Singapore Expats

Need Advice: Supplier suddenly bill me when told it is FOC?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
elmobaby09

Need Advice: Supplier suddenly bill me when told it is FOC?

Post by elmobaby09 » Fri, 17 Jun 2011 1:20 pm

It happened last year whereby this supplier promised to supply me a machine on the house during the work i am doing for my client. Never did i know after more thn 1 year later, i received an invoice claiming for machine transportation 2 way charge which supplier did not mention to me from start at all and if he would hv told me earlier, i could hv bill it to my client and now after more thn a year, they wanted to bill me.

I felt betrayed and cheated, they even turn nasty when talking to me but isnt there a law in singapore.

I consult a lawyer and lawyer said for such case, wait for them to go to small claim tribunal and i may hv to pay $100.

The thing is i am totally disgusted with the way how they do business.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Jun 2011 1:46 pm

:???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Need Advice: Supplier suddenly bill me when told it is F

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 17 Jun 2011 2:57 pm

elmobaby09 wrote: I felt betrayed and cheated, they even turn nasty when talking to me but isnt there a law in singapore.

I consult a lawyer and lawyer said for such case, wait for them to go to small claim tribunal and i may hv to pay $100.

I am disgusted that you blame others for you being naive .. and believing that there is free lunch :D IN business .. especially

Seems, you don't have a case, if you never had it in writing .. me too promise a lot of things to my drunk customers, including 1 jug Free Beer TOMORROW if they buy 4 jug today .. then tomorrow comes, I remember the promo no more .. and since they are loyal, I give them 2 mugs .. (no, that was a joke, but .. you get the idea ..

It is all fair in love and war and business .. :D

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:27 pm

ecureilx wrote:
elmobaby09 wrote: I felt betrayed and cheated, they even turn nasty when talking to me but isnt there a law in singapore.

I am disgusted that you blame others for you being naive .. and believing that there is free lunch :D IN business .. especially

Seems, you don't have a case, if you never had it in writing .. me too promise a lot of things to my drunk customers, including 1 jug Free Beer TOMORROW if they buy 4 jug today .. then tomorrow comes, I remember the promo no more .. and since they are loyal, I give them 2 mugs .. (no, that was a joke, but .. you get the idea ..

It is all fair in love and war and business .. :D
I disagree... I'd tell the supplier to ferk off... I would not accept any bill that is one year old... sounds like crap to me... just some jockey trying to see if he can squeeze a few more dollars out of you.

a) Tell him to ferk off
b) Get a new supplier

That is, grow some cahones and stand up for yourself.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:03 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: I disagree... I'd tell the supplier to ferk off... I would not accept any bill that is one year old... sounds like crap to me... just some jockey trying to see if he can squeeze a few more dollars out of you.

a) Tell him to ferk off
b) Get a new supplier

Beg your pardon Chief..

Relax ...

The OP seems to be in business, and he is accusing another businessman of 'possibly' having short changed him by not giving freebies ... like free delivery for a free-item

The contention is the free delivery ..

Me been in business, and if a supplier throws in X item free and charges me for delivery, then it is not unfair from the supplier ..

The OP just forgot the freebie he got, which I am sure he charged to his customer, and now whining for the delivery charges for the said item ...

Reminds me of the time, when we were given a free cisco router, from a supplier, worth 4,000 $, and we all know the Data Cable is a seperate item .. and the supplier billed us for the 300 $ data cable, and our finance went ballistic .. forgetting that we billed our customer the 4,000 $ router at 5,000 $ to the customer, PLUS we billed the data cable also at 400 $ ..

Nowhere did the supplier mention the cable is free - we included it in our PO and hoped we can get scot free ..

Me says, it is a wind-up post :D :D

prashanna

Post by prashanna » Sat, 18 Jun 2011 2:25 am

But I don't understand how a supplier can bill him for the delivery after 1 year of the delivery... If he was really supposed to pay it, weren't they supposed to bill him right after delivery or with the delivery?
I don't think they forgot and only realized it after a year... :P

elmobaby09

Post by elmobaby09 » Sat, 18 Jun 2011 8:16 am

It is all fair in love and war and business .. :D[/quote]

Maybe i didnt state my fact more detail, this supplier promises to let me use the machine as a trial for a few days, back thn, there is no black & white stating anything involving this transportation bill and yes, maybe i am naive to believe this supplier words but in business, if u have too much doubts and worries, u cannot move forward. i definitely learn my mistake by wanting everything in written, black & white. But still, he is dishonest in doing his business. As such, I decided to complain to the main manufacterer as they are jus a distributor and also decided to purchase direct overseas. They even slam up the phone and yell at me that i better pay up??? I have proved that they only send me the bill 1 year later as i kept the letter.

elmobaby09

Post by elmobaby09 » Sat, 18 Jun 2011 8:24 am

ecureilx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: I disagree... I'd tell the supplier to ferk off... I would not accept any bill that is one year old... sounds like crap to me... just some jockey trying to see if he can squeeze a few more dollars out of you.

a) Tell him to ferk off
b) Get a new supplier

Beg your pardon Chief..

Relax ...

The OP seems to be in business, and he is accusing another businessman of 'possibly' having short changed him by not giving freebies ... like free delivery for a free-item

Me been in business, and if a supplier throws in X item free and charges me for delivery, then it is not unfair from the supplier ..

The OP just forgot the freebie he got, which I am sure he charged to his customer, and now whining for the delivery charges for the said item ...

Reminds me of the time, when we were given a free cisco router, from a supplier, worth 4,000 $, and we all know the Data Cable is a seperate item .. and the supplier billed us for the 300 $ data cable, and our finance went ballistic .. forgetting that we billed our customer the 4,000 $ router at 5,000 $ to the customer, PLUS we billed the data cable also at 400 $ ..

Nowhere did the supplier mention the cable is free - we included it in our PO and hoped we can get scot free ..

Ecureilx: Well, I have not purchase anything from them yet but I am doing a project with gahmen back thn and they promised to loan it as a trial for me to test the machine so I happily agreed. Honestly, if the supplier would have told me earlier about the transportation charge, i would have happily accept it as I can counter bill it back to my client but C'mon it is past 1 year, account all closed. Why should I suck up a bill when you never at all present or have any knowledge. You can jolly well put any amount in it. WTF!

elmobaby09

Post by elmobaby09 » Sat, 18 Jun 2011 9:36 am

ecureilx wrote:

a) Tell him to ferk off
b) Get a new supplier

Beg your pardon Chief..

Relax ...

Well, urs is a buy and sell case. As i did not bill the client the machinery that i got it for trial (IMHO, doing business also 'MUST' have honesty and integrity) as I am charging my client just labour & solution that they required for that period of time and I even told them the equipement is on the house courtesy by this supplier. So where on earth am i sucking up the $$$.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 18 Jun 2011 9:58 am

You have contract or not?

The contract allows for these charges or not?

If not tell them to fork off!

elmobaby09

Post by elmobaby09 » Sat, 18 Jun 2011 10:24 am

JR8 wrote:You have contract or not?

The contract allows for these charges or not?

If not tell them to fork off!
No contract, nothing at all. The only thing that i have signed is the delivery order of the machine.

Thinking back, if they really to file a small claim tribunal, i can present my customer invoice, the recent envelope that stamped the date they send me the bill and proved that they are simply trying to rip me off but of cos up to the judge to decide.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 18 Jun 2011 2:36 pm

elmobaby09 wrote:
Thinking back, if they really to file a small claim tribunal, i can present my customer invoice, the recent envelope that stamped the date they send me the bill and proved that they are simply trying to rip me off but of cos up to the judge to decide.
Good luck

if the supplier was a small company, and one man-show, he has every right to be branded as dishonest

If it was a big company, the salesman is not the ultimate decision maker, and if the finance and you never agree "FREE TRIAL, DELIVERY FOC" then the finance have every reason to bill you for delivery / transportation . and you can dispute it .. go ahead

In my eyes, (and only in my eyes) you don't be succesful in business if you don't know the terms and conditions ..

I been there, wound up two businesses, because of such "ASSUMPTIONS"

And in my volunteer work, we were donated some used items, to be shipped to another country, and we happily assumed the donor will PAY EVERYTHING, and then the shipping company came and asked us to foot the 12,000 $ Bill .. not only we were shocked, we had a legal eagle advising to sue the DONOR .. and a deep breath and reading the terms of offer of the donation NEVER INCLUDED SHIPPING .. go figure .. And we had no right to call the donor dishonest .. The promised to donate the items, they donated, and we told them 'ship it to x country' and they did it too .. nowhere did we ask them if their donation includes shipping ..

WE JUST ASSUMED and MADE AN ASS OF U AND ME .. :D

No comments ...

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 18 Jun 2011 9:28 pm

Charges will be on the delivery invoice if they are not, that is their mistake not yours, they don't have a leg to stand on! If the machine was on loan, still delivery charges would be invoiced after discussion but before delivery, not after! Again commonsense will rule at the end of the day!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 18 Jun 2011 10:33 pm

ksl wrote:Charges will be on the delivery invoice if they are not, that is their mistake not yours, they don't have a leg to stand on! If the machine was on loan, still delivery charges would be invoiced after discussion but before delivery, not after! Again commonsense will rule at the end of the day!
KSL: No gonna get into argument with you on the technicality .. but .. if you are business dealing with other suppliers, my argument stands: the OP made a fool of himself and is stuck with some bill he is unable to account for, a bill he rightfully should be aware of .. unless the supplier's initial offer stated "FREE DELIVERY INCLUDED"

And I dunno what your business is, but I am trying to recall if DO includes charges .. DO only says the item that was delivered .. maybe in your line of business, your DO is the same as invoice ...

And whether the supplier billed him one year or not is moot: if there was an account receivable, the supplier's finance would have billed if it was not accounted for ..

Compassion don't run businesses ..

I am sure the OP didn't give the trial to his customer Free - he would have reaped much more goodwill or ROI in his own supplier's free trial. .. ah come on ..

I know many businessmen who are successful, and the main reason they are successful is they count every $ .. like when they make 1 million profit on a supplier's trial equipment, that will be forgotten, when the said supplier asks him to pay 200 $ for the delivery ..

No kidding ..

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 19 Jun 2011 4:18 am

Agreed with all but what bothers me is why bill the delivery charges a year later ? Seems dodgy enough to me :???: :???:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!