Singapore Expats

Best prepaid SIM for data usage

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 12:15 pm

I'm so unimpressed with Singtel it's not even funny. Compared to SH I get no free 018-ish calls to over a dozen countries, lousy local call rates, no per-second billing. How much worse can they be?

I couldn't find a single reason to go with Singtel.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 12:16 pm

Sean C wrote:You could just get a regular old mini-SIM from the likes of SingTel or StarHub, then buy a cutter, or just use a pair of scissors. I know Deal Extreme makes a cutter, and I also saw one for sale at Sim Lim Square last week.
You could cut if you're getting an iPhone 4, but if you need the micro-SIM for your iPad then there's no sense in doing so as the best deal you can get is only available on the micro-SIM anyway ($32 for 60 days access).

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 6:40 pm

aster wrote: I couldn't find a single reason to go with Singtel.
Other than the coverage, the service centre's, the bundled packages with Internet and EPL.................

"The romans...what did the romans ever do for us" "Roads" . "Ok aside from roads what did the Romans ever do for us" Lets see who gets this 8-)

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 7:14 pm

bigfilsing wrote:
Other than the coverage, the service centre's, the bundled packages with Internet and EPL.................

"The romans...what did the romans ever do for us" "Roads" . "Ok aside from roads what did the Romans ever do for us" Lets see who gets this 8-)
I want to have babies

You can't have babies

Don't repress me

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sat, 12 Mar 2011 2:03 am

JayCee wrote:
bigfilsing wrote:

I want to have babies

You can't have babies

Don't repress me
nice come back

carpuff

Post by carpuff » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:30 am

aster wrote:I'm so unimpressed with Singtel it's not even funny. Compared to SH I get no free 018-ish calls to over a dozen countries, lousy local call rates, no per-second billing. How much worse can they be?

I couldn't find a single reason to go with Singtel.
I wouldn't bother using Singtel as well, they're the exact opposite of their great ads. So much for the brag. Go for M1.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 9:59 pm

I still think Singtel would be your best bet for internet, be it at home or on your mobile/iPad.

With regards to a prepaid phone, I think Starhub has the edge due to stuff like per-second billing, but Singtel will always be a decent choice too.

M1 I would consider if I wanted a monthly plan for an iPhone, and I already owned the handset, as they have some enticing discounts for people in such situations.

mr-miyagee

Post by mr-miyagee » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 5:07 pm

starhub does have good prepaid services. u can enjoy the promotion of IDD018 calls. for starters, if theres any issue, the customer svc hotline is operational 24/7. however it does have some coverage issue at certain places in singapore do take note.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 8:11 pm

This thread is about data usage, not IDD calls...

As for Starhub mobile internet, my experience with them has been tragic. Never again will I use them for mobile internet access...

Go with Singtel instead and deal with a real company with real services.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:40 pm

mr-miyagee wrote:starhub does have good prepaid services. u can enjoy the promotion of IDD018 calls. for starters, if theres any issue, the customer svc hotline is operational 24/7. however it does have some coverage issue at certain places in singapore do take note.
+1

Today I was trying to help a friend set up their itunes account on their phone, and the mobile reception with starhub was a shocker. We were in the basement level of Raffles City

qwerta369

Post by qwerta369 » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 7:06 pm

Any update on this folks?

My wife and I will be returning to Singapore for 1 month. We both have iPhones.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 3:53 pm

I used Starhub pre-paid my first month here. Their data service was terrible. I had almost full signal 3g non-stop, but half the time connectivity would just time out. All of my coworkers encouraged SingTel once I had my EP card. Singtel is significantly better, but still has coverage gaps. But at least I can see when I am in a coverage gap because signal drops and/or downgrades to GPRS.

With Starhub my service would predictably drop every day on MRT between Cityhall and Kallang, and again around Paya Lebar. With Singtel, I sat at Paya Lebar (Coffee Bean), tethered my laptop to my iPhone, and was able to download a 500mb file in less than 30 minutes. Wireless@SG can't even do that.

qwerta369

Post by qwerta369 » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks zzm9980. So SingTel seems to be the way to go then. Any pointers for the best pricing / package for prepaid use?

daydreamertw

Post by daydreamertw » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 5:57 pm

go for starhub. it's per second billing.

qwerta369

Post by qwerta369 » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 6:03 pm

daydreamertw wrote:go for starhub. it's per second billing.
Really? Even though the data quality / reception is so bad?

What are the price comparisons?