Singapore Expats Forum

Yet another EP question... Opposite of most though!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Yet another EP question... Opposite of most though!

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:51 pm

Hello,

First time poster here. I've searched around and read most of the old posts, but my situation seems quite the opposite of most here, so I wanted to bounce this off the community.

I just accepted an offer in Singapore, and my company is going to apply for an EP and S-Pass for me. The S-Pass seemed odd. The law firm the company I'm going to work for uses to apply for the pass has an online status check website. I noticed in the comments "Due to possibility of rejection for requirements, also applying for S-Pass". So now of course I'm worried (hopefully needlessly).

Here are my details:
- 30yr old male
- 10yrs IT experience, 5yrs experience in specialized field
- US Citizen, born in the US.
- Caucasian. (That appears to matter for these...)
- Hired by an extremely large international MNC with a very large presence in Singapore.
- Have worked at a few other very large MNCs, including the current (soon to be previous) position at one of the most profitable and well known tech companies in the world. (a fruit vendor)
- Hired at SIN$9XXX per month salary , plus large bonuses
- Previous 5yrs of employment have all been over SIN$9XXX-11XXX per month.
- Well recognized industry certification/memberships (CISSP)
- No Degree.

Yes, I know that last one is probably what prompted the comment I read. How big of a deal is this for MOM? My new employers had no problem with it, and I didn't think it would matter either, since it doesn't at all in my field in the US. Should I be concerned? I honestly mistakenly assumed the EP P1 would be pretty much a rubber stamp. I guess I was wrong there :)

Also, there has been a delay in even submitting my application because of 'technical difficulties' with the MOM Online EP system. Has anyone else heard of this causing delays or problems recently?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 5:26 pm

If you are being paid above $9K , you should be getting P1 and P1 pass does not require you to have a degree as MOM sees it differently i.e if your employer is willing to pay that much then you are bringing something to the table which is what MOM is looking for
I am not sure why the S pass application which is totally unnecessary
Anyhow SMS can enlighten this for you
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 5:54 pm

Based on your background and pending offer, you should be a shoe-in. I wouldn't worry about the S pass thing at all.

However, to clarify for you and anybody else who might read this thread, it is always best to indicate that on an application. There are reasons against this as well though. If you apply for an EP and don't tick the box requesting consideration for a S pass if not qualified for the EP, then if you get rejected for the EP, you are sunk. You cannot appeal for S pass consideration. So you just blew your ship out of the water.

BUT. The S pass has restriction regarding dependents etc, but it covers you butt in the off chance of blowing it for the EP.

To be honest, this happens quite often for some of our S. Asian neighbors who the government sees and potential for creating an influx of relatives so often will downgrade an EP to a S to inhibit wholesale immigration of their entire families. Singapore will always hold the upper hand.

sms

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 11:00 pm

Thanks for the quick replies and good info.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 11 Jul 2011 1:16 pm

Thanks again guys, you were spot on. EP applied for July 8th, and I this morning I have my IPA for a 24 month P1.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Jul 2011 4:30 pm

:wink:

Congratulations