Singapore Expats

French Resto/Bar here?

Share your favourite eating haunts!
thegirlnextdoor

French Resto/Bar here?

Post by thegirlnextdoor » Sat, 16 Oct 2010 1:21 pm

Heyaaa..
I wanna bring a friend to a nice french resto/bar tonight..anyone has a recommendation? Not fine dining, as in, a more casual one will do..Thanks in advance!
~You need to spend more time being in awe.~

thechamps

Nice french food and easy to your pocket

Post by thechamps » Sat, 11 Dec 2010 8:13 pm

I've got just the perfect place for you.
THE FRENCH STALL
544 Serangoon Road visit the website to see their menu
They served authentic french food at drop bottom prices!!!
Average spending for a 3 course is about $28!!!!!!
this is whats cool......

nu2spore

Post by nu2spore » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:22 pm

I highly recommend l'entrecote at duxton hill for their awesome steak frites. Great value and authentic!

kyle

Is this what you're looking for?

Post by kyle » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 6:38 pm

I really want to know which one you went with in the end! Anyway have you heard of Le Bon Marche? It's a casual French bistrot serving a seasonal menu and I'm seeking recommendations before I travel there from the east. For now, their Facebook page looks great! http://www.facebook.com/lebonmarchesg

But of course, word-of-mouth still rules. What are your favourite casual French restaurants you have tried so far?

P.S. tsk the first reply reeks of advertising! Ew!
If you don't drive your business, you will be driven out of business.
B. C. Forbe

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Is this what you're looking for?

Post by JR8 » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 7:27 pm

kyle wrote:I really want to know which one you went with in the end! Anyway have you heard of Le Bon Marche? It's a casual French bistrot serving a seasonal menu and I'm seeking recommendations before I travel there from the east. For now, their Facebook page looks great! http://www.facebook.com/lebonmarchesg

But of course, word-of-mouth still rules. What are your favourite casual French restaurants you have tried so far?

P.S. tsk the first reply reeks of advertising! Ew!
Menu looks good, but some of the terminology is pretentious (well, it is French I suppose!).

Could be good or bad, but surely caters to people for whom the cost is not an issue.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 10:46 am

I have been to Le Bon Marche but the food is not too memorable. Although, this was on a weekday and the place is completely empty except for another table.

There is another one, Bistro Du Vin which is from Les Amis Group. The place seems to be really packed on weekends. Food is pricey, considering its a bistro (although its under Les Amis Group after all). I think the cooking method is french traditional. We had a salt crusted fish which is quite authentic.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 3:30 pm

Anybody been to the one at the Indoor Stadium??
Life is short, paddle harder!!

kyle

Le Bon Marche

Post by kyle » Tue, 14 Jun 2011 6:27 pm

Finally went to Le Bon Marche on Sunday night with the missus.

Ambience was very simple and unassuming with Flags of French provinces hanging from the ceiling. It was reminiscent of a authentic French bistrot. Besides their menu, they also have a board that indicates their specials, most of which are based on seasonal ingredients from what I gather.

Service-wise, the restaurant seem a bit understaffed when I went there but they were courteous and recommended me the Pork Rack with Morel Sauce, a dish enough for 2 to share.

But we wanted to try two different dishes. My wife went for the good ol duck confit and I went with the Angus Beef Tenderloin with Foie Gras. To start we had French baby bouchot mussels. We also had a house red to go with our main dishes.

I expected a simple and straightforward presentation of the French classics, judging by the ambience. but I have to say that I was bowled over by the mussels. although it was something really simple, steamed in its own juices with a bit of cream, the mussels tasted fresh and succulent. I bet they must have been freshly shipped over. This is quite fit for a fine dining place. But for it to appear at a bistrot, for this price, is something altogether.

For the mains, I was very impressed by the perfectly cooked tenderloin but I felt the dish needed a contrasting element (besides the equally fantastic foie gras, forest mushrooms and truffle sauce) to lift it to brilliance (maybe I'm asking for too much at a bistrot). My wife's duck confit was deftly executed. For that dish, the berry sauce (think it was cassis) made it perfect. The mashed potato was well-executed but was clearly not the star of the dish.

SG has many modern french establishments that always try to put a spin or twist on classics. For the sentimental or not so adventurous, there might be fewer choices. But I'm glad I've found Le Bon Marche, for a bistrot (and a cheaper price), the execution of classic French dishes is hard to beat. If you want creativity and imagination, a fine dining establishment would be the only option in SG (e.g. gunthers). But for simple, good and fuss free French food, Le bon Marche measures up.
If you don't drive your business, you will be driven out of business.
B. C. Forbe

Smilla1978

Post by Smilla1978 » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 2:01 pm

Barnsley wrote:Anybody been to the one at the Indoor Stadium??
Le Bistrot. Went there on my boss's recommendation and really enjoyed it. We were happy the first visit then went back with friends and were really bowled over by the food on the second visit. 1 course for 40, 2 courses for 50, 3 courses for 60. Ask to sit in the back room, it's cosier and more atmospheric.

I also adore the French crepe restaurant on Prinsep St. Great owner and lovely cider.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 4:21 pm

Can you tell me where the place is on Prinsep, or what it is called?

thanks!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:10 am

Smilla1978 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Anybody been to the one at the Indoor Stadium??
Le Bistrot. Went there on my boss's recommendation and really enjoyed it. We were happy the first visit then went back with friends and were really bowled over by the food on the second visit. 1 course for 40, 2 courses for 50, 3 courses for 60. Ask to sit in the back room, it's cosier and more atmospheric.

I also adore the French crepe restaurant on Prinsep St. Great owner and lovely cider.
Cool thanks , we walked past it in midweek and it was empty.

Will give it a try now I have had some positive feedback.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:19 am

I'm not sure if it touts itself as French Restaurant, but Wine Connection in Robertson Quay is great value with good food (you need to book as it is busy). If you're looking for something further up the cost scale try La Pettit Salu (sp?). Had my b'day dinner at Dempsey there last year and was amazing.

tinkerbell88
Regular
Regular

Post by tinkerbell88 » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 1:35 am

Dear JR8,
I believe it's called Creperie Dártes. It's not bad, really authentic of a Northern French Creperie. Family-owned restaurant, this place is so sweet. The owner and his dad come up and chat to you, no it's not because I'm female, but they are genuinely nice people who believe in good food. The crepes are quite large, but very light,'and have sweet or savoury fillings. Its a real melt-in-your -mouth kind of meal. I had the St Jacques with cream and leek filling..slightly heavier and buttery but sumptuous! :D
tinkerbell88

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 3:37 am

Thanks Tinkerbell88, that is a really nice tip. I can't think where it is... the row of shophouses near McKenzie Chicken Rice?

St Jacques as in coquilles St. Jacques? That would be precisely my kind of thing...

Just googled it (streetview) and I know exactly where it is, so will certainly give that a go!
Creperie Des Arts, 44 Prinsep Steet.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 10:22 am

carteki wrote:I'm not sure if it touts itself as French Restaurant, but Wine Connection in Robertson Quay is great value with good food (you need to book as it is busy). If you're looking for something further up the cost scale try La Pettit Salu (sp?). Had my b'day dinner at Dempsey there last year and was amazing.
I agree Wine Connection at Roberston Quay is great value, especially in the week. They have some very good offers on wine and cheese to take away too. The one in Cuppage Terrace does not have the variety of food and wine that the Robertson Quay one has , and is not so good in my opinion.

Au Petit Salut , I have only been to the one near Holland Village, I think its the bistro so the menu is more restricted and price not so high.