Singapore Expats

National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 1:51 pm

I'll let MS have this, but off the top, I can see a big problem if you have renewed their Singapore Passports after they were 11 years of age, regardless of whether or not the NRIC was issued, they will be construed as having enjoyed the benefits of Singapore. Hopefully, MS will see a way around the horns of the dilemma that they appear to be hung on at the moment.

As you have already given up your citizenship you are a wee bit closer to maybe having a ace up your sleeve, but the fact that your hubby still has his might be the stumbling block. Let's see what MS can find in his pocket of tricks...

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

OZ Mum

NS Deferment

Post by OZ Mum » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 2:08 pm

Hi SMS

Thanks for your response, at least there is a ray of hope for our case and it is not the end of the world yet. LOL

Anyway we will be following up with my hubby’s renunciation as it has been 3 over months since submission. Hopefully if is approved – probably we will have another ace to bet against our case.

Once again, thanks for the uplifting thought.

Have a great day & blessings!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: NS Deferment

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 4:37 pm

OZ Mum wrote: I have renounced my SG-citizenship last year and my hubby's is now in the process of waiting for their response for his.

When did Hubby submit renunciation papers to ICA ?

Does that mean they have 'utilised SG priviledges' and are eligible to serve NS?

Yes, BIG YES !!

I have spoken to CMPB personnel and all they could tell you is to submit application and they will consider. I have several friends tried but unsuccessful in their applications.

1, What are my chances of applying for their deferment in my case?

Sort out hubby papers first.

Then write to CMPB stating intention to apply for deferment till 21 pending renunciation . This docs will be posted to you after you wrote a cover letter to both ICA and CMPB. I will guide you but need a few questions to fill in the gap

2. What points should I be considering when writing the letter of intent for the boys (so called the parents' consent to renounce their citizenship when reach 21 years of age)?

AS per No.1
3. Should I take careful thoughts in penning the contents on the letter?

Yes, I will guide you

4. Do both parents' renounciation able to stand a better chance in the application?

Yes, BIG YES !!!

5. Does returning the boys' passports to them helped in applying the deferment?

Does not make any diff. You cannot return the SG PP once you state intention. PP to be return only at 21 when deferment is accepted by Mindef

Hope to hear some helpful tips to assist my next course of action.

I sincerely appreciate and thankful in all contributions to my query.

Blessings
Here are a few questions.

What age is first boy ?
When is his EP expiring ?
Did he recieved any NS pre registration notice ?

What age is your second boy ?
When is his EP expiring ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

OZ Mum

Post by OZ Mum » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 5:10 pm

Hi Mad Scientist

Thanks for taking time to reply. Answers as follows :

When did Hubby submit renunciation papers to ICA ? - since Apr 2011

Then write to CMPB stating intention to apply for deferment till 21 pending renunciation . This docs will be posted to you after you wrote a cover letter to both ICA and CMPB. - I have already emailed my my intention to CMPB but not ICA and they reverted with attached forms to be filled - this was received last month

Here are a few questions. - Answers as follows :

What age is first boy ? - 16 yrs 3 mths

When is his EP expiring ? - 14 Nov 2011

Did he recieved any NS pre registration notice ? - Not yet

What age is your second boy ? - 14 yrs 9 mths

When is his EP expiring ? - 29 Jan 2013

Hope the above is sufficient.

TK U!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 5:34 pm

What docs did you received from CMPB ?

What did you comms with CMPB prior to the docs?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

OZ Mum

Post by OZ Mum » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 6:20 pm

What docs did you received from CMPB ?
They have emailed me the deferment forms requesting for personal particulars; date of departure / family emigration / social visits / educational background / family particulars. These documents also required copies of BC; SG passports; foreign citizenship & passports to be submitted.

What did you comms with CMPB prior to the docs?
My 1st comm was in Jul last year with their standard letter stating the usual legal binding of serving NS and I didn't followup - it has remained as status quo. Until recently I communicated again - this was their response which came through not long after:

1. Please refer to your email regarding your request for your sons, to be granted deferment from their full-time National Service (NS) till their age of 21, pending renunciation of their Singapore citizenship.

2. You have indicated that both intend to renounce their SC at the age of 21 years old without serving NS. You are required to submit their completed application forms with the required documents for our consideration. We will assess their cases once we have received the applications.

Was there anything written between the lines? Please advise.

TKS

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 4:44 am

Sorry I cannot reply you soon enough. I had to turn off the power to conserve electricity. I just had power connected to my motorhome and had my bath after three days of no water in Christhurch. It is freezing right now ..

OK here we go.

You are aware of the Enlistment Act Cap 93 and section 33 and Singapore Constitution Chap 126 which clearly defines all the issues raised by many parents here.

1. Hubby : It will take about 6 weeks to the day upon CAB ICA receipt of his renunciation papers. It may be delayed if he is not below 40 or has not recieved his release letter from Mindef at the age of 40. To top it off, if he has not served 3 years of NS Reservist after his NS service, this will delay his renunciation. It may affect your sons application to defer till 21 .
If he has outstanding issues like IRAS Incomes Tax or anything which makes him liable in the eyes of the Gahmen will only add salt to the injury
2. From now on, try not to go back to SG untill all this work has been done. If you have to for some reason , please use OZ PP
3. I believe you have inform ICA and CMPB that your sons holds dual citizenship. Yes ????
4. The letter you received does it state on the Heading "Application for deferment till 21 prior renunciation" ?
5. If not, then it is the initial docs prior to the one above. Do the following
6. Write a cover letter to both ICA and CMPB. ICA you can attention to Steve Chew or SY Pang. CMPB you can attention to Yum Kah Leng or Susan or Miss Goh.
7. Explained in details , your intention as parent to renunciation both sons SG citizenship. Date of arrival to OZ, you have renounced SG Citizenship and hubby application is pending approval (It would be better if hubby paper is approved hence you might want to delay this before sending it to CMPB and ICA, but by end of June , if there is no approval in sight , then you send this out)
.Explain in this letter that your sons are schooling in OZ at Year 12 and Year 9 respectively with a letter of attendance from school stating date of admission, emphasing that your sons will be continuing their studies till 2013 in that school. Add to it that you have no SG residence and have cleared all your tax dues etc. All these to show that you are law abiding ex-citizen.
8.Attached both parents and sons, OZ PP/ Citizenship papers copies and your renounce paper from ICA too. Get it certified by a Public Notary
9. Send it with a return address to both agencies via snail mail.
10. Remember do this after hubby renounce paper is approved. If still not approve by end June, send it out anyway.
11. It will take about two weeks to receive a reply from both ICA and CMPB. ICA will pass all your correspondence to CMPB.
12. Then on, you only comms with CMPB.
13. If CMPB albeit Mindef approved your deferment request, on the same reply you will received that "Application for deferment till 21 prior renunciation papers.
14. You will need to submit everything all over again. Do it. They like it that way.
15. Now, this is the hard part, either on the first or second submission , they will ask about your children travelling pattern. Every date of travelling you need to explain why they travelling back to SG on SG PP. If their stay here is short albeit on social visit , explain it to them. But if by any chance they are here on a short studies trip or engaging in one or anything to do with the SG Gahmen system, then all bets are off.
16.One last thing, you have to do it at the latest by July as your eldest will turn 16 years and 6 months where he needs to register for NS pre enlistments .
17. If all goes well, I will guide you again once you recieved that pre approval from CMPB to defer till 21 prior renunciation.

It is strange that your hubby is not the one seeking info here as he should have known better if he has served his NS duties during his early age. I find it quite surprising that you as the mother of the children is the one seeking all the infos . Good on you as a responsible mother.
I am not critising you or your hubby but it really bothers me that the man of the house not stepping up to the plate.
Does this makes sense to you ?

OZ Mum

NS Deferment

Post by OZ Mum » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:08 pm

Hi MS

So sorry to hear that you are out there in Christchurch with such little comfort of amenities - pray that you are kept well and fine. Really appreciate you taking time (under such circumstances over there), giving info and guidelines to help me in my issue. I was rather desperately searching for any form of avenues to help me to go through this with minimum hiccups. I guess that just been a desperate mum so love the kids (it’s hard to let go though).

Anyway looking at your step by step guidelines:
1. Hubby did not served NS (he was exempted – don’t ask me why b‘cos he didn’t want to tell but I did gathered from family member he was under stress related issues). So this point won’t affect the deferment – right?
As for IRAS Income Tax – we are law-abiding citizens, what we need to pay we pay & on time. So far we do not have any o/s issues and we do not hold any property in SG either.
2. We will take note that only use OZ PP if for some reason if we need to travel to SG but don’t see we will do that this year.
3. I have only informed CMPB our sons hold dual citizenship but not ICA – so should I write in to ICA too?
4. The email I received from CMPB with Heading “National Service Deferment”

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 2:32 pm

No worries

Please do not be offended by my comment about your hubby. I am too upfront and say what it is.

You got the first initial letter

OK Hubby cleared with NS issues

Now write to both ICA and CMPB as plan

Good Luck

OZ Mum

NS Deferment

Post by OZ Mum » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 4:03 pm

Hi MS

Thanks for the confirmation and will proceed as advised. Nope I am not offended at all on the comments but do appreciate your straight forwardness. I just got to do what I have to do – always be thankful for friends’ willingness to help out – be it big or small. Just like you guys in the forum helping out people like us – ex SGer. Heaps of thanks!

Cheers :)

hobbystamper

renounce?

Post by hobbystamper » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 8:30 pm

Hi MS,
I am reading the above post with great curiosity. Can a child renounce his citizenship before he turns 5?
I am in the above situation. Child turning 5 next week, we are leaving SG in 2 weeks. So I am wondering what to do.
If he can renounce before he turns 5, that would be great. If not, then I will just wait till he is 13 to do what is suggested above..
Thanks.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: renounce?

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 4:22 am

hobbystamper wrote:Hi MS,
I am reading the above post with great curiosity. Can a child renounce his citizenship before he turns 5?
I am in the above situation. Child turning 5 next week, we are leaving SG in 2 weeks. So I am wondering what to do.
If he can renounce before he turns 5, that would be great. If not, then I will just wait till he is 13 to do what is suggested above..
Thanks.
Yes, if he is foreign born and attain dual citizenship for SG from SG parent before 5. Although one did manage to be approve when the child was 7.
You can go to CAB ICA . ICA 4th floor. They will make you chase rabbits . Persevere and asked around. Look for the supervisor not the front desk who knows nuts. Moreover the stream of people they see , makes them more like robots !!

You need to show proof of child foreign citizenship

Did he attain SG PP ? If yes, chances will be hard but possible
Have you attain foreign PP, if yes, chances are better

mom2011

need advice from mad scientist

Post by mom2011 » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 6:42 am

hi, i have read a lot of posts here and they are very helpful.
my boy is 13 and unfortunately i have renewed the passport for him once although it has never been used.

his situation is a little different. when he was born, both hubby and i are PRC citizen and my son got PRC citizen as well.
all of us got SG citizen when my son was 2 years old.
we moved out of SG when the son was 8 and got PR (not citizen yet) for another county and lived there since.

we have no family ties in SG and no property in SG either.
the son has never visited singapore after he left when he was 8.
so what's his chance of deferment application?
thanks in advance.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: need advice from mad scientist

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 7:12 am

mom2011 wrote:hi, i have read a lot of posts here and they are very helpful.
my boy is 13 and unfortunately i have renewed the passport for him once although it has never been used.

his situation is a little different. when he was born, both hubby and i are PRC citizen and my son got PRC citizen as well.
all of us got SG citizen when my son was 2 years old.
we moved out of SG when the son was 8 and got PR (not citizen yet) for another county and lived there since.

we have no family ties in SG and no property in SG either.
the son has never visited singapore after he left when he was 8.
so what's his chance of deferment application?
thanks in advance.
As you have renounce your PRC citizenship and now attain SG citizenship, your child is a SG Citizen by law .
Did you apply for him the Exit Permit to stay out of SG when he turned 13. ?He must have a valid EP when he turn 13. He has 3 months to register upon turning 13 via on line at Mindef website
This you must do first before I can advise you further
Go to www.ns.sg. to register for EP

mom2011

To mad scientist

Post by mom2011 » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 9:27 am

Hi Mad Scientist, thanks for your quick response.
I really appreciate it.

Yes, he applied exit permit which will expire mid 2012.