Abroad, it was always waived .. ;)

duckylucky

Post by duckylucky » Thu, 09 Aug 2012 4:56 am

How many minutes come with the $30 sim card?