Singapore Expats

PEP- Need Advice

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Jun 2011 1:49 pm

madcap wrote:If you having nothing worthwhile to add just dont.
Actually, Strong Eagle, Plavt & myself are the moderators here....... :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

madcap

Post by madcap » Fri, 24 Jun 2011 2:44 pm

I agree ... While Mad Scientist and yourself are adding to the discussion i find Jaycee only nitpicking. I wonder if my nationality is anyhing to do with this?
Live Strong!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Jun 2011 3:59 pm

It meant, that if anybody gets told how or what to post, it will be by the moderators. Nothing more, nothing less. As this is a free board, as long as there are no vulgarities, ethic slurs, foul language, racist comments or such, it's open for discussion and even hijacking - unless it's been posted in the Strictly Speaking forum - the only "moderated" forum here where things have to stay on track.

Your nationality? The only thing that has to do with anything is at the moment, all the problems we are having with MOM is primarily due to Indians and their constant trying to abuse the system here and around the world. The biggest is the "collecting" of PR's in multiple countries that is rubbing people the wrong way as there is no intent to be "Permanent" at all, but just a way of abusing the system and taking a space away from "deserving" individual/families who actually wants to remain here and ultimately take up citizenship. This has also resulted in the demographics having changed by 2% which the government is now in the process of reversing, hence our admonitions about getting one's hope up.

There are some other traits that have shown up periodically on this board by Indian applicants that have tended to rub a lot of our members the wrong way as well. Not all are like that, but enough are, that most here (including some of our Indian members as well) view noobs with suspicion.

You just need to have a slightly thicker skin. I no longer have skin, but leather instead! :cool:

The following for your reading pleasure. And to help you understand why you get some of the replies you get. There are lots more here as well (these just culled from the last 5 months (and not a full selection).

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic15021.html

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic69753.html

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic71728.html

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic74693.html

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic76259.html

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic78739.html

I'm not picking on you. I'm just trying to get you to know what is happening here in Singapore.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Fri, 24 Jun 2011 5:05 pm

madcap wrote:I don't think living in ONE foreign country qualifies you to make that assumption and then state is as a fact

What i mentioned about the US is a fact. I never said it applied to every other country. Having a masters does help compared to not having one. That is also a fact. I see you are here in this forum to just nitpick and feed and massage your inflated ego. If you having nothing worthwhile to add just dont.
madcap wrote:But again I do know for a fact that having a masters definitely opens the door in most countries
:roll:

Your nationality has nothing to do with it, the fact that you are so far up your own *rse, presumably because you have a masters, that you can smell your own breath might have though

madcap

Post by madcap » Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:13 pm

You can clearly see the difference here from the response of SMS and Jaycee... one of them i actually explaining the current situation in Singapore whereas the other is just taking a cheap shot. I dont have to point out which one is being childish and immature.

SMS,

I see this as a common thing..painting people from one natonality with one common stroke ... shit happens and as far as a huge percentage of them improve with their social behavior i dont blame you for doing that.

Jaycee,

I think you are one of those people who talks sh*t on the internet because you are invisible. I would suggest you grow some balls so you can speak up in the real world. That would make you a much better person in the virtual world.
Live Strong!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 4:22 am

Getting spicy are we , madcap ?
To be fair to you the PR abusers does not curtail to the subcontinent. PRC, Peens abused this system too. Indons and M'sian will not serve NS hence abuse the system too. PRC , Peen and your fellow countrymen use SG as a stepping stone to another country namely OZ, US, UK etc.However your countrymen abused the same system 8 to 1 approx hence it became too apparent and raised alot of eyebrows with the Gahmen.
We are not painting you with the same brush, you have to thank your fellow countrymen for that.
Yes, I have to admit you guys have some of the brainest brain in this world but that does not commensurate with how to live in this world and try not to rock the boat which your countrymen seems to be doing it all the time.
That is what Jaycee trying to convey. Am I right , Jaycee ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

madcap

Post by madcap » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 1:14 pm

MS,

I am not denying any of what you said. I know some people abuse the system but what ticked me off was the way Jaycee was getting personal. Anyways my intention is to settle down in Singapore like i said i have family and the 3 hr flight back home is to good to resist. And about my fellow countrymen creating this wrong perception ... I've had to deal with some of it in the US too ... We'll cross the bridge when we get there. As of now lets see if the MOM approves my PEP.
Live Strong!

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 1:41 pm

madcap wrote: As of now lets see if the MOM approves my PEP.
Good Luck! Cos thats what you will need it in truck loads, under the current environment. And no, the masters degree doesn't mean much and neither does your previous income being greater than the threshold. The PEP scheme was introduced long long ago when Singapore needed to go out of their way to attract FT.

Now things are different. With the west still reeling under slow growth and not enough job creation, the whole world is flocking to Asia and within that Singapore is the crown jewel.

You would now ask, then why dont the MoM change their website and make it clear that PEP wont be available that easily. Well, the answer to that is, MoM wants to tread the fine line by not alienating FTs too much.

So long story short, don't have too high hopes unless you get a job offer and then have your employer apply for the EP.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Sun, 26 Jun 2011 7:38 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:Getting spicy are we , madcap ?
To be fair to you the PR abusers does not curtail to the subcontinent. PRC, Peens abused this system too. Indons and M'sian will not serve NS hence abuse the system too. PRC , Peen and your fellow countrymen use SG as a stepping stone to another country namely OZ, US, UK etc.However your countrymen abused the same system 8 to 1 approx hence it became too apparent and raised alot of eyebrows with the Gahmen.
We are not painting you with the same brush, you have to thank your fellow countrymen for that.
Yes, I have to admit you guys have some of the brainest brain in this world but that does not commensurate with how to live in this world and try not to rock the boat which your countrymen seems to be doing it all the time.
That is what Jaycee trying to convey. Am I right , Jaycee ?
Not really to be honest, I just don't like the superior attitude he has because he 'has a masters' and the way he had looked down his nose at others by saying they must have bad lives and all this other rubbish just because they don't agree with him or post what he wants to hear. The sure sign of an arrogant arsehole
Last edited by JayCee on Sun, 26 Jun 2011 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Sun, 26 Jun 2011 7:44 pm

madcap wrote:Jaycee,

I think you are one of those people who talks sh*t on the internet because you are invisible. I would suggest you grow some balls so you can speak up in the real world. That would make you a much better person in the virtual world.
I don't normally get into all this internet hardman stuff because it's a waste of time, if you can't see why I was nitpicking on your posts (due to the arrogant attitude you displayed and and gross inconsistencies in your story) then there's not much else to say. No doubt if you do make it to Singapore (very doubtful) you'll be applying for PR then coming back on the board 6 months later to complain that you want to move to Austrailia or the UK and ask why they won't let you keep your PR, undoubtably whilst also telling people to leave the forum if they don't have anything to contribute when you don't get the answer you want :roll:

I have my PEP already (and I HAVE MASTER) so it would appear that I'm a lot less invisible than you in real life, but then I'm not the one trying to convince myself and others about how my life is perfect whilst simultaneously trying to change it and move to another country far away and telling others how crap their lives are.

It was YOU that started getting personal about people first, so crying about that is pretty pathetic.

And (I feel so cheesy saying this), but as you appear to be calling me out -anytime, anywhere, clearly no-one has taught you any manners up to this point in your life so it would be my pleasure to do so

madcap

Post by madcap » Mon, 27 Jun 2011 3:40 am

Err ... Could you point me one place where i mentioned having a masters is a special thing .... all i ever did was asked people in this forum if having a masters helped in the process ...it is you who came out trying to belittle me( a sure sign that you are insecure about yourself)....Ask any psychiatrist and they would confirm what i just said. If Singapore is a place where arrogant arseholes like you live then i would rather have my PEP rejected than approved.
Live Strong!

asksaurav

Post by asksaurav » Mon, 27 Jun 2011 8:06 am

Ok from being a silent member I thought it is imperative on my part to help someone in particular someone with my background.

I have the same background as yours' and I went through the same cycle as you albeit I came here in 2009.I am also a PEP now .If you ask my honest opinion I would say with your credentials it would not be a good idea to land up here AT THIS TIME.There are many factors which constitute a satisfactory professional experience and Singapore will not provide any of them.With our nationality things are a bit rough here given that there is a pre disposition against us and subtle racial profiling even (if you graduated from MIT on distinction). The jobs here are mostly on contracts. The full time on the contrary are low paying . This place is damn expensive if you have a family with kids.

I would suggest you not to waste time here and learn the stuff I did after wasting two golden years of my professional life.

Look out for AUS/NZ

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Jun 2011 8:20 am

Okay! A voice from the trenches. asksaurav, thanks for weighing in. Sometimes a voice like yours can do wonders to somehow validate all the data we accumulate here. You came here in 2009 and looks like you slide in under the wire as it were. If you remember, it was in Sept 2009 that things started changing ever so slightly and as time went on, as you well know, things became even worse until the GE when all hell has broken loose.

Welcome back.. and thanks for the periodic updates along the way.

madcap, have a read of asksaurav's journey here:

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/search ... =asksaurav

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 27 Jun 2011 9:21 am

[quote="asksaurav"
Look out for AUS/NZ[/quote]

YOu can forget about OZ and NZ. They have up the ante on the requirement. Moreover jobs are hard to come by . NZ is having recession right now . Same goes to OZ with the current Labour gahmen in OZ, they are doing more damage than good with the carbon tax issue
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Mon, 27 Jun 2011 9:35 am

madcap wrote:Err ... Could you point me one place where i mentioned having a masters is a special thing .... all i ever did was asked people in this forum if having a masters helped in the process ...it is you who came out trying to belittle me( a sure sign that you are insecure about yourself)....Ask any psychiatrist and they would confirm what i just said. If Singapore is a place where arrogant arseholes like you live then i would rather have my PEP rejected than approved.
You might not have said it outright, but the implication was there as you belittled someone by saying they didn't have a very nice life right after it, and you didn't even pick up the sarcasm in my post about whether a masters degree makes your life better. Now you revert to type saying oh how I must be insecure, how I must see a psychiatrist blah blah blah, all stuff to try and belittle people and make you feel better about yourself. Your first contribution to this board has basically been to put people down, and you wonder why you got up mine and others noses?

I'm afraid the 'arrogant arsehole' quota has been taken up in Singapore so you'll be rejected, just as well you have a perfect life with lots of amazing job offers back in India (after being unemployed for 5 months) and are not at all desperate to get away huh? :roll:
I HAVE MASTERS!