Singapore Expats

Transferring Australian superannuation to my CPF account

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Transferring Australian superannuation to my CPF account

Post by Splatted » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 3:59 am

Does anyone know whether Aussie super's can be transferred into CPF account?

Would be handy if I could use the funds to 'buy' a hdb flat.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 4:21 am

Hey mate !!

Long no time no hear and see. How ya being ?

Yes you can top up your CPF or your spouse if you are PR or local.

http://mycpf.cpf.gov.sg/Members/Top-Up_LO.htm
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 3:46 am

Thanks Mad Scientist,

Sorry for not replying earlier.

I've been ok. Lots happening behind the scenes so haven't been around much. How have you been?

Re my initial question, it's the rolling over bit that I think there's a problem. I don't think it's possible to access funds from my superannuation until I reach retirement age, unless I renounce my australian citizenship.

I was hoping someone might have already explored this and found a legal way of transferring the savings to CPF

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 3:53 am

Oops my bad.

Yeah you cannot touch your own OZ super until retirement age or renounce OZ citizenship. One way you can do is apply for SG citizenship , renounce OZ then reapply
Read http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/resumption/

BTw don't you have your own private super in OZ
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

OkLah

Post by OkLah » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 1:02 pm

I checked with an accountant in Sydney. According to him, even renunciation of citizenship will not entitle one to withdraw his/her superannuation. He said that it used to be allowed but the ATO has apparently wised up to the loophole that allows resumption of citizenship. So, it is now a blanket no unless you can prove that you are in severe hardship or permanently unable to work.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:24 pm

nah, my main reason for wanting to w/d it is that it's dead money sitting in superannuation.

I hardly earn anything, and I don't know squat about stock market to change the investment plan.... and in the mean time, fees eat into the super while it sits there.

At least in Singapore you can do something useful with the money like buy a hdb flat.

Ok , you can buy property also in Australia with super, by setting up a self-managed super fund... but that's all confusing for me, and apparently you have to have over $200,000 in savings for it to be worth the fees...

Oh, well.....