Singapore Expats

Best tasting Cakes in Singapore ?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 24 May 2011 6:32 pm

QRM wrote:Try his fluffy pancakes alot of effort but well worth it ! I heard poopy seeds are banned in Singapore or is that another urban myth, like the government wanted to sterilise all uneducated women?
It was O'Bamas global warming advisor (John Holdren) who advocated the sterilisation of women back in the 1970's, in order to avert famine during the then 'imminent new ice-age'.

But you're right QRM, I have heard both of the above mentioned with reference to SG... don't know how true they are!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 24 May 2011 6:35 pm

JR8 wrote: O'Bamas
Is this because of the Ireland visit?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 24 May 2011 6:39 pm

nakatago wrote:
And because he's gone down that well trodden American route of establishing that he has Irish ancestors... lol.

Vee

Post by Vee » Tue, 24 May 2011 8:04 pm

Wow JR8, the cake looks super yummy!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 24 May 2011 9:34 pm

JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
And because he's gone down that well trodden American route of establishing that he has Irish ancestors... lol.
Patty O'Furniture, meet Barack O'Bama.

And of course, O'Bama no doubt met the two Irish gays... Patrick Fitzgerald and Gerald Fitzpatrick.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 24 May 2011 9:44 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote: Is this because of the Ireland visit?
Patty O'Furniture, meet Barack O'Bama.

And of course, O'Bama no doubt met the two Irish gays... Patrick Fitzgerald and Gerald Fitzpatrick.
Bwahaha... :lol:

Edit to add:
That applies to both the previous and following posts.... :)
Last edited by JR8 on Tue, 24 May 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 24 May 2011 10:09 pm

JR8 wrote:And because he's gone down that well trodden American route of establishing that he has Irish ancestors... lol.
There's a perfectly good rebuttal for that: http://youtu.be/Cz7eLb5u0rA
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 25 May 2011 12:02 pm

QRM wrote:I heard poopy seeds are banned in Singapore or is that another urban myth, like the government wanted to sterilise all uneducated women?
Unfortunately not entirely a myth. Poppy seed cake one of my favorite :(

http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/cnb/
1. I would like to know if I am allowed to bring poppy seeds into Singapore for my baking business.

Poppy seeds are classified as prohibited goods. Any company or person who wishes to import them or any foodstuff that contain the substance must submit the Inward Declaration Form which can also be downloaded from http://www.tradexchange.gov.sg together with a certificate from the exporting country or the country of orgin of the poppy seeds. A sample of the seeds or related product is to be sent to the Director, Centre for Forensic Science, Health Sciences Authority (HSA) at 11 Outram Road, Singapore 169078 (Attn: Dr Lee Tong Kooi) by the importer for analysis and to submit the results of analysis to the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB). In the event HSA certifies that the poppy seeds are cleared of any controlled substances, ie no traces of morphine detected, CNB will endorse and approve the Inward Declaration Form. With the endorsement by CNB, Customs will allow the poppy seeds to be imported into Singapore. If the poppy seeds are found to contain trace of controlled substances, then import approval will not be given.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 May 2011 12:32 pm

QRM wrote:I heard poopy seeds are banned in Singapore or is that another urban myth, like the government wanted to sterilise all uneducated women?
Yeah, apparently Poppy Seeds are banned, but poopy seeds are okay, but of course it depends on the poopy seeds though. These are okay, but bloody expensive:

Luwak Kopi seeds. "Poopy" seeds from the Civet Cat :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 25 May 2011 12:56 pm

Funny, with a very limited number of outlets they have in the duty free zone at the Bintan ferry terminal one is entirely for Kopi Luwak. Must be getting popular. IIRC they offered a small bag (~20-50g) for SGD40.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 25 May 2011 4:15 pm

I'm ok with the Nescafe thanks! :? :lol:

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Wed, 25 May 2011 6:03 pm

Whats stopping an enterprising Chinaman from eating kilos of beans and flogging them off the following morning to unsuspecting punters?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 25 May 2011 6:14 pm

The natural extension: it actually happened.

As described on this film review site...
http://www.indiefilm.com/cookbook/encyc ... /ecmH.html
------------------------------
'HUMAN BBQ PORK BUNS

A few years ago there was a story out of China about a restaurant owner who was caught selling meat-filled bread rolls filled with human meat. This Chinese production is apparently based on that story (or vise versa). A misanthropic scumbag kills some guy and takes over his restaurant. When another guy accuses him of cheating at mah jong, he kills him too by shoving a paper spindle through his eye and beating him to death with a soup ladle. Then, the scumbag cuts the guy up and cooks him into a batch of barbecue pork buns. The buns are a big hit, especially with the police investigating the recent disappearances of people, so the scumbag starts killing everybody else he doesn't like to make more buns. Graphic murders and mutilations of men women and children follow, but a rape scene (prelude to undoubtedly his tastiest batch of buns), is cut.

Flipside

Re: Best tasting Cakes in Singapore ?

Post by Flipside » Tue, 31 May 2011 3:01 pm

tina1980 wrote:Where can you find the best tasting cakes in singapore ?

I'm always on the hunt for the yummy cakes and the ones I have eaten in Europe are way way better than the ones found in the stores here. The only way I can explain the taste is to say that the ones found here seem to have a local home grown taste (more salt/more lard -cant really pin it down) .Given there are a few better tasting ones from Rive gauche but which ones have you discovered to be the best ?
go to clementi area, i think sunset road there and there's this cake place that has AWESOME cakes!! :)

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 4:50 am

JR8 wrote:Nah....

I going to do a lemon drizzle cake tonight. Mmmmm... unbeatable... :wink:

Edit to add -

is that icing on the cake or are you just happy to see me? :lol:
Everybody was KungFu Fighting.....