Singapore Expats

Is EPEC the best way?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
leeste

Is EPEC the best way?

Post by leeste » Sun, 15 May 2011 11:20 pm

Hi,
I'm a Canadian citizen married to a Singaporean citizen (ROMed Dec 2009 @ Royal China), and we were planning to move to SG by the end of this year. Naively, I assumed that it would be straightforward for me to obtain PR status, but from reading some of the forum posts it appears that the current political situation is unfavourable, and processing times can be quite long (>>3months) :cry:

Both my husband and I are living overseas at the moment, so he does not have records of SG salary with which to support my PR application. His boss has allowed him to continue his job in California while he lives in SG. My postdoc fellowship will end in Japan at the beginning of September. I have a PhD in materials science from an ivy league school. Is EPEC now the best (highest chance, fastest) way for me to enter the country? I would prefer to start searching for jobs once I arrive, because I'm rather confused about my career, and am considering leaving academia for industry/other fields.

I saw in this thread that Saint was successful in a similar situation (http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra393268.html). I suppose if the processing time for PRs were not so long, it might even be possible in my case? Thanks in advance for your help.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Is EPEC the best way?

Post by FaeLLe » Mon, 16 May 2011 6:15 pm

leeste wrote:Hi,
I'm a Canadian citizen married to a Singaporean citizen (ROMed Dec 2009 @ Royal China), and we were planning to move to SG by the end of this year. Naively, I assumed that it would be straightforward for me to obtain PR status, but from reading some of the forum posts it appears that the current political situation is unfavourable, and processing times can be quite long (>>3months) :cry:

Both my husband and I are living overseas at the moment, so he does not have records of SG salary with which to support my PR application. His boss has allowed him to continue his job in California while he lives in SG. My postdoc fellowship will end in Japan at the beginning of September. I have a PhD in materials science from an ivy league school. Is EPEC now the best (highest chance, fastest) way for me to enter the country? I would prefer to start searching for jobs once I arrive, because I'm rather confused about my career, and am considering leaving academia for industry/other fields.

I saw in this thread that Saint was successful in a similar situation (http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra393268.html). I suppose if the processing time for PRs were not so long, it might even be possible in my case? Thanks in advance for your help.
Most likely you will only be granted an LTSVP. Chances of PR are slim unless you are resident in Singapore for around 2 years .
This will allow you to stay in Singapore for duration of visa without being able to work.

There is a chance too (though unlikely in my humble opinion) that you might not be granted any kind of visa.

leeste

Post by leeste » Mon, 16 May 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks for the info, FaeLLe. I'd bet being married for just under 2 years, and living in different countries would certainly not help my case for PR :wink:

By LTSVP, do you mean: (1) the one issued by ICA to those who have a SC spouse, or (2) the one that you'd apply for after obtaining an EPEC? Are the two routes evaluated and assessed the same way?

For example, in the first case, there are extra forms (V391, V234) to fill out, and there is specifically an area which states "If you and your spouse are not living together, please provide reasons in a separate piece of paper". It also asks for my husband's salary in S$, although I'm unclear as to whether this could be based on his current US salary.

If I could reasonably be assured to get an EPEC and then a LTSVP on my own merits, then I'd rather not have to rely on a spousal sponsor with us being overseas + on a dual-career track. It seems SG is quite weary of people entering via marriage, but if not for my husband I (no offense intended) would not be moving here. We are just sick of being apart and want to settle down now.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Mon, 16 May 2011 11:15 pm

leeste wrote:Thanks for the info, FaeLLe. I'd bet being married for just under 2 years, and living in different countries would certainly not help my case for PR :wink:

By LTSVP, do you mean: (1) the one issued by ICA to those who have a SC spouse, or (2) the one that you'd apply for after obtaining an EPEC? Are the two routes evaluated and assessed the same way?

For example, in the first case, there are extra forms (V391, V234) to fill out, and there is specifically an area which states "If you and your spouse are not living together, please provide reasons in a separate piece of paper". It also asks for my husband's salary in S$, although I'm unclear as to whether this could be based on his current US salary.

If I could reasonably be assured to get an EPEC and then a LTSVP on my own merits, then I'd rather not have to rely on a spousal sponsor with us being overseas + on a dual-career track. It seems SG is quite weary of people entering via marriage, but if not for my husband I (no offense intended) would not be moving here. We are just sick of being apart and want to settle down now.
Frankly there is no difference in the LTSVP issued by route 1 or 2.

Once you get a EPEC it only tells an employer that if anything your EP or WP application will not be rejected due to lack of educational qualifications.

You sill need to pass other MOM criteria before being issued one.

The local job scene does not seem to favor EPEC holders anymore.
Your best bet would still be get an LTSVP through route 1 and hunt for jobs then switch visas.

leeste

Post by leeste » Tue, 17 May 2011 10:06 pm

I see. Thanks!

leeste

Post by leeste » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:15 pm

Just wanted to report back with some details for others who might benefit...

19 Sept: Received 30-day short term visit pass on arrival at Changi.
27 Sept: Applied for LTVP online through spousal scheme.
29 Sept: Received email notice that my 30-day pass had been extended to 90-days.
6 Oct: Received email notice that my LTVP had been approved in principle for a 12-month period, contingent on medical test results (Chest x-ray for TB, HIV).

Not sure if this info is of interest, but I paid ~$45 at SATA CommHealth for the LTVP medical exam package. You can pickup your report from them two days after the examination.