Singapore Expats

PR Rejected :(

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sanky_001

PR Rejected :(

Post by sanky_001 » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 6:32 pm

Dear All,

My wife and I just checked the status online (ienquiry) for our PR application (applied March, 2011), and the status says 'Rejected', though I did not receive any letter from ICA yet :(

You may refer to my posts I had done earlier with reference to our PR application ( http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic78550.html )

So what do we do now? Should we appeal?

Thank you for your suggestions in advance !

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:02 am

You do nothing. PR is a 5 year visa. What you have now is 1-2 year visa. Any problems?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 8:50 am

And exactly on what grounds are you going to appeal?? You've now been here 2 years? Got yourself a job?

Unless your circumstances have significantly changed since your application in March I wouldn't waste ICA time.

sanky_001

Post by sanky_001 » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 10:58 am

Saint wrote:And exactly on what grounds are you going to appeal?? You've now been here 2 years? Got yourself a job?

Unless your circumstances have significantly changed since your application in March I wouldn't waste ICA time.
Dear Saint,

I agree with you. No singnificant changes. So I will hold on then.
I will also keep you posted as to what the rejection letter says.

Here is our brief background:

Wife (was the primary applicant) - British - Close to 5yrs in Singapore- EP (same company)- Income 7K

Myself (Secondary Applicant) - Indian - 1yr - Student Pass - Planning to apply for DP in August as SP expires - Married in Singapore (1yr)

So do you think if I get a job and appeal after a year from then, ICA would consider us?

Thanks Cheers !!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:03 am

Why would you appeal after a year, just put in a new application.

But no, if you get a job and work for one year, you will have a slim-to-none chance, the PR application forms ask for the last 3 years tax returns so...

sanky_001

Post by sanky_001 » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:38 am

JayCee wrote:Why would you appeal after a year, just put in a new application.

But no, if you get a job and work for one year, you will have a slim-to-none chance, the PR application forms ask for the last 3 years tax returns so...
Dear Jaycee, thanks.

Ok, I am happy to wait and apply after paying tax for 3yrs.

But what about my wife? Any idea what are the chances if my wife alone applies ? Or she has to wait for another 3yrs for my sake and apply PR again as a couple?

Because she has already been paying tax for over 4yrs and works for a reputed company. She has never switched companies and has been loyal to the same company over 20yrs.

When she applied PR in 2010 (she was single at that time), she got rejected. So this is the second rejection for her.

Thanks again. Cheers!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:39 am

JayCee wrote:Why would you appeal after a year, just put in a new application.

Oh, you mean they are supposed to actually read the forms before submitting them? :o :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:43 am

sanky_001 wrote:
Dear Jaycee, thanks.

Ok, I am happy to wait and apply after paying tax for 3yrs.

But what about my wife? Any idea what are the chances if my wife alone applies ? Or she has to wait for another 3yrs for my sake and apply PR again as a couple?

Because she has already been paying tax for over 4yrs and works for a reputed company. She has never switched companies and has been loyal to the same company over 20yrs.

When she applied PR in 2010 (she was single at that time), she got rejected. So this is the second rejection for her.

Thanks again. Cheers!
Frankly, I'd think about Australia or Canada. If she is married and applies alone and you are here, it will be rejected again for sure. If she has to wait for a couple of years, unless the marriage is one of convenience, it shouldn't matter all that much.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sanky_001

Post by sanky_001 » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:55 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Frankly, I'd think about Australia or Canada. If she is married and applies alone and you are here, it will be rejected again for sure. If she has to wait for a couple of years, unless the marriage is one of convenience, it shouldn't matter all that much.
Thanks SMS.

We will surely wait and apply as a couple after 2 to 3yrs then.

In the mean time, we are still awaiting the rejection letter.

The last letter didnot say about any timeframe for her to apply again. Not sure what its going to say this time. I will keep you all posted as to what the rejection says this time.

I hope MOM renews her EP this december, just keeping our fingers crossed.

Cheers !!

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:05 pm

sanky_001 wrote:I hope MOM renews her EP this december, just keeping our fingers crossed.
Sorry to hear. Has your wife considered applying for a PEP (I think her income & time qualifies)? In some respects given your situation I think that your wife being on an employment pass is actually a bonus. It means that you get a DP and not a LTSVP which makes it easier to work part time (if you need as part of your studies) and the PEP is valid for 5 years and not the standard 2.

Other things to do are start contributing to CPF (you can as a foreigner) - and its a good way to start saving for a deposit, volunteer in the local community and generally evidence your intention of putting down roots here.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:25 pm

carteki, not any more. He cannot contribute to CPF. That was eliminated back in the '90's

http://www.cpf.gov.sg/cpf_info/publicat ... q.asp#P3Q1

sanky_001

Post by sanky_001 » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:54 pm

carteki wrote:
Sorry to hear. Has your wife considered applying for a PEP (I think her income & time qualifies)? In some respects given your situation I think that your wife being on an employment pass is actually a bonus. It means that you get a DP and not a LTSVP which makes it easier to work part time (if you need as part of your studies) and the PEP is valid for 5 years and not the standard 2.

Other things to do are start contributing to CPF (you can as a foreigner) - and its a good way to start saving for a deposit, volunteer in the local community and generally evidence your intention of putting down roots here.
Thank you Carteki.

Wow, she has not thought about PEP. So you are saying if her EP is not likely to get renewed, she can apply for PEP? Can she still work for the same company if she has PEP? MOM website states that PEP is valid for 5yrs, so one needs to apply for a new PEP after 5 yrs or its given only once in a life time ?

By the way, when I hold a DP, do I stand more chance of getting a job than a foreigner on a visit pass? Just curios. I have close to 8yrs experience in Service Industry.

Thanks for you input SMS

Cheers !!! :)

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 1:25 pm

SMS - thank you for pointing that out - my bad! I got the CPF scheme confused with the supplementary retirement scheme http://app.mof.gov.sg/supplementary_ret ... cheme.aspx which foreigners CAN contribute to but you cannot use this money to purchase property

Sanky: It is unlikely that if the EP is declined that you will get a PEP, so I would suggest applying for the PEP 1st (you can apply for an EP if the PEP is declined).
The PEP removes the onus of responsibility from the employer to the employee. Therefore she can move jobs without requiring a new work permit and she has 6 months to stay in Singapore without being employed. There is a minimum annual salary requirement (once you have received it), but that is only $2,500 per month. It is only ever issued ONCE (per the rules at the moment), the thinking being that after 5 years the employee either takes up PR, goes home or goes back to a normal EP.

Regarding your employability - it really depends on how you "sell" the fact that you are a DP to your potential employer. SMS will know more about it, but they don't need to apply for a work permit, just a letter of consent http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx. Many employers don't know about this.

edited to add additional notes about the SRS
Last edited by carteki on Fri, 10 Jun 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 2:24 pm

One thing about it. If she were to apply for a PEP right now, she may or may not get it. This is even if she qualifies for it. If she doesn't get the PEP though, it will be a good harbinger of things not yet happened. If she doesn't get the PEP, she will still be able to continue on her EP for however long she can. However, if she is rejected for the PEP even though her time here or her income levels are high enough, then the odds of getting PR are lessened considerably.

The PEP was instituted as a method to make the transition between highly qualified EP holders that could possibly be an asset to Singapore (elevating the depleted gene pool here) and gaining PR. It was to allow those people to have the flexibility of changing employers due to the vagaries of the business world without having to possibly leave Singapore, therefore losing a possible new citizen. Unfortunately, everybody saw it as nothing more than a 5 year visa. Now they are tightening up there as well.

Having said all that, it would still be a good idea to apply to see what the prognosis looks like and maybe allow you to reformulate long term plans.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 2:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Unfortunately, everybody saw it as nothing more than a 5 year visa. Now they are tightening up there as well.
It is true that at the moment people are seeing this as a 5 year period where they don't have to worry about visa renewals, rather than a stepping stone to PR, but I think that certain individuals will be shocked to find that NOT everyone wants to live in Singapore permanently (and sometimes 2 years is not long enough to make that decision). The PEP was also a reaction to the UK's Highly Qualified Migrant Visa - in the case of qualified talent Singapore is in competition with other jurisdictions for these people and needs to at least offer what other jurisdictions are offering.

(I do know that in about mid 2009 the MOM was ACTIVELY ENCOURAGING P1's to convert to PEP's - some of whom would never have taken it up otherwise.)