Singapore Expats

Funan or Simlim?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
ElHani

Post by ElHani » Tue, 03 May 2011 3:48 pm

BillyB wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:You choice. Same netbook. But if you don't know what you are looking for or doing, then funan is your best choice. Sim Lim will eat you alive if you don't already know about your product and it's price.
+1.

When I think of Sim Lim, I always imagine someone buying a notebook, getting home, opening the box and finding a couple of bricks or an old typewriter......
That's funny!!! omg.. u just made my day! hahahahakz! >.<
Just like a bottle.

ElHani

Post by ElHani » Tue, 03 May 2011 3:55 pm

omg. u guys got me confused. Seriously, i had to read all the comments twice and laugh at my desktop screen like an idiot. hahaha! Frankly, waiting for IT fair sounds good. But i have to torture myself with this super duper laggy 7-yr-old com of mine. nevertheless... u guys are cool man!! thank u!!! :lol:
Just like a bottle.

Eric 35

Post by Eric 35 » Thu, 05 May 2011 2:10 pm

Funan of course. People at Funan are more genuine but make sure you go to those big shops.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 05 May 2011 2:40 pm

Eric 35 wrote:Funan of course. People at Funan are more genuine but make sure you go to those big shops.
Can you justify your statement ?? :D :D

As I mentioned, you didn't know that most IT shops in Funan are "SISTER" companies of those in SLS .. you didn't know that right ??

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 May 2011 2:48 pm

Fortunately, they don't have the same sales people in Funan operating those sister companies........ :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 05 May 2011 3:10 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Eric 35 wrote:Funan of course. People at Funan are more genuine but make sure you go to those big shops.
Can you justify your statement ?? :D :D

As I mentioned, you didn't know that most IT shops in Funan are "SISTER" companies of those in SLS .. you didn't know that right ??
Obviously one half of the family goes to church, the other half.................don't have time because they are counting their cash on Sunday mornings!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 05 May 2011 3:13 pm

x9200 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:Challenger is on the same price level as HN, Courts or Best Denki meaning 10-30% more expensive than you can get from AP or CP
This may be true for some items but for others Challenger is very competitive.
Like?
I bought an HP Pavilion lap top for less money at HN then I could buy at most of the smaller shops in Funan. Challenger very competitive on accessories like mice, speakers, etc. I think Challenger PC's cost too much, phones and cameras competitive.

ld_runner
Regular
Regular

Older computers...

Post by ld_runner » Thu, 05 May 2011 3:44 pm

If you are a bit of a computer geek you can always install Linux/Ubunto. Its a totally free operating system... and Open Office is every bit as good as Microsoft Office 'cept it dowes not have Outlook but Windowes LIVE is free and owrks just as good. Sometimes "Free" is good...
J.A.N. Just Another Noobie. Hoping to make some friends and branch out from the regular 9 to 5 crowd at work. Cheers!

fumblyfumbler

Post by fumblyfumbler » Sat, 28 May 2011 8:50 pm

For a foreigner I recommend Funan. Simlim feels very dodgy and I wouldn't want to set foot in it again!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 29 May 2011 10:29 am

Strong Eagle wrote: I bought an HP Pavilion lap top for less money at HN then I could buy at most of the smaller shops in Funan. Challenger very competitive on accessories like mice, speakers, etc. I think Challenger PC's cost too much, phones and cameras competitive.
It is always some kind of running average. Challenger has sometimes very nice offers - i.e. I bought there 5 years ago or so dlink IP cameras for $S49 each. Prices for accessories I found average - some cheap, some expensive. For basic components like hard drives etc - extremely expensive; routers, other network components - expensive; storage consumables (blank DVDs etc) - expensive; printer consumable (toners, inks etc) - cheap to average; web cameras, printers - cheap to average. I've never bough a desktop PC as a single entity so no idea here.
Clear advantage for Challenger - this is one stop shop and if somebody is not that much into this kind of stuff it is much more convenient. I've been buying in SLS for years and know the places and prices but again, if somebody does it once every 1-2y the time he/she may need to find the right outlets is probably not worth the price difference.

ElHani

Post by ElHani » Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:07 pm

woah! Anyway guys, be it funan or simlim, i believe its almost the same. Simlim, after receiving such impressions, i'm sure the management had done something about it. I went to funan recently, met a friend for lunch. And it's not as IT as i thought. Its just like another shopping mall, only that their main focus is on IT products. They have food, clothes, JEWELLERY (can u imagine that...), and tuition centres! =D
Just like a bottle.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:23 pm

That's a good thing though, when you take your lady with you she has a dozen stores that might interest her while you hope around all 5 floors looking at electronics (plus the whole 6th floor occupied by Challenger). :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 19 Jun 2011 11:11 am

aster wrote:That's a good thing though, when you take your lady with you she has a dozen stores that might interest her while you hope around all 5 floors looking at electronics (plus the whole 6th floor occupied by Challenger). :)
This is not enough I believe. SLS offers here a much better arrangement. If for some freaking reason I decide to go for this kind of shopping with my lady this would be SLS. I will stay there and she will go to the OG complex right across the street.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:48 pm

Good point. But then Raffles City is just two mins away from Funan, so if you really need your lady to give you LOTS of time then this would be my tactic. :)

breakfast_cereal

Post by breakfast_cereal » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:31 pm

Seem like should avoid simlim at all cost. Guess more reputable outlets like challenger and best denki are safer bets.

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”