Singapore Expats

Fitness First review

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
jc2000m

Fitness First review

Post by jc2000m » Fri, 11 Feb 2011 12:00 am

Thinking about joining the platinum ones around raffles place. wondering what people think of it.
Also any idea on the initial joining fee/admin fee? and monthly fee?

MesiMumm

Post by MesiMumm » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:16 am

I have been enjoying Fitness First for a year now :)

One Raffles Quay is a decent one, i'm going there twice a week, they have there good variety of group x classes, also they give u a attire too, no swimming pool there.

The other one in Raffles is UOB Centre, thats totally crappy, very small, group x studio is outside on the roof, the floor is sandy and wet... defo my least fav Fitness First Gym...although if u like small and less crowded it might just be for u.

My fav one is def Fusionopolis, its so spacious, massive swimming pool on 25th floor!!! Again good variety of group x classes, trainers are good(most of them) Awesome view while u doing your free weights or cardio.

I think i have the gold membership, which allows me to access any FF club in sg, i pay 115monthly

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:48 am

I'd join a smaller, private gym if you are serious about your training. Unless of course you want to be harassed constantly on the phone for PT sessions and given bad training advice by a bunch of mirror pouting, sales target oriented personal trainers whose only real knowledge is based around hair products.

If you want something for convenience at lunch or after work then maybe consider some of the larger places. Membership, whether paid up front for the year or on a monthly basis, will cost you between $90-130 per month.

singtel_starhub

Post by singtel_starhub » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 1:29 pm

Fitness First is a huge scam. Please do not sign up for recurring billing. The way they dealt with me is shocking. I had to leave Singapore immediately for some reason. When Fitness First was celled to cancel the appointment, they said I had to setup an appointment and go in there physically to sign the form. I had no time and I requested them to cancel it verbally. I even changed my credit card (got a new number). After a few months, I was shocked to see that I was continued to be billed by Ftiness First. They were billing me using my old invalid credit card and the bill appeared on my new credit card. This is how outrageous this is. I think the government should do something against these scheming companies who getaway saying its according to the rules.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 7:33 pm

Honestly speaking, I've found all the big chain gyms (CFC, FF and TF) to be pretty much the same.

From my observation, Fitness First is less 'hard sell' but you need to check out the gym you will be using most regularly: go down there at the times you'll normally be training and see how packed it is. Because it is more expensive than CFC and TF, you might expect it to be less crowded... but that may not be the case. I have a corporate membership at FF and the gym closest to me at Capital Square is simply inadequate for my needs: the free weight area is far too small, it doesn't have the right equipment and the gym itself is so small it doesn't take many people to make it packed. On the upside, the Paragon branch is okay and I've also heard that the Millenia Walk, One Raffles Quay, Alexandra and Fusionopolis branches are pretty good. So far, I've only had one 'hard sell' call encouraging me to take up the complimentary introductory PT session which I declined. I've heard nothing more ever since.

At the same time I also have a personal membership at True Fitness. (I joined when it was Planet Fitness.) This place has pretty good equipment for my needs and their Vivocity branch is VERY convenient for me. However, although the previous management (under Planet Fitness) was bad enough, the current management sucks big time. When my membership expires next year, the chances are I won't be renewing. In terms of the hard sell experience, I've occasionally gotten calls about renewing my membership (although there were two years to go) and various newbie PTs have approached me in the gym. But because I go regularly to the Vivo branch, all the PTS there know I'm not interested. TF gets VERY busy during peak hours.

CFC is again a hard sell joint. I was a member there quite a few years ago and used their Republic Plaza branch exclusively. (The Orchard branch was/is/appears to be very much a gay pick-up joint.) Equipment-wise, I found it to be quite good. But there was a LOT of hard sell BS. Like TF, it gets packed at peak times.

If only it was more convenient for me, the ONE gym I would regularly go to would be Fitness Force at Cairnhill Community Centre. This is a small, 'hardcore' bodybuilding gym owned and run by the current Mr. Singapore, Kevin Chiak. It is rather small but has all the equipment and free weights you could need. It's also the official gym of the Singapore Bodybuilding Federation. So it maybe rather intimidating for the gym newbie. However, these guys really know their stuff about body transformation. If they can get their bodyfat percentage down to 3% for competition, they'll be pretty effective at helping you remove that spare tire! So, if you live in Newton or thereabouts, I would check this place out if I were you.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Grumpy77 » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 9:39 pm

Yeah, agree, they are all hard-sell but some are within the bounds and some way outside.

However, that said there are subtle differences.

CFC is and always has been more of a poser hang-out. They can be agressive but will also negotiate on price if you don't cave in on their hard sell. Hold the line and you can get it down.

Planet fitness was my favourite, not a bad thing to say about the place but since take-over...

True-fitness is quite bad. Really, I'm at Chevron House and at least one month a year there is no hot water for a full month, not just one year but now two running, and when I asked for a month rebate I was rebuffed. I'll also be looking elsewhere soon. Recently I saw a huge drain blockage on Sunday (hair, scum, general body parts), I kicked it out of the way but on Mon morning it was still there, same pieces of shampoo bottle in it, kicked it aside again. Bloody hell... Still there on Tuesday! Does no one clean the showers!!! True Fitness, Truely bad! I wear flip flops as I'm appalled at the cleanliness.

The other place, Fitness First, is just over-priced and ran such a horrid initial hard-sell on me that I've never gone back in 15 years. How can you begin a fitness, business, or personal relationship off of a massive lie. Can't say where they are now but will give them one more chance. Not holding my breath though...

I've always had a 2nd gym at home for fitness but I do need showers downtown so will still be a slave to one of these 'fine' establishments.

carpuff

Post by carpuff » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:42 am

I remember being called by an agent around 5am in the morning! The man was quite pesky I hanged up!

shameenali
Regular
Regular

Fitness First

Post by shameenali » Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:51 am

I have been a fitness first member for the past 10 months & I couldnt be happier. Have got the membership that lets me access all their clubs all over sg which comes in handy when am visiting friends or relatives islandwide.

Hard sell calls I neva got because I was a fitness first member in Qatar where I was based previously so I knew what to ask & what not to ask when signing up over here.

Overall a pleasant experience.

jc2000m

Post by jc2000m » Sun, 03 Jul 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks all for your comments, I have now joined fitness first which so far works out well, and it's never so busy that i have wait to get on the machine. and compare to CF which i tried for a week, the cleaness is far better ... only once i got a stinky towel, where as in CF, it's every time for the 3 times I've been ... maybe i was just unlucky.

Ladyleo

Post by Ladyleo » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 9:28 am

I'm thinking of signing up for Fitness First Platinum membership which can allow me to access the gym in different location. How much u guyz pay for it? Heard the OUB outlet are pretty bad? How bad could it be??? The nearest gym location frm my workplace will be OUB and Raffles.
Should I consider CAlifornia Fitness???

shameenali
Regular
Regular

Post by shameenali » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 9:45 am

Ladyleo wrote:I'm thinking of signing up for Fitness First Platinum membership which can allow me to access the gym in different location. How much u guyz pay for it? Heard the OUB outlet are pretty bad? How bad could it be??? The nearest gym location frm my workplace will be OUB and Raffles.

The Platinum membership should cost you around $145/- per month if am not mistaken. I actually took that up since you can access 9 gyms that they have got island wide. That's the upside

Downside is you rarely get the time to visit all 9 gyms so you would have to decide for yourself whether you would like to pay the extra for all clubs access. Wouldnt recommend OUB since tht's the oldest gym that they got so its pretty small & with limited equipment. Raffles is way better bigger gym with a nice view of the MBS as well.

Ladyleo

Post by Ladyleo » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:37 am

shameenali wrote:
Ladyleo wrote:I'm thinking of signing up for Fitness First Platinum membership which can allow me to access the gym in different location. How much u guyz pay for it? Heard the OUB outlet are pretty bad? How bad could it be??? The nearest gym location frm my workplace will be OUB and Raffles.

The Platinum membership should cost you around $145/- per month if am not mistaken. I actually took that up since you can access 9 gyms that they have got island wide. That's the upside

Downside is you rarely get the time to visit all 9 gyms so you would have to decide for yourself whether you would like to pay the extra for all clubs access. Wouldnt recommend OUB since tht's the oldest gym that they got so its pretty small & with limited equipment. Raffles is way better bigger gym with a nice view of the MBS as well.

Thanks,for the infor! :)

I might sign-up for the Platinum membership as I can forsee hardly visiting all 9 gyms! :P

How is the crowd at Raffles??/

shameenali
Regular
Regular

Post by shameenali » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:59 am

Ladyleo wrote:
shameenali wrote:

I might sign-up for the Platinum membership as I can forsee hardly visiting all 9 gyms! :P

Quite crowded from 7pm till 8pm on the weekdays coz thts wen every1 hits the gym after wrk. U shud b able to get a treadmill to run on tho r a seat on a bicycle. If u goin for the group exercises dont think shud b a prb coz the studios r quite big can accomodate a reasonably large crowd!

Ladyleo

Post by Ladyleo » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 4:13 pm

shameenali wrote:
Ladyleo wrote:
shameenali wrote:

Quite crowded from 7pm till 8pm on the weekdays coz thts wen every1 hits the gym after wrk. U shud b able to get a treadmill to run on tho r a seat on a bicycle. If u goin for the group exercises dont think shud b a prb coz the studios r quite big can accomodate a reasonably large crowd!

Thanks for the tips! :)

johanvds

Post by johanvds » Tue, 26 Jul 2011 4:33 pm

#shoetoss