Singapore Expats

singtel mobile contract

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 2:31 pm

x9200 wrote:Are you sure you understood my suggestion because for sure I don't understand what your response has to do with it :)
I do not advise him to terminate, I advise him to continue paying the subscription fees till the end of the contracts.
Chief, I got what you mean .. but he/she is expecting not to pay the full amount .. which equates the contract period .. :D :D

The subsequent advice to seek the telco to reduce the charge is what I clarified --- that telcos will drop the 'subscription' but the equipment cost still stands .. or the pro-rated cost of the equipment, or the full price of the equipment, regardless it is one year old or not ..

Paying till end of contract is the same as termination charges, more or less ..

Venomrush

Post by Venomrush » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 6:57 pm

Ditch the contract if you have no long term plan in Singapore.

It's bad on your credit, for loan etc.

But if you plan to stay in Singapore for the rest of your life ie applying PR or citizen then pay up.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 8:15 pm

Venomrush wrote:Ditch the contract if you have no long term plan in Singapore.

But if you plan to stay in Singapore for the rest of your life ie applying PR or citizen then pay up.
Bad advice. It makes it harder on everyone else, and I will haunt the OP if he does this.

Besides, what's wrong with being honorable instead of an ethics free thief?

Venomrush

Post by Venomrush » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 8:27 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:

Bad advice. It makes it harder on everyone else, and I will haunt the OP if he does this.

Networks makes loads of money from contracts. They buy phones in bulk which themself are at a discount.

Contracts are for those whom are unwilling to pay up for full up-front cost of the phone. If you have the money, buy the phone then use SIM-only plans.

The margin is big, a 2 years contract they're getting at least 50% profit per contract (friend in the industry told me). The plan itself doesn't cost that much anyway, most people never hit their monthly limit. They're happy to let a few customers go away with bad credit.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 8:40 pm

Venomrush wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

Networks makes loads of money from contracts. They buy phones in bulk which themself are at a discount.

Contracts are for those whom are unwilling to pay up for full up-front cost of the phone. If you have the money, buy the phone then use SIM-only plans.

The margin is big, a 2 years contract they're getting at least 50% profit per contract (friend in the industry told me). The plan itself doesn't cost that much anyway, most people never hit their monthly limit. They're happy to let a few customers go away with bad credit.
So, you think it's OK to be a contract cheat? You've made your morals and ethics obvious.

Venomrush

Post by Venomrush » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 8:57 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: So, you think it's OK to be a contract cheat? You've made your morals and ethics obvious.
If I'm leaving Singapore for good I will cheat.

Do you think the networks are reasonable/flexible with their termination fee/clause?

If OP is half way through the contract, then it's no loss to the network if he ditch. My judgement is base on this fact :)

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 10:19 pm

Venomrush wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: So, you think it's OK to be a contract cheat? You've made your morals and ethics obvious.
If I'm leaving Singapore for good I will cheat.

Do you think the networks are reasonable/flexible with their termination fee/clause?

If OP is half way through the contract, then it's no loss to the network if he ditch. My judgement is base on this fact :)
I think your word is not worth a bucket of spit. You know what you are getting into, you sign the deal, then rationalize why you don't need to uphold your end of the bargain.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 10:21 pm

Venomrush, you are a disgrace to your parents, family, friends and colleagues. Maybe you would be better served by taking your venom to the Angry Board as we don't really need that kind of reputation on this board. Not much different than a common thief.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Venomrush

Post by Venomrush » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 10:59 pm

Apologies, just raising my opinion.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 9:52 am

Venomrush wrote: .............
I wouldn't claim innocence, for the contracts, as, almost all Telcos make sure you understand the terms and conditions .. like termination charges, equipment costs etc ...

If you think the telcos are skimming off the poor, then you should vote with your wallet and not patronise them, and not sign up, and then break the contract, and try to teach 'em a lesson .. says my 2 cents ..

And businesses, are businesses, if everybody runs for a loss, then there will be no businesses .. and BTW, Singtel is Public listed :D :D

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:56 am

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

As soon as the paperwork is signed a deal has been made and all parties are supposed to agree to the terms of it. It's fine to negotiate an exit or a change in the terms but legally it only comes to friendly terms and not through a right.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 1:55 pm

Actually if you want to transfer to another person to take over your line, the fee is only about SGD26.00 (the last time I checked)

All you need to do is to is to bring yourself and that person to any Singtel centre with EP/NRIC and such. Your friend must have a proof of billing address so that you can transfer to him. Explain to the information counter that you are leaving and you wanna transfer the contract to another party. Take number and when it's your turn, do your thing.

So what would happen is that the customer service officer will transfer your contract to his name and billing address and it will take effect during the next billing date.

If going over is a hassle, you can do a call-in or fax or e-mail. Give Singtel a call (be prepared to spend 20 minutes or so 'on hold'), and explain to the officer that you are leaving SOON and you need to transfer to other people.

Most of the time the officer would rather you to go down to the centre with your friend actually. But if you speak politely and sternly, they'll eventually allow you to submit a letter of authorisation (that you so-and-so with FIN number so-and-so, intend to transfer to so-and-so with FIN number so-and-so at the new billing address so-and-so because you are leaving and you would like the transfer to take effect from so-and-so date) via fax or email together with all the relevant documents.

Do make it clear to them that you are leaving soon and you do not have the convenience and luxury to go down there with your friend before your 'departure' date so you are offering to submit the documents via fax and e-mail. That way, they'd be willing to assist you. If they still refuse, make it clear to them that their refusal will affect the bill payment as you won't be able to pay their bills (hence they will have to submit because nothing is worse than disappearing act) and the new contract holder is already kind enough to see to it that the bills are paid for the rest of the contract time.

This is the best advice I can give.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 Jul 2011 4:37 am

ecureilx wrote:Paying till end of contract is the same as termination charges, more or less ..
Even the OP said something different and I can also say something different from my contracts. You assume somehow that these are always a fair and prorated termination charge. Not necessary. I.e. one of my 2y contracts on BB mobile has a fixed early termination fee of $500. I can terminate 1 month before the end and end up paying $500 with the subscription fees of $14. So your truth is not that universal Chief.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Jul 2011 1:32 pm

x9200 wrote: Even the OP said something different and I can also say something different from my contracts. You assume somehow that these are always a fair and prorated termination charge. Not necessary. I.e. one of my 2y contracts on BB mobile has a fixed early termination fee of $500. I can terminate 1 month before the end and end up paying $500 with the subscription fees of $14. So your truth is not that universal Chief.
My bad .. I think I lost the plot ..

In any case, I would still suggest the OP read through the T & C, if he / she has it .. which will specify each and every charge + termination + middle of the contract termination etc ... before coming up with some brainwave .. (other than to do a scoot .. ) :D :D