Singapore Expats

Citizenship application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Citizenship application

Post by AndrewV » Sun, 12 Jun 2011 12:43 pm

hi all,
I am thinking of applying for singaporean citizenship would like to know my chances

Citizenship: Sri Lankan
Studied in singapore in NUS from 2000, bachelor of engineering
working in MNC as a project manager now - I.T (working for past 6 years +)
Masters from NTU
PR for the last 5 years, last week renewed REP another 5 years
recently got married end of last year(applied PR for wife, status still pending)
I've been volunteering consistently over the years teaching underprivileged kids and doing other charity work.
Salary: 6K (due for a promotion soon)

I like it here and would like to apply for citizenship by this month, what do you think are my chances? (just a note, a couple of my friends(>10) applied last few years and this year as well and 100% success rate so far[but they were not married during application)

Some notes:
my wife is still not in singapore yet(she has to complete her degree back home first by july), she will be coming in july(will apply a LTSVP once she comes)

* in the citizenship form, it asks to give the wifes details, including her IC. She will only get this in july.

Additional question: should I wait till my wife gets her LTSVP?(or PR, which is looking increasingly difficult now) before applying? or since I am only applying for myself(she is not eligible yet, as she hasn't been a singapore PR for 2 years) shall I apply right away? will it make a difference?

will applying for citizenship now (and forwarding this application reference to the officer who is looking at my wife's PR application) help in my wife's PR?

we are not the abusers you see around, who will run away at the slightest hint of something bad(in fact, those guys spoil the soup for all of us), we want to throw in our lot with the rest of the singaporeans and want to settle down here for good and build the entire family here(including wife taking citizenship eventually) and would like to take the correct steps.
Last edited by AndrewV on Wed, 15 Jun 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Citizenship application

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 12 Jun 2011 6:04 pm

AndrewV wrote:hi all,
I am thinking of applying for singaporean citizenship would like to know my chances

Citizenship: Sri Lankan
Studied in singapore in NUS from 2000, bachelor of engineering
working in MNC as a project manager now - I.T (working for past 6 years +)
Masters from NTU
PR for the last 5 years, last week renewed REP another 5 years
recently got married end of last year(applied PR for wife, status still pending)
I've been volunteering consistently over the years teaching underprivileged kids and doing other charity work.
Salary: 6K (due for a promotion soon)

I like it here and would like to apply for citizenship by this month, what do you think are my chances? (just a note, a couple of my friends(>10) applied last few years and this year as well and 100% success rate so far[but they were not married during application)

Some notes:
my wife is still not in singapore yet(she has to complete her degree back home first by july), she will be coming in july(will apply a LTSVP once she comes)

* in the citizenship form, it asks to give the wifes details, including her IC. She will only get this in july.

Additional question: should I wait till my wife gets her LTSVP?(or PR, which is looking increasingly difficult now) before applying? or since I am only applying for myself(she is not eligible yet, as she hasn't been a singapore PR for 2 years) shall I apply right away? will it make a difference?

will applying for citizenship now (and forwarding this application reference to the officer who is looking at my wife's PR application) help in my wife's PR?

we are not the abusers you see around, who will run away at the slightest hint of something bad(in fact, those guys spoil the soup for all of us), we want to throw in our lot with the rest of the singaporeans and want to settle down here for good and build the entire family here(including wife taking citizenship eventually) and would like to take the correct steps.
Usually citizenship is by invitation But that does not mean you cannot apply.
I will advise you to get PR for wife first and let her complete her degree.
Apply as a family after wife stays with you for about 6 months to a year.
This will stand in good stead with the application on top of your educational background, paying income tax etc...

Do not rush into things as you must make sure the application is watertight
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 2:07 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
Usually citizenship is by invitation But that does not mean you cannot apply.
I will advise you to get PR for wife first and let her complete her degree.
Apply as a family after wife stays with you for about 6 months to a year.
This will stand in good stead with the application on top of your educational background, paying income tax etc...

Do not rush into things as you must make sure the application is watertight
Hi Mad Scientist, thanks very much for your take. I called ICA and asked them what was the standard procedure in such cases. they said usually in situations like this, I have to become a citizen, then she has to be a PR for atleast 2 years, then I can sponsor her for citizenship after that. so seems like the best course of action would be for me to take up citizenship first?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 2:21 pm

How many times did you call them? Often multiple calls will result in multiple suggestions, all different. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 5:40 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:How many times did you call them? Often multiple calls will result in multiple suggestions, all different. :-|
well, I called them once but spoke to 2 different officers. The first one mentioned as above, however she didn't know something else I was asking so she gave me this direct number to call and ask for further details. When I called that number the other person said the same thing(i reiterated my question)
hmm now i'm rather confused... :???:

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 6:57 pm

AndrewV wrote: Hi Mad Scientist, thanks very much for your take. I called ICA and asked them what was the standard procedure in such cases. they said usually in situations like this, I have to become a citizen, then she has to be a PR for atleast 2 years, then I can sponsor her for citizenship after that. so seems like the best course of action would be for me to take up citizenship first?
You got it all wrong. You have to get your wife PR approve first. Stay for the next 2 years approx then apply together.
If she does not have PR. Sponsor her under LTSVP then on PR then on only then apply citizenship.
No cutting corners. It does not work that way
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:55 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
AndrewV wrote: Hi Mad Scientist, thanks very much for your take. I called ICA and asked them what was the standard procedure in such cases. they said usually in situations like this, I have to become a citizen, then she has to be a PR for atleast 2 years, then I can sponsor her for citizenship after that. so seems like the best course of action would be for me to take up citizenship first?
You got it all wrong. You have to get your wife PR approve first. Stay for the next 2 years approx then apply together.
If she does not have PR. Sponsor her under LTSVP then on PR then on only then apply citizenship.
No cutting corners. It does not work that way
mad scientist, thanks for your input, but the way things are going now, I doubt my wife's PR approval will be successful. I'm meeting an officer this week for assessment, will ask him about it...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 14 Jun 2011 8:12 am

AndrewV wrote: mad scientist, thanks for your input, but the way things are going now, I doubt my wife's PR approval will be successful. I'm meeting an officer this week for assessment, will ask him about it...
Did you ever bother to read my last post ? If the PR application failed go for LTSVP. You will be hardpressed to get PR for her if she is not staying here at all... C'mon think for a moment why should the gahmen dish out PR for any Tom , Dick and Harry without anything the applicant can bring to the table. If you are holding a PR that does not mean that it is a given right your wife will get it. It does not work that way, never did and never will.

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Tue, 14 Jun 2011 9:52 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
AndrewV wrote: mad scientist, thanks for your input, but the way things are going now, I doubt my wife's PR approval will be successful. I'm meeting an officer this week for assessment, will ask him about it...
Did you ever bother to read my last post ? If the PR application failed go for LTSVP. You will be hardpressed to get PR for her if she is not staying here at all... C'mon think for a moment why should the gahmen dish out PR for any Tom , Dick and Harry without anything the applicant can bring to the table. If you are holding a PR that does not mean that it is a given right your wife will get it. It does not work that way, never did and never will.
Yes(read it a few times over actually), will take your comments into consideration. thanks for your time...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Jun 2011 1:21 pm

Let him go MS. He's another with a mindset that will brook no interference unless it's what he wants to hear. We've all seen 'em before.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Tue, 14 Jun 2011 3:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Let him go MS. He's another with a mindset that will brook no interference unless it's what he wants to hear. We've all seen 'em before.
actually i'm very thankful to Madscientist for his input and will take his suggestion into serious consideration, what made you think otherwise?
sorry if I wasn't clear earlier (the conversation with the ICA officer saying something else, may have put things out of perspective), thanks to mad scientist for his input(i'd thank you too if you had provided any to be quite frank ;)), appreciate it :)...

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 2:45 pm

Just an update, applied end of june, got my citizenship approval end of sept (total 3 months), my details are above(in MS's quote). Hope it helps someone

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 4:45 pm

AndrewV wrote:Just an update, applied end of june, got my citizenship approval end of sept (total 3 months), my details are above(in MS's quote). Hope it helps someone
:) Good news ..

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 3:35 am

AndrewV wrote:Just an update, applied end of june, got my citizenship approval end of sept (total 3 months), my details are above(in MS's quote). Hope it helps someone
Congratulation on being a local !!

Out of curiosity, did your wife manage to get the PR ?
Are you by any chance an Indian ?
What religion are you ?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:57 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Are you by any chance an Indian ?
What religion are you ?
MS: the OP had stated that he is from Sri Lanka ... but ICA has this tendency to place Sri Lankan's as "INDIAN" unless asked ... :(