Singapore Expats

Dual citizenship or apply for Indian passport

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ramanijp

Dual citizenship or apply for Indian passport

Post by ramanijp » Sun, 29 May 2011 4:24 pm

Dear Sir,
I am a Singaporean by birth (basically an Indian) and my Singapore passport will expire in 2012 April. I'm married to an Indian and we have twins of Indian nationality settled in Al Ain in UAE. I'm 46 of age. I have a PIO (Person of Indian Origin). I would like to surrender my Singapore passport and apply for a fresh Indian passport or is it possible for me to to possess dual citizenship of Singaporean and Indian. Please mail back on my e-mail address: [email protected] the procedure to apply for Indian passport.
Anticipating for your early response.

Thank you very much.

Yours respectfuly,
Ramani

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Dual citizenship or apply for Indian passport

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 29 May 2011 5:30 pm

ramanijp wrote:Dear Sir,
I am a Singaporean by birth (basically an Indian) and my Singapore passport will expire in 2012 April. I'm married to an Indian and we have twins of Indian nationality settled in Al Ain in UAE. I'm 46 of age. I have a PIO (Person of Indian Origin). I would like to surrender my Singapore passport and apply for a fresh Indian passport or is it possible for me to to possess dual citizenship of Singaporean and Indian. Please mail back on my e-mail address: [email protected] the procedure to apply for Indian passport.

Thank you very much.

Yours respectfuly,
Ramani
No, you are not allowed to hold dual citizenship under SINGAPORE Constitution. Dual Citizenship is allowable for only minors born overseas of Singapore Descent. But there is a catch as the minor has to renounce one of the other after the age of 21.
Indian Law does not allow dual citizenship too unless I am wrong
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 30 May 2011 4:14 am

The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Mon, 30 May 2011 9:55 am

The PIO(Person of India Origin) card serves almost the same purpose of dual citizenship, except that you can't buy agricultural land or vote in the elections. So why not just renew the SG passport and keep the SG citizenship?

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Sun, 05 Jun 2011 6:30 pm

revhappy wrote:The PIO(Person of India Origin) card serves almost the same purpose of dual citizenship, except that you can't buy agricultural land or vote in the elections. So why not just renew the SG passport and keep the SG citizenship?
maybe he wants to take out all his CPF?
quite a valid reason

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:03 am

ramanijp wrote:Dear Sir,

Thank you very much.

Yours respectfuly,
Ramani
Dude do your kid a favour, register his birth as a Singapore Citizen in Satwa.

Let him retain his dubal citizenship till a major and decide whether to renounce it or not for himself.

Struggle it out, lock your CPF for few more years and give the kid a chance to decide where he wants to work or what he wants to be........

Just what I would do.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:11 am

FaeLLe wrote:
Let him retain his dubal citizenship till a major and decide whether to renounce it or not for himself.
Dubai albeit UAE DOES NOT Offer Citizenship/PR for foreigners. Only Arab League and GCC. SO if you are a foreigner and you lived in UAE , you will never get PR or citizenship of that country

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:46 am

I think he meant double (dubal) or dual citizenship (Indian & Singaporean). :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:56 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:
Dubai albeit UAE DOES NOT Offer Citizenship/PR for foreigners. Only Arab League and GCC. SO if you are a foreigner and you lived in UAE , you will never get PR or citizenship of that country
Lo MS I meant dual.... was a typo.

I lived over 15 years in Dubai since the pre Gulf War days, so would not make the mistake of suggesting him to take up UAE Citizenship :D
Kinda saw the entire region evolve in front of my eyes...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 5:57 pm

I was in Kuwait on 2nd Jan 1990 when they drop the first bomb at Basra. We scramble to Mumbai on the first flight thru Jordan. Then on I stayed in Saudi for a few years till the First Kuwait war ends. Not a pretty sight to see