Singapore Expats

Opposition pre-election vid re: foreigners

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: what ails immigraiton policies ..

Post by JR8 » Fri, 13 May 2011 4:09 pm

Plavt wrote: Some right-wing thinking largely mis-informed or just biased maybe.
Which bits do you disagree with, or are you just having a pop at BB?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 13 May 2011 4:19 pm

JR8 wrote:
Plavt wrote: Some right-wing thinking largely mis-informed or just biased maybe.
I don't want to de-rail this thread so I will answer your question as briely as possible; several of Billyb's statements are largely incorrect or mis-informed as to which he should do some research instead of relying on a largely right-wing press which is often devoid of certain facts. As for the remark about Gordon Brown he in actual fact put the country on its feet when he was chancellor, people have forgotten that most of the time the Labour were in power the country was doing well. The issue that caused chaos as you know was the credit crunch initiated by the bankers!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 13 May 2011 4:34 pm

Plavt wrote:
JR8 wrote:
I don't want to de-rail this thread so I will answer your question as briely as possible; several of Billyb's statements are largely incorrect or mis-informed as to which he should do some research instead of relying on a largely right-wing press which is often devoid of certain facts. As for the remark about Gordon Brown he in actual fact put the country on its feet when he was chancellor, people have forgotten that most of the time the Labour were in power the country was doing well. The issue that caused chaos as you know was the credit crunch initiated by the bankers!
If I might say so, that is a load of steaming pinko bunkum!

I agree though... one for another thread...

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 13 May 2011 5:01 pm

JR8 wrote: If I might say so, that is a load of steaming pinko bunkum!
Seems you and Billyb have something in common: a very short memory.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 13 May 2011 5:27 pm

Plavt wrote:
JR8 wrote:
I haven't got any political axe to grind, I just believe Gordon Brown didn't do a great job in both roles. He inherited a good economy and it coincided with favourable economic conditions. Subsequently, he made a catastrophic mess of it fudging employment, borrowing heavily to initiate growth, and botching the pension systems amongst other things along the way.

Plavt, take off your Labour tinted glasses as you are clearly delusional.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 14 May 2011 4:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:

Am I idealistic? Yes. I like to continue to think that there are other people out there, like me, who do things for personal satisfaction and the desire to make other people's lives more comfortable. Wish there were more of us, but we seem to be a dying breed.
[/rant]
@SMS, your statement makes me sad. are we that old and the dying breed??
Have no fear , buddy, you are not alone. :D
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Sat, 14 May 2011 7:09 pm

I can't believe I'm actually reading a post where someone is defending gormless Gordon! The man was a disaster, he mortgaged the country's future and has left the bill for the next generation to pay for (and probably the generation after that too) and was the man responsible for forcing the banks to lend to people who were never going to be able to pay it back. Blame the banks for the financial crisis if you must, but remember who deregulated them and pushed them to take ridiculous risks in the name of "economic growth"

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 14 May 2011 7:54 pm

JayCee wrote:I can't believe I'm actually reading a post where someone is defending gormless Gordon! The man was a disaster, he mortgaged the country's future and has left the bill for the next generation to pay for (and probably the generation after that too) and was the man responsible for forcing the banks to lend to people who were never going to be able to pay it back. Blame the banks for the financial crisis if you must, but remember who deregulated them and pushed them to take ridiculous risks in the name of "economic growth"
Also that it was Clinton who outlawed 'red-lining' by banks and forced through positive discrimination (lending to people who hadn't a hope of paying it back) via the likes of the ACORN Act.

These policies were pursued by Clinton and Brown in the hope of creating an illusion of prosperity and to garner more votes for themselves. The criminals here are the politicians.

Lest we forget...

'GORDON BROWN’S PRAISE FOR THE BANKERS
Gordon Brown as Labour Chancellor of the Exchequer, the man responsible for Bank regulation was in favour of little or no supervision of reckless lending. Consider this Mansion House speech to Bankers by Gordon Brown on 20th June 2007, less than three months before the first bank, Northern Rock, failed.

“Over the ten years that I have had the privilege of addressing you as Chancellor, I have been able year by year to record how the City of London has risen by your efforts, ingenuity and creativity to become a new world leader.

I congratulate you Lord Mayor and the City of London on these remarkable achievements, an era that history will record as the beginning of a new golden age for the City of London.

And I believe the lesson we learn from the success of the City has ramifications far beyond the City itself - that we are leading because we are first in putting to work exactly that set of qualities that is needed for global success:
And I believe it will be said of this age, the first decades of the 21st century, that out of the greatest restructuring of the global economy, perhaps even greater than the industrial revolution, a new world order was created.”

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 16 May 2011 4:08 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote: LKY has often said when you retire you die. That's why he will never retire. Research does suggest that physical and mental health start declining upon retirement.
:D :D To stir up the pot ..

Now how ??? :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 May 2011 5:10 pm

He's not retiring. He's just stepping down from being an over-the-hill former PM & Minister Mentor to being an MP. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 16 May 2011 5:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:He's not retiring. He's just stepping down from being an over-the-hill former PM & Minister Mentor to being an MP. :wink:
LKY stepping down from MM role. Did I miss something!?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 16 May 2011 5:31 pm

A gracious handing over of the reins, against personal desire, for the greater good. Whatever people may say, truly a statesman. I'm both sad and impressed. Change has come indeed.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 16 May 2011 5:39 pm

JR8 wrote:LKY stepping down from MM role. Did I miss something!?
JR8 ?? Where do you live ?? :D :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13400296

(as I suspect a British news site ... would be better .. )

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Mon, 16 May 2011 5:39 pm

They should have announced this during the election campaign for maximum effect...

I am saddened by the news, it is like a good grandfather and father handing over the family affairs to the elder brother. But it was bound to happen, sooner or later.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 16 May 2011 5:40 pm

:-k
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."