Singapore Expats

Employment Pass - No Degree - High Income

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 23 May 2011 4:16 am

Skrotpels wrote:Hey people, I too have the same 'problem' as you.
I've been offered a relocation to singapore within the company, will earn about 15k.
Got no degrees, but about 12years experience.
Should I be worried?
IMHO, no, if your company is going to pay you that much. The P1 min. salary has risen or soon to be in June to $8K. You are above that min. requirement. MOM still needs to vet you though
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Skrotpels

Post by Skrotpels » Tue, 24 May 2011 5:18 am

Thanks Mr. Scientist! :)
I guess these times makes me think i should have stayed in school! :)

This is a great forum, and I hope when i get to singapore i can meet you guys in a pub or something!
Have a great day!

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Tue, 24 May 2011 7:48 am

In this day and age degrees are a dime a dozen. Experience and common sense? Not so easy to find. Especially in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 May 2011 8:32 am

Calmday wrote:In this day and age degrees are a dime a dozen. Experience and common sense? Not so easy to find. Especially in Singapore.
Ain't it the truth! :(

And the locals aren't much better..... :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Tettossim

Re: Employment Pass - No Degree - High Income

Post by Tettossim » Mon, 03 Jun 2019 9:34 am

Hey everyone,
I got a job offer from a restaurant in Singapore to move there & work as a chef.
I don't have any degree & my salary is going to be somewhere between 5300(+levy) or 6000$.

I'm 28years old with 12 years experience (i have reference letters proving that I've been working all these years).

Do you think that i will have any difficulties during my work permit procedure?
Do i have to do anything else?

Looking forward to your replies!!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Jun 2019 12:15 pm

You'll need at least 8 or 9K/mo or at least 2 Michelin stars. And a lot of luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Tettossim

Post by Tettossim » Mon, 03 Jun 2019 8:04 pm

Dear SundayMorningStaple thank you very much for your reply.

Even if my secondary education was based on culinary education, now I'm final year student on culinary arts & i have almost 10years experience?

Thank youuuuu!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Jun 2019 9:13 pm

What the MOM (Ministry of Manpower) wants and what the employer wants do not always dovetail. Sure you can get an S pass with experience only, but for an Employment Pass you will need a degree from an approved university or some level of international recognition, hence Michelin stars. When you finish your degree (I'm assuming it's a B.A/Sc in culinary arts) and with 10 years experience you shouldn't have a worry. BUT I think I'd finish the degree first.

But, having said that, don't quit you current job, and if you have a job offer, let that company apply for your working permit and see what happens (I think you have 90 days to take up the position after you receive the IPA - In Principle Approval). We have seen things over the years that do cause us some raised eyebrows so who knows. But make sure you have an IPA before you leave your current position.