Singapore Expats

struggles to get pr for husband

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 05 Jun 2011 8:46 am

lucyng wrote:maybe you can sent me a mail [email protected], I see how I can help U
Be a dear and post your help on this board. Otherwise, I might just think you are attempting to solicit business and I will delete all your posts.

macvato

Post by macvato » Sun, 05 Jun 2011 11:43 pm

Thank you all for all your input. We have decided to take more time to think over things and perform our due diligence (i.e. scouring this board and more internet sources before we commit)

@ ironmac - yes, I am Chinese.
My husband is Caucasian-Hispanic mix.
Yes, if we do decide to move, I will have a job lined up.
My entire natal family is in Singapore. Will probably be staying with my parents if/when we go.
My husband works from home, we are investigating if he can continue doing so in Singapore - all he will need is good internet connection (BTW, how good is the internet connection in Singapore?) and the willingness to keep 'vampire' hours.
My in-laws are still alive - why would this matter? Just wondering...

My current homework: figuring what is the enterpass scheme and PEP :)

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 10:26 am

Internet connections in Singapore are usually good with nice speeds. Good Luck !

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Post by IronMac » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 8:36 pm

Ok, thanks for the additional info. It sounds pretty good, then.

Good:

1. You've been married for 9 years, sorry, forgot about this good point earlier.
2. Chinese on one side.
3. Got an American who is considered a good catch from what my wife tells me. White guys are supposedly hot. Government prefers Chinese, though. hehehe
4. You've got the whole family in SG.

Bad:

1. Like I said, they would prefer a Chinese.
2. Your in-laws are alive.

Analysis:

Ok, first off, why do I say that the fact that your in-laws are alive is bad? It's only my impression but there is a big emphasis on "filial" duty and they may suspect that if there are any issues with your in-laws then you husband may hie off home.

Second, if you look through my "Falling Through the Cracks for PR" thread, I also work from home ( I guess you can call them 'vampire' hours) and depend on high-speed Internet. One of the best features of SG is the Internet access here. Incredible value. I currently use Singtel as my main ISP but both Starhub and M1 have been good too. M1 a bit flakier at times but I still use them as a backup Internet service.

Third, if your husband is going to apply for PR here then he should bring over his financials for at least three years.

Good luck!

macvato wrote:Thank you all for all your input. We have decided to take more time to think over things and perform our due diligence (i.e. scouring this board and more internet sources before we commit)

My entire natal family is in Singapore. Will probably be staying with my parents if/when we go.
My husband works from home, we are investigating if he can continue doing so in Singapore - all he will need is good internet connection (BTW, how good is the internet connection in Singapore?) and the willingness to keep 'vampire' hours.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 4:17 am

IronMac wrote: 2. Your in-laws are alive.

Analysis:

Ok, first off, why do I say that the fact that your in-laws are alive is bad? It's only my impression but there is a big emphasis on "filial" duty and they may suspect that if there are any issues with your in-laws then you husband may hie off home.

Third, if your husband is going to apply for PR here then he should bring over his financials for at least three years.

Good luck!
Are you sure about this ? Where did you get this from ??
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Post by IronMac » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 1:25 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
IronMac wrote: 2. Your in-laws are alive.

Analysis:

Good luck!
Are you sure about this ? Where did you get this from ??

You're asking about #2? It's my opinion based on:

A. The fact that the PR application asks you to list down your parents' names and passport numbers. Why do they need this? I think it's just a way for them to ascertain whether or not there are any strong ties back home.
B. There was a comment made to us by the bureaucracy about filial duty and how important it was. Certainly that is something that the gov't here plays up.

So, those two factors have lead me to conclude that a PR applicant's parents are a factor in ICA's consideration of whether or not to approve. It's only a conclusion and it's certainly not fact but who knows what ICA considers important. That's why I said in my own thread that anything I say is time-sensitive. A year from now, the goalposts may be moved further or closer.

If you're asking about #3, I believe it's in the application form that they want the financials for the last three years.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 1:59 pm

macvato wrote:Thank you all for all your input. We have decided to take more time to think over things and perform our due diligence (i.e. scouring this board and more internet sources before we commit)

If you had ask this question a couple of years ago I would have said your hubby stood a very good chance of getting PR. Mrs S and I were in the exact same situation over 3 years ago but being a Brit I was a far better catch :P

However these days it hard to say what the ICA are thinking and made it a lot tougher for spouses to obtain PR in these cases, and I personally think it's for the better.

IMHO, I think you have a lot of plus points which can only help your application

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 5:55 pm

A. The fact that the PR application asks you to list down your parents' names and passport numbers. Why do they need this? I think it's just a way for them to ascertain whether or not there are any strong ties back home.
It is basically routine procedure, to document family, if you do not document family, they will not have the chance to apply for LTVSP. For example if you have remarried and have children to a previous spouse, they would not be allowed to stay any longer than the tourist visa, if not declared.

Filial duty is correct within Singapore, what goes on outside of Singapore is hardly their concern.

But if you wanted your parents or inlaws to stay in Singapore, when they get old, they must be declared, If not declared, they have no chance of application. Though you still must have the financial capability to support them. There is also the problem of notifying the next of kin if you, become ill and are hospitalised for a long period and die! Who's going to pay the bill for your recycling! Parents are normally cash rich or poor, but to get their siblings body bag, is priceless to some.

So it's neither a plus or minus when it comes to PR as they have procedures already in place to deal with it.

I would call it commonsense to list close family, nothing more or less. can you imagine the parents waiting on the doorstep and immigration say sorry your son or daughter never declared you, as their parents you have to return back home. You would have a hard time convincing immigration later that the people stood waiting are your parents.

Passport numbers and travel documents will be checked for authenticity of course, though their is probably a million or so people with the name Liu, or wong. Collecting data as its purpose don't you think!

macvato

my in-laws

Post by macvato » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 1:24 am

We have a curious relationship with my in-laws... anyway, I don't think they have passports.. and neither are they very likely to visit us. Sorry, TMI!! LOL

Thank you all for your very kind input :)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 4:24 am

IronMac wrote: You're asking about #2? It's my opinion based on:

B. There was a comment made to us by the bureaucracy about filial duty and how important it was. Certainly that is something that the gov't here plays up.

So, those two factors have lead me to conclude that a PR applicant's parents are a factor in ICA's consideration of whether or not to approve. It's only a conclusion and it's certainly not fact but who knows what ICA considers important. That's why I said in my own thread that anything I say is time-sensitive. A year from now, the goalposts may be moved further or closer.

If you're asking about #3, I believe it's in the application form that they want the financials for the last three years.
Your assumption are wrong

Read the PR application

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151#eligibility

http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/do ... 4_4-01.pdf

If you filled up under family ties, ICA needs to know if your immediate family and your parents since some applicants would like to bring their parents under LTSVP if PR is approved. Only those included in this application will have pre approval vetting done in the future. If you did not include , you will have to resubmit all docs and your ties with your inlaw or your parents under LTSVP. This goes the same for your children. biological or adpoted. This is the guideline
Moreoever it is a stepping stone for citizenship application

Your financial background is a self vetting process of your financial stability. It is more towards the local not in cahoot under the marriage of convenience, not a burden to the healthcare system, educational background which add values to SG economy etc

BTW most countries have a similar line of question on their PR applications. I know because I have applied for myself in other countries
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!