Singapore Expats

The lot of S'poreans...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 8:46 pm

poodlek wrote:Even though I know she won't reply to this, I have to note that I find it interesting that WIMH finds this forum to be anti-local. Yes there are still a few rather negative folks but as far as I have noticed there has mostly been interesting discussion of the differences between locals and foreigners (this thread being the exception-it seemed out to start something that never actually materialized). Yes foreigners find certain things annoying about locals' behavior, but I am certain that sentiment runs both ways and isn't something to get excited or defensive about. It is, however, interesting to talk about.

I'm going to posit a theory: local folks like WIMH and that guy who started the "accent" thread are a little hypersensitive to the type of straight talk that is typical of Americans in particular (notice he insinuated SMS was being mean, when all I saw was him giving his objective advice) and Westerners in general, because they are more used to the beat-around-the-bush, say-what-I-think-you-want-to-hear type of communication that is typical in Asia.

Singapore is a pretty good place. It's not perfect, though. If all we did here was talk about the good things about Singapore we'd end up sounding like the gahmen ;-) it's the bad things that are most interesting to discuss-so don't get upset that we like to hash it out. If we all thought Singapore was so horrible we wouldn't be here. :-)
+ 1

Unfortunately constructive criticism isn't something that they take well here, because our countries are not perfect we're not allowed to talk about anyone else's
I HAVE MASTERS!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 9:56 pm

[quote="Wind In My Hair"][
Anyway, this discussion probably won't lead to any good outcome so I'm just giving notice that I won't be responding to any of your replies to this post, which doesn't mean that I stand down (I learnt from JR8 that I have to make this clear).

Oh nice WIMH, I've not even posted in this thread and you're queuing me up for fisticuffs. 'Subtle' Asian style debate eh, not lol.

/quote]

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:07 pm

I thiink we all work within we have been brought up with. In SG it is not unusual to max out the loans that are available.

Ditto in Europe, just in Europe the market is much wider and fmore lexible.

If SGns could take out loans to buy 5 units to let, and make a profit on the venture, do you think they would refuse it?

In Europe it has been down to 'buyer beware', and if you stuff up it's your fault. In SG, it's 'there is so little choice and flexibility, you are not able to sttuff up.

Which is 'preferable'?

saturdaynitespecial

Post by saturdaynitespecial » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:20 pm

nakatago wrote:
taxico wrote:hdb flats were designed to be an appreciating asset for singaporeans, with different types so that the citizens will aspire to work harder and "upgrade" to a better type (4-room + 5-room in resale, BTO or DBSS form + maisonette and ECs).
So I guess "were" is the operative word; the new flats are comedically smaller than the, ahem, established flats.
=============================

I learnt a new word today ...comedically

Don't kill the language!!!! Should it be comically???? Did u pass the "O" levels English???

Another poster used "wandering" when it should be wondering!!!

. :o

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:38 pm

saturdaynitespecial wrote:
nakatago wrote:
taxico wrote:hdb flats were designed to be an appreciating asset for singaporeans, with different types so that the citizens will aspire to work harder and "upgrade" to a better type (4-room + 5-room in resale, BTO or DBSS form + maisonette and ECs).
So I guess "were" is the operative word; the new flats are comedically smaller than the, ahem, established flats.

Don't kill the language!!!! Should it be comically???? Did u pass the "O" levels English???

What's your point? Are you done trolling?

And "don't kill the language"? Please... This coming from a person who uses "u" instead of "you."
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

saturdaynitespecial

That's why I said that I learnt a new word today....

Post by saturdaynitespecial » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:51 pm

nakatago wrote:
nakatago wrote: So I guess "were" is the operative word; the new flats are comedically smaller than the, ahem, established flats.

============================================
I stand corrected. That's why I said that I learnt a new word today.

:cool:

And "don't kill the language"? Please... This coming from a person who uses "u" instead of "you."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:55 pm

Good try Saturday but "U" are yesterday. "U" tried and were found wanting. Again, "U"'ve been hoist by "U"r own petard. Sometimes maybe "U" should stick to just cutting and pasting......
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:56 pm

longstebe wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote: Let me ask you a question - do you really view foreigners and locals as rivals? And if so, why adopt the model of football hooliganism instead of the more sportsmanlike and gentlemanly rivalry we see in say tennis?
A little over the top I think.
Football hooliganism was once termed as "certain european" disease...
I think what WIMH is trying put across is by using football club allegiance as an analogy, one may interpret it as an attempt to create greater animosity between foreigners & Singaporeans. Overly sensitive some say?

Well,the fissure is all apparent this year and I WONDER if any of us here had that tingling sensation of growing discontent with foreigners?
Last edited by Manthink on Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:58 pm

x9200 wrote:WIMH does not act any different than we (these who criticize) do. It's a fatigue factor and we all are a bit hypoersensitive.
It is certainly not my intention to criticize WIMH, she (I think, right?) seems to be a person of fine standing and good moral fibre. I was just suggesting that her idea of this board being anti-local was more a matter of personal perspective than foreigners actually hating on Singers.

BTW I don't get what you mean by 'fatigue factor'

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:11 pm

JayCee wrote:Unfortunately constructive criticism isn't something that they take well here, because our countries are not perfect we're not allowed to talk about anyone else's
And neither are Singaporeans, like the rest of humanities, are "perfect" beings. They do have emotions, suffer from indulgence, exhibit financial stupidities and love owning $50,000 COE cars. ;)

However, in the context of OP comment, constructive criticism it is not.

saturdaynitespecial

Post by saturdaynitespecial » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Good try Saturday but "U" are yesterday. "U" tried and were found wanting. Again, "U"'ve been hoist by "U"r own petard. Sometimes maybe "U" should stick to just cutting and pasting......

===============================================

Why don't you reply to my feedback about the topic in this thread, if you are a person of any substance????

Anyway English is not my mother tongue. My first language is Mandarin.

Therefore the occasional slip-ups are understandable.

:cool: :cool:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:17 pm

fatigue factor. Good analogy. Like of like PTS syndrome one gets after return after a long haul in-country (I had a very mild version - I was very lucky) after Vietnam. We've all been dealing with the ever-increasing rhetoric against foreigners since Sept of 2009. It's has steady gotten stronger and stronger until the climax of the recent GE where the gahmen's lax entry criteria was soundly thrashed by the local opposition who were/are against that free entry policy. This has caused a tightening up and criteria and lots of rejections, both in initial applications and in renewals. We (foreigners) are tired of feeling like we're targets just waiting to be lanced like an unwanted boil. Because of this we are constantly on edge and when confronted by a well spoken "local" who "holds" their ground and usually replies with facts (and the links for them). Some of us really take umbrage to it and go into attack mode more out of a defense mechanism than one of just disagreeing with the post. I think we are all having a harder time keeping our "feelings" check at the door, and are allowing them to show up in our posts as well.

But I'm probably wrong, it's just what I perceive from a day to day basis. I may well be reading the whole thing wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

saturdaynitespecial

Post by saturdaynitespecial » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:24 pm

nakatago wrote:
nakatago wrote: So I guess "were" is the operative word; the new flats are comedically smaller than the, ahem, established flats.

If u can't understand <u> that's your problem.
Know these words???

ur----> your
B4 ------> before
2-------> to

and many more......

Who said I was trolling???? You want me to dig out my past threads???

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:27 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Good try Saturday but "U" are yesterday. "U" tried and were found wanting. Again, "U"'ve been hoist by "U"r own petard. Sometimes maybe "U" should stick to just cutting and pasting......

Why don't you reply to my feedback about the topic in this thread, if you are a person of any substance????

Then one would have thought one would have had the foresight to look in the dictionary before telling another poster there was no such word. It would have saved you the embarrassment of having

and then trying to cover your blunder up by saying you first language is Mandarin, which of course makes you look even worse, especially as you can spell words like "language" correctly but cannot spell "you" correctly. Sorry, doesn't hold any water here, in fact, you've made a right royal

of yourself. In the meantime, have a good evening.

saturdaynitespecial

Post by saturdaynitespecial » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:

Then one would have thought one would have had the foresight to look in the dictionary before telling another poster there was no such word. It would have saved you the embarrassment of having

and then trying to cover your blunder up by saying you first language is Mandarin, which of course makes you look even worse, especially as you can spell words like "language" correctly but cannot spell "you" correctly. Sorry, doesn't hold any water here, in fact, you've made a right royal

of yourself. In the meantime, have a good evening.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The pot calling the kettle black....et al....

:P