Singapore Expats

PEP- Need Advice

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
madcap

Post by madcap » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:06 am

You have Masters ? Well good on you !! JR8 has one too !!

And how is JR8 relevant to this discussion??? And where did i mention others cant have a masters?
Live Strong!

madcap

Post by madcap » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:09 am

SMS,

And theres that mean streak ... something tells me you are not a happy person...Life is not good to you ...is it?
Live Strong!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:37 am

madcap wrote:You have Masters ? Well good on you !! JR8 has one too !!

And how is JR8 relevant to this discussion??? And where did i mention others cant have a masters?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:29 pm

madcap wrote:SMS,

And theres that mean streak ... something tells me you are not a happy person...Life is not good to you ...is it?
Is life good to you because you have a masters?

madcap

Post by madcap » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:35 pm

It cant get better ... I am looking to move to Singapore only because i have family there ... not because i cant make a livelihood where i am
Live Strong!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 1:32 pm

madcap wrote:It cant get better ... I am looking to move to Singapore only because i have family there ... not because i cant make a livelihood where i am
I thought it was only your sister in Singapore and you moved back to India for family reasons? So why move to Singapore just for one family member?

madcap

Post by madcap » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 1:47 pm

She is my only sibling...i'm not counting cousins here ...
Live Strong!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 2:34 pm

Ok, your first post stated you moved back to India for family reasons, so I assumed they were the most important family hence why you had moved back for them. Your first post also said you were just thinking about Singapore, not that you had to go there because of your sister. Now you're saying you have to go to Singapore because of your sister and the family in India that you left the US for are no longer important? I'm getting a bit confused here.

Reading between the lines it soundslike you want to go to Singapore because you'll have a better career and earn more money there than India, nothing wrong with that and it's understandable especially as you worked in the US and probably got used to receiving a higher salary, thousands of your countrymen have the same thoughts

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 4:12 pm

Madcap,

No, it's not a mean streak. It's a honest assessment of how people look at masters degrees in Singapore where it would seem every tom, hung lo & praveen has one from this university, that university or the other university and it's in the top 10 or 20 or 100 in the country, world or universe.

But, frankly, it has absolutely no bearing on my happiness or your perceived view of my unhappiness (which is your prerogative, albeit incorrect). I'm just naturally sarcastic that all. When you've been around as long as I have you tend to get that way.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

madcap

Post by madcap » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 5:59 pm

Jaycee,

You have a good imagination and are either assuming a lot of things or putting words in my mouth. I never mentioned i had to goto Singapore ...i'm considering the option because i have family there and in india(my parents). Working in India is the same and working in Singapore for me ...either ways i have to fly 2 to 3 hrs to go back home. Working in Singapore would be better than working in any of the metros in india only because i have my sister there whereas in the metros i would have to be away from family(parents or sister). Again a Singapore job is a nice to have ...not a must as i already have a few good offers lined up here.

SMS,

No offense meant or taken. It just came across that way. And about the masters i know most of the overseas professionals have one or two or more ... But again I do know for a fact that having a masters definitely opens the door in most countries. I've been in the US for 8 yrs and i know for a fact that having a masters opens you a special quota for H1B(additional 20000 per year) and helps in processing your GC(EB2 rather than the much slower EB3) ... it might not apply for SG ... i'll find out and learn soon ...
Live Strong!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 6:23 pm

I did post before stating that the FT crop now will be reduced to one third and as confirmed with the local papers they are doing it .
SO for you madcap, do not put your hope too high in landing the PEP here as those from subcontinent will be reduce greatly. The number used to be 7% and since last year it was 10%. Word on the street is the tightening will be targeted to this group and they are looking at reducing it to 6%.
As landing a job in SG is NICE TO HAVE in your own words be prepared for rejection and start looking for your other options
This is my brutal assessment but hey ,do not hear the advise from an old man as I might be senile and having delusion.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 9:13 pm

madcap wrote:
SMS,

No offense meant or taken. It just came across that way. And about the masters i know most of the overseas professionals have one or two or more ... But again I do know for a fact that having a masters definitely opens the door in most countries. ... it might not apply for SG ... i'll find out and learn soon ...
The very first thing you must learn about Singapore is that they are bloody-minded and do things their own way, the rest of the world be damned. That's why Michael Fay was caned anyway, even thought Billy Clinton tried to intervene. That why the barbaric act of caning is regularly used here as is hanging for over an ounce of weed. Yes, some companies might give you the interview, but unless they can convince the MOM that they cannot find a local/PR with suitable qualifications for the position (therein lies the rub - the position most likely doesn't require a masters to start with therefore the one that needs impressing is non-plussed over your masters. In fact, they could care less as if the position only requires a BA/BSc then there will be ample numbers of suitably qualified locals.

Now, I'm not saying you would get lucky, but I am telling you like it is. And as has been noted by MS & others here, they (the gahmen) are trying to reduce the overall numbers of professionals here from the subcontinent - it was their fault but now they are trying to rectify that and newcomers are the ones suffering (as well as those trying to get renewed).

Good luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

madcap

Post by madcap » Fri, 24 Jun 2011 4:23 am

Thanks SMS and MS for giving me a clear picture. I know it is kind of similar when applyng for PR or GC for the US and australia(people from the subcontinent have it tough everywhere) ... i'll keep u guys updated how it goes ...
Live Strong!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Fri, 24 Jun 2011 9:46 am

madcap wrote:Jaycee,

You have a good imagination and are either assuming a lot of things or putting words in my mouth. I never mentioned i had to goto Singapore ......
Hence why I put a question mark (?) in my sentence. Maybe try reading a little closer next time Mr Masters Degree with a perfect life (tm) :roll:

madcap wrote:But again I do know for a fact that having a masters definitely opens the door in most countries
I don't think living in ONE foreign country qualifies you to make that assumption and then state is as a fact

madcap

Post by madcap » Fri, 24 Jun 2011 1:08 pm

I don't think living in ONE foreign country qualifies you to make that assumption and then state is as a fact

What i mentioned about the US is a fact. I never said it applied to every other country. Having a masters does help compared to not having one. That is also a fact. I see you are here in this forum to just nitpick and feed and massage your inflated ego. If you having nothing worthwhile to add just dont.
Live Strong!