Singapore Expats

TRAVEL BACK TO SINGAPORE ON VALID EXIT PERMIT

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
immimodi

TRAVEL BACK TO SINGAPORE ON VALID EXIT PERMIT

Post by immimodi » Sat, 18 Jun 2011 10:10 am

My son is 14 years old. He was granted a < 2 years exit permit when he was 13 years old. Me and my wife are US citizens and so is our son (dual citizen). We are planning to go to Singapore for a social visit for 3 weeks. A couple of questions:
- What passport details should his ticket to Singapore be booked on ?
- What passport does he show when leaving US @ immigration and @ the Airline counter ?
- What passport does he use to enter Singapore ?
- What passport does he show when leaving Singapore @ immigration and @ the Airline counter ?
- What passport does he use to enter US ?
- Also, does he have to do anything when he is in Singapore, like register @ Min Def or Immigration ?
- Does he have to reapply the exit permit when he goes for this short visit ?

Any assistance is much appreciated. Thanks.
Be truthful, Be brave

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: TRAVEL BACK TO SINGAPORE ON VALID EXIT PERMIT

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 18 Jun 2011 5:02 pm

immimodi wrote:My son is 14 years old. He was granted a < 2 years exit permit when he was 13 years old. Me and my wife are US citizens and so is our son (dual citizen). We are planning to go to Singapore for a social visit for 3 weeks. A couple of questions:
- What passport details should his ticket to Singapore be booked on ?
Does not matter either one is OK unless US immigration specifically wanted him to use US PP details. On SG side it does not matter as he holds dual citizenship
- What passport does he show when leaving US @ immigration and @ the Airline counter ?
US PP as he lives in the US.
- What passport does he use to enter Singapore ?
ICA SG allows either PP for entry as he holds dual citizenship
- What passport does he show when leaving Singapore @ immigration and @ the Airline counter ?
IF he enters using US PP then he leaves with US PP and at the airline counter vice versa
- What passport does he use to enter US ?
US PP. Although SG PP has a visa free entry to US, your child lives there hence US PP
- Also, does he have to do anything when he is in Singapore, like register @ Min Def or Immigration ?
NO
- Does he have to reapply the exit permit when he goes for this short visit ?
NO. Any stay in SG shorter than 30 days does not require your child to reapply EP as the EP will remain valid

Any assistance is much appreciated. Thanks.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

globalcitizen2011

travel back to singapore on exit permit

Post by globalcitizen2011 » Sun, 19 Jun 2011 9:43 pm

Please refer to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singaporea ... nality_law

especially section on dual citizen.

I think your child is liable for national service, so you should definitely refer to the proper authorities...this is a very serious situation, as not doing national service is a major offence.

I would also urge you to read the notes in the above link.

Also google:

Liability of a Singapore Citizen for National Service.....

You will find lots of good answers.

Good luck.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:43 pm

Or just read the posts in the Strictly Speaking forum.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: travel back to singapore on exit permit

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 4:13 am

globalcitizen2011 wrote:Please refer to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singaporea ... nality_law

especially section on dual citizen.

I think your child is liable for national service, so you should definitely refer to the proper authorities...this is a very serious situation, as not doing national service is a major offence.

I would also urge you to read the notes in the above link.

Also google:

Liability of a Singapore Citizen for National Service.....

You will find lots of good answers.

Good luck.
If you are not sure what you are talking about please don't. Try not make a fool of yourself. I have already post the answers which was what he was looking for.
Did you care to read OP post. ?
His son has a valid Exit Permit and holds dual citizenship. Has got nothing to do whether he is liable or not. We all know NS liabilities under Enlistment Act Cap 93 and section 33 a,b of the same Act and SG constitution Cap 126 .
If he has valid EP there is nothing wrong coming back to SG for a visit as long as his stay is less than 30 days. Most EP for pre enlistees has a multiple trips
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

immimodi

Post by immimodi » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 9:20 am

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

What kind of documentation he needs to carry for the EP to show @ Singapore immigration ?
Be truthful, Be brave

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 10:24 am

immimodi wrote:Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

What kind of documentation he needs to carry for the EP to show @ Singapore immigration ?
Nothing actually

Do you keep the EP number printed out. ?

If not got to www.ns.sg. Key in his BC/NRIC number then you will be able to print out the EP number just in case. It should not be a major as ICA/CMPB has all the records linked

immimodi

Post by immimodi » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 10:32 am

Thanks again, I have it printed..I will carry and travel with US PP at all times unless they request to see his Singapore PP because the US PP will show his Place of Birth as Singapore.

Another related question with EP. He will be moving into High School, so do I need to re-appply for EP now (he is 1 year into the EP) or can I do it when I get back from Singapore and before he joins the new High School ? Also, will it be for a new < 2 year extension or just a modification of the earlier one ?
Be truthful, Be brave

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:00 am

immimodi wrote:Thanks again, I have it printed..I will carry and travel with US PP at all times unless they request to see his Singapore PP because the US PP will show his Place of Birth as Singapore.

Another related question with EP. He will be moving into High School, so do I need to re-appply for EP now (he is 1 year into the EP) or can I do it when I get back from Singapore and before he joins the new High School ? Also, will it be for a new < 2 year extension or just a modification of the earlier one ?
No worries
Place of birth is not a biggie as there are many foreign talents whom gave birth in SG too. Since his US PP is under IRS/Biometrics which coincidentally having the same system as SG , ICA will know that he holds dual citizenship.
EP need to be reapplied latest 3 months after EP expired, you cannot change EP period or modified it. Either you revoked it and re apply or you wait till his EP nearing its due date. From memory, you can do it a month before it expires. If you revoked less than 2 years, you may not get a 2 year EP deal as he will be nearing 16 by then which requires him to pre register NS. This is a trigger mechanism which has a fails stop sign built in. So.... at 13 you will get 2 years EP , then at 15 you will get another 2 years which will falls just nice to 17 years of age. If you break it up now means it will be 13 then 14 but the next is 16. Once 16 you cannot get another EP as per my explanation above . Does this makes sense to you ?Reapply when you are back at US at its EP due date
As long as he is doing his High School he is fine even if he has to complete his High School at the age of 20 but if he is doing Tertiary after High School completes, he will not be allowed to apply for EP. Tertiary Education cannot be used for deferment application
If you intend to renounce his SG citizenship make sure do it before he turn 16.