Singapore Expats

ditch PR to avoid NS? can you say "black listed"?

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 8:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:So who's gonna save your butts when the muslim neighbours decide they either want it back or they want it (depending on which neighbour) if all think that way? You gonna wait for the US Calvary from Guam? With that clown in the white house, don't hold your breath. The world's gonna have a new order soon enough once they figure out that he's got no cojones.
Not sure this comment is relevant to this thread, and

a) You sound like you come from deep South Texas
b) Hide and watch - Bush didn't have cojones just because he saber rattled - wasn't he the guy that looked deep into Putin's eyes and saw his soul mate?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:03 am

Lurve wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: Why bother to give him PR in the first place then?
simply because it is easier to stay in sg with PR, rather than having Long term visit pass, which has to be renewed every 2 years.
and plus i think it's easier to get into local school here compared to foreigners. please correct me if i am wrong..
I really looking forward to when the Government close this loophole :cool:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:20 pm

Saint, you and I are in complete agreement on this.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 2:18 pm

All along I was thinking Singapore is too generous with its immigration policy, happy to see it being changed now. The day they will curb the LTSVPs for family members of PRs and the day the children of PRs only have the option of being PR themselves will be interesting (ie. if they don't hand out student passes for up to tertiary education to PR offspring any more).
a.k.a. littlegreenman

Chengcsj

Post by Chengcsj » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 3:36 pm

Hey Taxico..you wnet through exactly the same painful experience as me! I am working in the IT field in KL now.. I spent 3/4 of my childhood in SG as well. Do PM me... It is really happy to know there is someone out there facing the same problem as me!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 4:16 pm

I think you better read the post again. Taxico doesn't have a problem. He's done his NS and I believe he was an officer as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ps07857

Post by ps07857 » Sun, 17 Jan 2010 4:20 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hey taxico, thanks for that!

Like you, I've known this for years but it's good to read somebody's personal lucid account of just how bad it can be and just how vindictive the current government can be. It's not as if this country doesn't need some good lawyers. Or at least some that aren't under the thumb of you know how. Maybe that's what took so long to be rejected in his case. Conspiracy theories? :cool:

You might want to edit your post and put the actual link there as well.

sms
Hi SMS, I chanced upon this forum website. I know the author of the blog and I am also in the same situation. Do you know of any ways that I can convince the SG authorities to let me just work in SG? I am currently not in SG. Thanks for any input. I can PM you because I don't have enough post as of yet. Thanks for your input.

jkbj79

Post by jkbj79 » Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:30 pm

Chengcsj wrote:Hey Taxico..you wnet through exactly the same painful experience as me! I am working in the IT field in KL now.. I spent 3/4 of my childhood in SG as well. Do PM me... It is really happy to know there is someone out there facing the same problem as me!
Hey Taxico & Cheng
i am having the same painful experience too. let keep in touch by MSN....
PM me

ps07857

Post by ps07857 » Tue, 09 Feb 2010 12:35 pm

jkbj79 wrote:
Chengcsj wrote:Hey Taxico..you wnet through exactly the same painful experience as me! I am working in the IT field in KL now.. I spent 3/4 of my childhood in SG as well. Do PM me... It is really happy to know there is someone out there facing the same problem as me!
Hey Taxico & Cheng
i am having the same painful experience too. let keep in touch by MSN....
PM me

Hi guys, anyone in the same shoes... feel free to email me at [email protected] If I can answer your question to the best of my ability, I will try to do so too! All the best to "our kind" and keep striving.

sharkfung

Post by sharkfung » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 1:17 am

to Lurve. just let your boy serve NS like any singapore boys. itz only 2 yrs of their teenage life. me too had too much choice than and i screwed it up. now suffer lor.

ututu
Regular
Regular

Post by ututu » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:34 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:So who's gonna save your butts when the muslim neighbours decide they either want it back or they want it (depending on which neighbour) if all think that way? You gonna wait for the US Calvary from Guam? With that clown in the white house, don't hold your breath. The world's gonna have a new order soon enough once they figure out that he's got no cojones.
I'm here for work, nothing else. Why the hell I need to fight for this country ? Loyalty, gratitude, none of that applies. I pay my taxes, I get services in return. I'm not a bum and I earn my keep. It is a mutually beneficial, money driven relationship between myself and SG. PR is a convenience sort of renewable PEP that's all. If they made PEP renewable I'd not need PR at all.

I can always transfer to KL as I have no issues with living in Muslim country (half of my relatives are Muslim and some are of strict variety) or even Bangkok. It is just taxes in KL are higher and that's the ONLY thing SG has for me. Do you really think I should put mine and my sons lives down for that ? Contrary to what you said I'd rather fight for an idea than stupid sh.t like low taxes. And if push comes to shove I'd rather be in US army, even if at this point US establishment is f...ked up, the idea (I'm pretty sure you have gone through pages of your US passport) is certainly worth fighting for.

They can close the loop holes all they want, I'll just move on, no big loss for me, extra 7-8k in taxes per year is worth not wasting 2.5 years of my kids time, especially if reasons given I consider not worth paper they are written on. At this point for me SG is not inherently better than MY for example or TH for that matter. Nothing distinguishes SG from MY/TH that touches me and would make me want to keep and fight for SG the way it is.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:54 am

ututu wrote: I'm here for work, nothing else. Why the hell I need to fight for this country ? Loyalty, gratitude, none of that applies. I pay my taxes, I get services in return. I'm not a bum and I earn my keep. It is a mutually beneficial, money driven relationship between myself and SG. PR is a convenience sort of renewable PEP that's all. If they made PEP renewable I'd not need PR at all.

I can always transfer to KL as I have no issues with living in Muslim country (half of my relatives are Muslim and some are of strict variety) or even Bangkok. It is just taxes in KL are higher and that's the ONLY thing SG has for me. Do you really think I should put mine and my sons lives down for that ? Contrary to what you said I'd rather fight for an idea than stupid sh.t like low taxes. And if push comes to shove I'd rather be in US army, even if at this point US establishment is f...ked up, the idea (I'm pretty sure you have gone through pages of your US passport) is certainly worth fighting for.

They can close the loop holes all they want, I'll just move on, no big loss for me, extra 7-8k in taxes per year is worth not wasting 2.5 years[/b] of my kids time, especially if reasons given I consider not worth paper they are written on. At this point for me SG is not inherently better than MY for example or TH for that matter. Nothing distinguishes SG from MY/TH that touches me and would make me want to keep and fight for SG the way it is.

Wrong!!! 2 years not even close to 2 years/ One Year and 7 months to be exact.
Your point is ? Or are you having a wind up ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 8:38 pm

ututu wrote:I'm here for work, nothing else. Why the hell I need to fight for this country ? ...If they made PEP renewable I'd not need PR at all.

I can always transfer to KL as I have no issues with living in Muslim country (half of my relatives are Muslim and some are of strict variety)...

It is just taxes in KL are higher and that's the ONLY thing SG has for me...

...extra 7-8k in taxes per year is worth not wasting 2.5 years of my kids time
maybe you should move (if you haven't already).
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ututu
Regular
Regular

Post by ututu » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 10:31 pm

taxico wrote:
ututu wrote:I'm here for work, nothing else. Why the hell I need to fight for this country ? ...If they made PEP renewable I'd not need PR at all.

I can always transfer to KL as I have no issues with living in Muslim country (half of my relatives are Muslim and some are of strict variety)...

It is just taxes in KL are higher and that's the ONLY thing SG has for me...

...extra 7-8k in taxes per year is worth not wasting 2.5 years of my kids time
maybe you should move (if you haven't already).
That time will come, don't you worry. I just see little point in moralizing about NS here. NS means serving nation, and SG is certainly far from being a nation. If I remember right it's just a city. (c) you know who.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 4:10 am

ututu wrote: That time will come, don't you worry. I just see little point in moralizing about NS here. NS means serving nation, and SG is certainly far from being a nation. If I remember right it's just a city. (c) you know who.
Wrong again !! What gives you the right to state this ?
Do you mean moralizing or demoralizing about NS ?
Even in Malaysia their form of NS is not received in open arms by the public.

So..... I asked again what is your point in all these ?

Singapore is an island city-state in Southeast Asia. About 5 million people live and work within 700 square kilometres (270 sq mi), making Singapore the 3rd-most-densely populated country in the world. The entire island functions as a single metropolitan area. The city centre in the south of the island is surrounded by satellite towns, parks, reservoirs and industrial estates, which are connected to the centre and each other by a dense network of roads, expressways and metro railway lines. Singapore has a highly centralised, unitary government with a unicameral legislature (the City Council and the Rural Board were abolished in the 1960s). While there are town councils and mayors in Singapore, these are essentially property managers in charge of the maintenance of public housing within their constituency boundaries. They do not represent local authorities with any legislative or executive autonomy from the national government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-state

The city of Singapore is the capital of the Singapore island nation.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/singapore/si ... y-map.html
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!