Singapore Expats

LOC from two companies - Possible ?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

LOC from two companies - Possible ?

Post by FaeLLe » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 10:52 am

Hello all,

Just wondering is it possible for a DP holder to have a LOC for two different companies?

Or would the previous LOC automatically be cancelled if MOM approves a new LOC for another company?

Thanks.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:49 am

There cannot be 2 LOC's active at any point of time.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:59 pm

Somebody is looking for a quick trip out of Singapore it would seem. Everybody already know that you cannot hold two working passes of ANY SORT in Singapore at the same time.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 1:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Somebody is looking for a quick trip out of Singapore it would seem. Everybody already know that you cannot hold two working passes of ANY SORT in Singapore at the same time.
Actually my friend is wondering if his wife can hold an LOC for her self proprietorship (which is low volume trading business) and at the same continue working elsewhere full time.

The firm she is working in full time does not state in the employment contract that they cannot work any other place.

Agreed though MOM might not like this idea...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 3:14 pm

MOM says NO. That's why my earlier comment.

MOM doesn't care what the employers think.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nitinkrmishra

Post by nitinkrmishra » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 5:20 pm

Hi ,

MOM will never issue two LOC at a time.Once LOC is cancelled then only the new one can be issued.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 5:36 pm

#-o ](*,) :roll:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: LOC from two companies - Possible ?

Post by ksl » Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:54 am

FaeLLe wrote:Hello all,

Just wondering is it possible for a DP holder to have a LOC for two different companies?

Or would the previous LOC automatically be cancelled if MOM approves a new LOC for another company?

Thanks.
What is the other full time business if you don't mind me asking?

A person really should look at defining their LOC application in a relative way that covers many possibilities, like walking on the edge, but not overstepping the line. If a person is self employed they could actually sell their service to anyone that wants to pay.

The essence is in the first LOC application, maybe they need to go back to the drawing board and think how she can incorporate her skills into her sole proprietor biz to cover such job offers.

You mention she is small time trader, which could literally mean no defined industry, has long as she is trading.

Maybe they need to sit down and see if they can upgrade the LOC that they have, to include 40 hrs work for such and such company.. It will all depend on how the person defines their DP.

Talk with MOM and ask them if the LOC can be upgraded in some way as her business is expanding, so she can sell her service to this company that wants her. If the company is will to do it this way!

Trading covers a wide spectrum of business, though these businesses must be accounted for within the LOC.

Example Import & export must be industry defined, specific has licences are required. A trader means business, any kind of business self employed, A trader in commerce is buying & selling. A trader in Labour is what a slave handler or HR?

If the person sells her labour to this company and books it through her sole proprietary trading business on a contractual paper, I really don't see any problem, other than walking on the edge.

Though again it will depend on the definition of the sole proprietorship when authorised. I'm pretty sure you can upgrade your LOC has business expands to include other industries, that's all part of doing business.

Now if the person is too nervous to do that without asking MOM, they could arrange a meeting with MOM and explain that they want to contract themselves out for 40hrs a week or more under the sole proprietorship if a company will take the contract that is self employed business if you have the skills to do the jobs.

There are many companies around that require people for short term contracts, as they do not have the resources to employ full time.

I would look at this route, as only one LOC is allowed.