Singapore Expats

Employment Pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kaizoku9873

Employment Pass

Post by kaizoku9873 » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:06 am

Hi friends,

I have been studying in Singapore for 6 years. Graduating from polytechnic and local university. I am fresh graduate, found a job, and currently applying for employment pass. I am planning to stay in Singapore, so I am planning to take up PR asap. Recently, my EP application is rejected. I am graduated from poly with merit and have first class honours degree; and found a job from well-know Singapore company. Is it that difficult to get an EP? Should I consider S pass? Is the chance of getting PR from EP is higher than S Pass? I need some advices from you guys. Thanks in advance.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:22 pm

Reason for rejection?
I HAVE MASTERS!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 2:17 pm

Ethnicity?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kaizoku9873

Post by kaizoku9873 » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks for the reply. Company's HR told me there is no reason. My ethnicity is Chinese. It got rejected on the same day as the application date. I am currently on student pass and expiring in about 3 weeks time. Based on the qualification i have, i should be able to get the EP. Could it mismatch of details. I read on one of the thread in this forum, the EP was rejected 15 min after it had been submitted. My student pass adress is different from the address i use in the EP application. Could this be the problem? The application was submitted through EP Online.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 5:33 pm

No, the reason, in all probability is the fact that you have no experience. Therefore you do not have anything that sets you apart or makes you more valuable that a local fresh graduate. Therefore MOM says hire a local. Until you get experience you are going to have a bit of a problem trying to get a job here in Singapore now. You might have been told the opposite before or when you first started school here, but times have changed. Now, EPEC's are being rejected out of hand even though the school is a listed one on MOM's list. No more are graduates being offered LPR while still in school in hopes that they will sink roots here. Those days are done and dusted. Will be a long, long time before we see that again, if ever.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

wkwoods

Post by wkwoods » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 6:04 pm

SMS, you and I have been here long enough to know that during the last major recession after the Asian Crisis, the foreigners all fled Singapore, PR or not. It will come again.....

kaizoku9873

Post by kaizoku9873 » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 7:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No, the reason, in all probability is the fact that you have no experience. Therefore you do not have anything that sets you apart or makes you more valuable that a local fresh graduate. Therefore MOM says hire a local. Until you get experience you are going to have a bit of a problem trying to get a job here in Singapore now. You might have been told the opposite before or when you first started school here, but times have changed. Now, EPEC's are being rejected out of hand even though the school is a listed one on MOM's list. No more are graduates being offered LPR while still in school in hopes that they will sink roots here. Those days are done and dusted. Will be a long, long time before we see that again, if ever.
The situation right now, I know. However, I can't go back to Indonesia as I have to serve 3 years bond under tuition grant agreement. we are fresh graduates with no working experience. Many of my foreign friends have started to work under EP. That's why I am shocked when mine was rejected on the date of application. my parents have spent so much money on me. and when I have found a job, I cant work. :(

Currently, my company's HR is going to appeal. If the appeal is rejected again, can I still re-appeal? what are the chances of successful appeal after being rejected? Please give me advice. I am confused now. Thanks in advanced.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 8:26 pm

wkwoods wrote:SMS, you and I have been here long enough to know that during the last major recession after the Asian Crisis, the foreigners all fled Singapore, PR or not. It will come again.....
You are exactly right. In fact, I've been here through 5 recessions and expats left in droves in all of them. But huge numbers of us stayed through it all, thick & thin. I just passed 29 years here. BUT. There is a big difference now. With the advent of FB and the other social media, LYK is no longer able to call the shots. That means, now the various agencies need to learn to dance instead of just marching jackbooted like they used to do at the command of leeky and ride roughshod over all. Now, they have been bloodied and know the bloodletting can get much worse. So, I beg to disagree up to a point. Yes, there will be a return, but no, it's never going to be lackadaisical let 'em all in like in yesteryear. Now, you are going to have to be bringing something to the table.

Until the first one or two major MNC's pack it up and move to Malaysia or Thailand or Vietnam like Evergreen did a number of years ago, that is....

Then and only then, when the local PMET's in the foreigner heavy industries all lose their jobs and none want to do the labour so the GDP takes a nosedive, then and only then, will we see a change. At the moment and for the next 4 or 5 years, it's going to be rough here until the youngsters who created the upset in the GE realize they have bitten the hand that feeds them and caused the economy to nosedive (or just a substantial dip) and the unemployment rises above the structural unemployment that they have now at 1.9% (and that's actually very low for structural unemployment as well). But I don't ever see it returning to the way things were previously.

kaizoku9873

Post by kaizoku9873 » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 9:31 am

I would really appreciate if you guys could give me advises that would help increase chances of successful appeal. I am sure you guys have seen many cases similar to mine. Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 9:54 am

kaizoku9873 wrote:
Currently, my company's HR is going to appeal. If the appeal is rejected again, can I still re-appeal? what are the chances of successful appeal after being rejected? Please give me advice. I am confused now. Thanks in advanced.
If the appeal is rejected, you are, frankly, out of luck. At least with that employer. You would need to find another employer and try with them. If they are refused an EP for you then you better figure out what you are going to do in Indonesia, as there probably isn't a future here for you. As far as the Bond goes, I'm not sure how that works. But if the company cannot justify to MOM why then need to hire a inexperienced fresh foreign graduate then they are not going to get an approval. However, often, MOM wants to see how serious the employer is about hiring the individual and will reject out of hand and then grant on appeal. So, just keep your fingers crossed.

andrew22

Re: Employment Pass

Post by andrew22 » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:16 am

[quote="kaizoku9873"][/quote]

The fact that they would deny your EP app when they have bonded you for three years is...a real head scratcher, to say the least...pretty incoherent policy. Not to mention, as far as I recall, aren't you required to search for a job in SG for at least 6 months/possibly up to one year before you are allowed to exit/dissolve the bond based on inability to find work in SG?

kaizoku9873

Post by kaizoku9873 » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:23 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
kaizoku9873 wrote:
If the appeal is rejected, you are, frankly, out of luck. At least with that employer. You would need to find another employer and try with them. If they are refused an EP for you then you better figure out what you are going to do in Indonesia, as there probably isn't a future here for you. As far as the Bond goes, I'm not sure how that works. But if the company cannot justify to MOM why then need to hire a inexperienced fresh foreign graduate then they are not going to get an approval. However, often, MOM wants to see how serious the employer is about hiring the individual and will reject out of hand and then grant on appeal. So, just keep your fingers crossed.
Thank you for your quick reply. Could this be on company case? I have a few Indonesian and Malaysian friends who have many working experience like me, but granted EP within a week. Now they are working with EP. In term of qualifications, I think we have almost the same. So, I just do not understand why. I am trying to figure out what else could cause the rejection.

kaizoku9873

Post by kaizoku9873 » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:42 am

andrew22 wrote:
kaizoku9873 wrote:
The fact that they would deny your EP app when they have bonded you for three years is...a real head scratcher, to say the least...pretty incoherent policy. Not to mention, as far as I recall, aren't you required to search for a job in SG for at least 6 months/possibly up to one year before you are allowed to exit/dissolve the bond based on inability to find work in SG?
Yes. I have two bonds concurrently from my poly and university grant. That's why I am really confused as I am stuck and do not know what to do if the appeal is rejected. I am planning to settle down in Singapore. Now I can just hope for the best outcome.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 26 Jul 2011 10:33 am

kaizoku9873 wrote: Yes. I have two bonds concurrently from my poly and university grant. That's why I am really confused as I am stuck and do not know what to do if the appeal is rejected. I am planning to settle down in Singapore. Now I can just hope for the best outcome.
If the govt. sponsored your studies and bonded you then I am pretty sure you are supposed to get a PR IPA that gets converted to PR when you find a job. With a PR IPA you have better changes of getting a job......

You should consider not find a job a blessing in disguise.... Examine the exit clause for bond if you are not able to find a job in Singapore.

Best part is you have no visa have to go home and someone sponsored your study for free.

Head for greener pastures.........

frekedech

Post by frekedech » Sat, 30 Jul 2011 2:32 pm

kaizoku9873 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Company's HR told me there is no reason. My ethnicity is Chinese. It got rejected on the same day as the application date. I am currently on student pass and expiring in about 3 weeks time. Based on the qualification i have, i should be able to get the EP. Could it mismatch of details. I read on one of the thread in this forum, the EP was rejected 15 min after it had been submitted. My student pass adress is different from the address i use in the EP application. Could this be the problem? The application was submitted through EP Online.
We are in the same blue! I am Indonesian chinese poly graduate with 3-yr bond to serve. I have been here for 5yrs. My application was rejected at the same day and the company I'm going to work for is not small though. When I asked MOM, they told me to ask HR (too bad its saturday already).

I think I will visit MOE next monday to enquire them about this, how could we get to work when our pass is rejected? :shock: