Singapore Expats

Question about short visitor pass / long visitor pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sganiere

Question about short visitor pass / long visitor pass

Post by sganiere » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:15 pm

All,

I have made some research on previous posts but wasn't able to find the answers I need. I have also look on the immigration website but I'm still not sure of the answer.

So, I'm keeping it short :D , my wife and I plan to come to Singapore in order to see if there is any interesting job opportunities (and I'm sure there is some :wink: ). We plan to arrive early august and stay for three months (90 days). It seems that it will be possible to stay for this three months with a visitor pass. But I have some contradictory information from websites, people I'm talking to, embassy, etc..so in the end I have understood the following: when we arrived we will have a short term visitor pass (up to 14 days) and we will need to apply for a long term visitor pass in order to stay three months.

Can someone confirm this please ? Also in order to apply for a long term visitor pass it seems required to have a local sponsor (PR or Singaporian) what happend if we don't know a local sponsor ? Are we still able to apply for a long term visa ?
Also is it possible to go out of Singapore and come back during the three months periods? (Can I go to Hong-Kong for the weekend and come back to Singapore without immigration problem?).

Sorry if those questions have been already asked (and answered), feel free to redirect me to the appropriate topics.

Thanks in advance for your help !!! :D

Regards, Simon

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:50 pm

All those words and the most important words aren't there. Where are you coming from?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sganiere

Post by sganiere » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 11:13 pm

Good point :wink: sorry

We are both Swiss !

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:45 am

Most European countries will get a standard 90 days Visa on SVP.

If you leave SG and return back, you will still get another 90 days visa as you will be seen as a genuine tourist and using SG as launching pad to other SEA countries. However do not do this visa runs to JB or Batam ever so often and the immigration borders will then view as you are moonlighting or trying to extend your stay here and abusing the system
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sganiere

Post by sganiere » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 4:52 am

Thanks for the answer, that sounds less complicated than I initially thought :wink:

Regarding the "moonlighting", our goal is just to take the opportunity to visit other countries during our stay. So no plan to go out of Singapore every weekend but I definitely go to HK or Bali during a few days :D

Again thanks for your answer !

Cheers, Simon

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 5:06 am

Make sure you write '90 days' on your arrivals form.

They will give you 30 by default otherwise.

OkLah

Post by OkLah » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:25 pm

On past visits using an Australian passport, I've always entered the exact number of days that I had truly intended to stay, 2 days, 5 days etc, but a lot less than 90. In all instances, the officer stamped a 90-day SVP on my passport, no questions asked both through Changi Airport and Tuas (by bus from KL).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 3:52 pm

Interesting.

My older stamps (going back to the 90s) are all 30 days, apart from one for 14.

Then I latterly had residency hence no stamps. But a few transits in 2010 via Changi/Seletar after giving up my LTVP and I got 90 days each time.

Who knows! :)