Singapore Expats

Need to open a Pub in Singapore

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
prashanna

Need to open a Pub in Singapore

Post by prashanna » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 3:33 am

I need to help a friend open a pub in Singapore. He wants a good location and will invest around $350K.. He wants me to do all the necessary procedures and registrations and wants me to run the business on his behalf. How long will it take to do everything and set up the business? And what sort of pass do I have to apply? I will not be the owner but will be handling the operations..

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 5:45 am

Have you called ICA?

And what did they say to you?

prashanna

Post by prashanna » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 6:00 am

I have made an enquiry through email.. It's a weekend so have not received a reply yet.. Also that I am currently in Nepal... I have made an enquiry with MOM as well...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 8:17 am

I do not know much about opening a pub but this may help you

The start up phase involves the following important aspects:

Business Incorporation
Food Shop License
Liquor license
GST Registration
CPF Registration
Registration to import processed Food products and Appliances
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 9:39 am

Plus the fact that the investor AND the manager will be foreign. And it being a F&B outlet? Nah, don't think it will fly. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Plus the fact that the investor AND the manager will be foreign. And it being a F&B outlet? Nah, don't think it will fly. :-|
Your kidding right! :lol: It's hardly a hawker project with 350k on the table :lol:

Though they will have to have a local sponsor or citizen with a good business plan the OP doesn't even mention food, though what's a pub without food!

prashanna with your signature to that website, isn't a cool idea, if going into the Pub business, keep politics out of your biz if you want to survive. Use your signature if you are promoting your website..don't get confused with your goals. :roll: :wink:

This website is monitored and you in the situation you are in, are not using commonsense think about it!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 1:17 pm

No, I wasn't kidding. You just fleshed it out. The OP was to set it up and manage the whole thing. This means they were not planning on having a local manager at all. For that reason, I said it wouldn't fly. Additionally, you obviously, like I did, checked out his blog. He can't get an employment pass so how's he going to manage the restaurant from Nepal? He's not the entrepreneur, but a paid staff. His credentials have already been found wanting under the new tighter credentials required by MOM.

Additionally, I have to agree, his blog isn't the best way to endear himself with the local authorities, especially seeing he doesn't have a clue to the definition of racism. I am assuming that his wife doesn't earn sufficient clams to support the LTVP for him as apparently that's been nixed as well.

So, no, I wasn't kidding. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

stevenson

Post by stevenson » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 1:51 pm

Starting a pub may be a lifetime dream, but make sure you follow the rules so it doesn't become a nightmare. One important thing is to get information from the city or county department that grants business licenses and apply for one. Ask if there are any other requirements for starting a business in the area.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 2:41 pm

stevenson wrote:Starting a pub may be a lifetime dream, but make sure you follow the rules so it doesn't become a nightmare. One important thing is to get information from the city or county department that grants business licenses and apply for one. Ask if there are any other requirements for starting a business in the area.

What county department or city are you referring to ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 2:49 pm

stevenson was a spammer who made 3 posts before putting in his Signature links. He's history now, but I didn't bother to delete the posts without the links.

prashanna

Post by prashanna » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 7:00 pm

Hey guys.. Thanks for all the comments... And I am not going to manage the pub... It will be a local who will be doing it and he is also my ex manager.. I only need to go through the paper works with him and will be working under him... And about the blog, I am going to remove the link anyways.. But just so you know, In the past year or so, half the Nepalese working in Singapore have been denied employment and returned to Nepal.. I haven't heard or seen the same for other races like Indians or Bangladeshi or Sri Lankans.. What I do know is that the government of Singapore had some issues with the government of Nepal some time back... I hope we are not paying for it now..

prashanna

Post by prashanna » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 7:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No, I wasn't kidding. You just fleshed it out. The OP was to set it up and manage the whole thing. This means they were not planning on having a local manager at all. For that reason, I said it wouldn't fly. Additionally, you obviously, like I did, checked out his blog. He can't get an employment pass so how's he going to manage the restaurant from Nepal? He's not the entrepreneur, but a paid staff. His credentials have already been found wanting under the new tighter credentials required by MOM.

Additionally, I have to agree, his blog isn't the best way to endear himself with the local authorities, especially seeing he doesn't have a clue to the definition of racism. I am assuming that his wife doesn't earn sufficient clams to support the LTVP for him as apparently that's been nixed as well.

So, no, I wasn't kidding. :wink:
Appreciate your thoughts.. But I could really do with some advice rather than sarcasm... I do not expect anyone to understand the problems of my family since they are not in my position.. The governments of Nepal and Singapore don't go along very well.. But I don't appreciate you writing about my wife... She is doing the best she can to take care of our son.. whether she earns enuf to get me LTVP or not....

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 8:33 pm

prashanna wrote:Hey guys.. Thanks for all the comments... And I am not going to manage the pub... It will be a local who will be doing it and he is also my ex manager.. I only need to go through the paper works with him and will be working under him...

I am a wee bit confused ... you put the deal together, with the investor and your ex-manager will manage it ?? And then how come the guy doesn't know it can take anything upto and more than 1 year for full clearence, for bars ??? I am a bit lost there ...
But just so you know, In the past year or so, half the Nepalese working in Singapore have been denied employment and returned to Nepal.. I haven't heard or seen the same for other races like Indians or Bangladeshi or Sri Lankans.. What I do know is that the government of Singapore had some issues with the government of Nepal some time back... I hope we are not paying for it now..
When nepalis come here on the WP for Gurkha contingent, they have strict rules saying they are not allowed to do x, y and z. If they broke it and then scratch their head and assume Singapore doesn't like nepalis .. you gotta ask who's brain is faulty ... And for the other SAARC countries you mentioned, so you think ..

Sorry, me too am a big rough on the edge, like SMS ...

PS: it was not wise to put such stuff in the blog anyway ...

prashanna

Post by prashanna » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:06 pm

Hi Ecureilx,
Firstly, I am not from the Gurkha forces... I worked as a bartender in Marriott Singapore. Secondly, when I got married to my wife, I had a written approval from MOM.. I would have been rather lucky if I was in the force!
It's not the people in the Gurkha Contingent that Singapore is laying off.. They surely need them.. It's people who are working under SPass and WP in other industries.. My wife's aunt's workplace had a number of them working for 6 years.. All of them had to be laid off and sent back ASAP.. Another case, my Singaporean friend's workplace too.. 3 of them were forced to quit and sent back as well.. And to be clear, none of them had done anything wrong or broken any law...

And about the pub thing.. I too am not sure of how long it takes. That is why I posted the question here for advice..

prashanna

Post by prashanna » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:08 pm

Took the advice and removed the blog post.. I realize I will be axing my own foot... Thank you all for that...