Singapore Expats

license conversion

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Sat, 29 Nov 2008 9:54 am

louy wrote:Is it easy to pass the basic test. Does one have to revise for it ??
I is definitely worth revising for the test. All it is is checking up on rules of the road and street signs. They are slightly different to where you come from and some of the questions are not that straight forward. I just read the book a couple of evenings before the test and it was fine.

Good luck
Kim

bighoolio

scooter

Post by bighoolio » Sat, 29 Nov 2008 4:13 pm

I just want a wee scooter to pop about the place. I heard a rumer that I can do this without getting a Sing 2b licence if bike is <125cc. Does anybody know if this is true? If so, how do I go about it. I hold full uk driving licence only. Really do not want to go through the whole sing driving school palava.

thanks

Hoolio

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Nov 2008 4:42 pm

Sorry Hoolio, not true. 2b for ANYTHING licensed for the street under 200cc. Dems the breaks.

http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ ... ersion.htm

http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ ... galreq.htm
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Stoven

Post by Stoven » Sat, 29 Nov 2008 5:54 pm

I have just finalized my PR and heard that I will need to convert my license immediately before driving since I am now a PR. Is this true?

With the cost of owning a car being so high I have been looking into getting a scooter.

I am used to being able to ride a 50cc scooter without needing a license but have heard that 50cc bikes are illegal here since they are too slow. All I am looking for is a small bike to ride to the nearest kopitiam. It looks like I might have to start out with a regular bicycle until I get a 2B license.

Steve

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Nov 2008 6:27 pm

Sounds like it.

Unless you buy yourself one of those battery powered bicycles. The are pretty good but you are limited to the amps that they put out. They are not allowed to be capable of doing more than around 20km/hr otherwise I believe you need to license them as well. They also have to be inspected and sealed by LTA for approved usage in Singapore

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/o ... ycles.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sticky Fingers

Post by Sticky Fingers » Thu, 25 Dec 2008 11:31 pm

Hi alll

I converted my class 3 abt two years ago and now I want to convert my class 2B. Friend of mine said it is not posible because conversion is only 1 time. Is that true?

Tks

shiranaihito
Regular
Regular

dont wish to start another thread on similar, thus post here

Post by shiranaihito » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 11:32 am

my ex-colleague, a work permit holder, has a driving license but its from India. He wish to convert his existing license to Singapore license, already surfed the SG driving centre website, feel confused on the FAQ related to it..

who knows, can guide him on the conversion procedure?

tia

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: dont wish to start another thread on similar, thus post

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 11:53 am

shiranaihito wrote:my ex-colleague, a work permit holder, has a driving license but its from India. He wish to convert his existing license to Singapore license, already surfed the SG driving centre website, feel confused on the FAQ related to it..

tia
Did you read this thread? Did you do a search in the forum for 'driving license'?

shiranaihito
Regular
Regular

Post by shiranaihito » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 1:25 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
shiranaihito wrote:my ex-colleague, a work permit holder, has a driving license but its from India. He wish to convert his existing license to Singapore license, already surfed the SG driving centre website, feel confused on the FAQ related to it..

tia
Did you read this thread? Did you do a search in the forum for 'driving license'?

I read this thread before I posted the above. Huh, did I miss out anything huh

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 1:42 pm

shiranaihito wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Did you do a search in the forum for 'driving license'?

I read this thread before I posted the above. Huh, did I miss out anything huh
:roll:

ausinsg
Regular
Regular

Post by ausinsg » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 6:22 am

Have your friend look at the Singapore Police website. Then if they are still confused they can post up what they don't think makes sense and what they feel makes more sense. That will allow people here to explain why a different thought process might be needed to rationalise an outcome here.

http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ ... ersion.htm

Joisey

Post by Joisey » Thu, 10 Nov 2011 1:24 am

I am coming from the US and it looks easy to convert my US license into a Singapore license by passing the written test within the first 12 months. However, if I decide to get a motorcycle instead, is the driving test difficult? Driving tests in the US are simple but when I got my license (auto) in the UK, they were much more demanding. Can anybody provide a comparison to those?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 10 Nov 2011 1:04 pm

Joisey wrote:I am coming from the US and it looks easy to convert my US license into a Singapore license by passing the written test within the first 12 months. However, if I decide to get a motorcycle instead, is the driving test difficult? Driving tests in the US are simple but when I got my license (auto) in the UK, they were much more demanding. Can anybody provide a comparison to those?
I can not compare it with the UK and US but it is a regular test with some Singapore specific touches namely very high emphasis on the riding technique. You can fail (score negative points) if you: accelerate too fast, accelerate too slow, your bike wobbles a bit (really a bit)... things like that, but generally it is not a difficult test. You will probably need to enroll to a course in order to be allowed to take the test.

Passing rate is 50-60%:
http://learn-to-drive.spf.gov.sg/servic ... /2Bto2.htm

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Thu, 10 Nov 2011 1:35 pm

BTT is really easy, although, you need to read the highway code - can get from bookshops it's around $5 I think.

If you want to drive continually from when you get here you must convert the license before 12 months, otherwise you can convert you license later but cannot drive (after 12 months) until you have done so.

One thing to note is: You are expected to know the law of the road in Singapore if you drive and cannot be excused for not knowing it (in regards to parking/speeding/minor offences) whether you have taken your test or not.

Also, please note that there was a waiting list for around 3 months when I booked mine last year, I imagine it's still similar, so book well early!

Test costs $6, License card costs $50(or $150) and book costs $5 max. - Dead simple!
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 10 Nov 2011 7:38 pm

Joisey wrote:I am coming from the US and it looks easy to convert my US license into a Singapore license by passing the written test within the first 12 months. However, if I decide to get a motorcycle instead, is the driving test difficult? Driving tests in the US are simple but when I got my license (auto) in the UK, they were much more demanding. Can anybody provide a comparison to those?
If you are already licensed on a motorcycle, then you will automatically be converted to a class 2b, 200 cc or less. If you can demonstrate extended riding experience on larger motorcycles, then you can ask for and be given an unlimited class 2. No riding test is required for either license.

OTOH, if you have no motorcycle endorsement, you will not get any motorcycle endorsement here. Your only option will be to do the course to get a motorcycle DL. Takes 6 months to do it, minimum.