Singapore Expats

Opposition pre-election vid re: foreigners

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Opposition pre-election vid re: foreigners

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 May 2011 12:00 am

SGUS wrote: If you are comparing Singapore to developing countries around Singapore or any developing country, sure Singapore fares well except Singaporeans are not paying the lower standard of living like in those places; but are receiving stagnated wages. This is exactly what the govt have been telling people,the thing is what's the point of comparing to those who are worst off. I tend to believe most Singaporeans want to compete against to those on par with you or better than you, after all that's how the country can improve!

Only Singapore's infrastructure is 1st world, the vast majority of locals however are only one generation removed from the kampung and a good portion of them cannot compete with other 1st world workers.

No doubt Singapore has benefitted from foreign companies and the foreign professionals these industries attract but the recent influx of foreigners,with no regards to skill levels, has major impact on the social and economic issues. Even a big immigrant country like USA brings in 65K new foreign professional each year; but Singapore took in 150K (both professional and non-professionals) each year in last few years, obviously that generates discontent among locals, wouldn't it?

Discontent yes, but do they ever wonder how the wheels of industry are going to keep turning if they aren't procreating? If they are retiring worker when they hit 62 or refusing to hire workers after they pass 45? The structural unemployment of Singaporeans is one of the lowest in the world but the problem is deeper than than. With only 1.16 fertility rate, if you don't bring in even the lower level workers (industry) the wheels will stop turning and the MNC will move to your neighbour's who are anxiously awaiting them as they know the local population is about to totally screw up Singapore to the point that there will probably be a mass exodus like Evergreen did a couple of years ago.

In general, Singaporeans welcome managerial/professionals but not so much for the low skilled workers as the lower-skilled not only compete for low paying jobs but also resources in the HDB estates. On the other hand, the liberal policies that allow new PRs to get HDB apartments (and remember public housing in Singapore has no income restrictions as compared to say the US) has caused skyrocketed real estate price, as a result of well-to-do PRs buying both private apt and holding HDB flat. It also created shortage of affordable HDB housing for the younger generation. So this is double wammies for the locals. So most would agree that the immigration policies need to be looked at, should be more selective as to who they want in the country?

Skyrocketing real estate prices? Who is causing that? Sorry to say, but your are grossly misinformed. It is the local Singaporean property owner who is holding out in property scarce Singapore for the absolutely highest COV they can get. There is nothing stopping a Singaporean from selling to other Singaporeans at a decent price, so it would appear the the problem is Singaporean GREED that causes skyrocketing prices. No different than any other property owner in the world, except they don't try to blame it on the buyers, who often have NO Choice but to either buy at inflated prices or pay inflated rentals to the Singaporeans to take the fact that they are foreigners, as a license to gouge.

For all your vaunted education here, a large percentage of the local population sure are dense not to see what is a plain as the nose on their faces.
However, the PAP did need a lesson, I'll agree, but to use the foreigner/housing/cost of living gambit is totally incorrect as there is absolutely nothing the opposition can do either. And, that's why none of them had anything concrete in their manifesto's, (those that did have them), WP didn't even have plans for Aljunied and still don't. Why? Because the WP is being used by Chen to further his personal ambition to become PM and nothing more. The WP just happens to be the largest opposition base he could tap into for his own ends.

Good luck, cause you're gonna need it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SGUS

Post by SGUS » Thu, 12 May 2011 12:19 am

eleri wrote:
BillyB wrote: Don't you just love politics. It's interesting to listen to what angers people in different countries and compare and contrast that to your home Country.
And I'm still trying to understand what SGpns are arguing about.
You can see my post dated May 11.
You are probably an expat; if you put yourself in the shoes of the locals, you will understand where the discontents is coming from.

I am an expat in the US, though I can understand how a minority person feels in a foreign country; I also understand the need to assimilate to my new surrounding quickly and be respectful of the local culture. E.g. I don't trash things everywhere in my neighborhood, I don't speak loudly to draw attention to myself in public places or cut lines; I also volunteered and raised funds for good cause. I once asked a few PRC Chinese friends why they speak loud in public space and in trains, and the replies were that since many around them don't understand Chinese(Mandarin) and thus won't know the content of their conversation, it was ok to do so .... sigh, very disrespectful of the local culture (private space is appreciated) , indeed.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 12 May 2011 12:50 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
SGUS wrote: If you are comparing Singapore to developing countries around Singapore or any developing country, sure Singapore fares well except Singaporeans are not paying the lower standard of living like in those places; but are receiving stagnated wages. This is exactly what the govt have been telling people,the thing is what's the point of comparing to those who are worst off. I tend to believe most Singaporeans want to compete against to those on par with you or better than you, after all that's how the country can improve!

Only Singapore's infrastructure is 1st world, the vast majority of locals however are only one generation removed from the kampung and a good portion of them cannot compete with other 1st world workers.

No doubt Singapore has benefitted from foreign companies and the foreign professionals these industries attract but the recent influx of foreigners,with no regards to skill levels, has major impact on the social and economic issues. Even a big immigrant country like USA brings in 65K new foreign professional each year; but Singapore took in 150K (both professional and non-professionals) each year in last few years, obviously that generates discontent among locals, wouldn't it?

Discontent yes, but do they ever wonder how the wheels of industry are going to keep turning if they aren't procreating? If they are retiring worker when they hit 62 or refusing to hire workers after they pass 45? The structural unemployment of Singaporeans is one of the lowest in the world but the problem is deeper than than. With only 1.16 fertility rate, if you don't bring in even the lower level workers (industry) the wheels will stop turning and the MNC will move to your neighbour's who are anxiously awaiting them as they know the local population is about to totally screw up Singapore to the point that there will probably be a mass exodus like Evergreen did a couple of years ago.

In general, Singaporeans welcome managerial/professionals but not so much for the low skilled workers as the lower-skilled not only compete for low paying jobs but also resources in the HDB estates. On the other hand, the liberal policies that allow new PRs to get HDB apartments (and remember public housing in Singapore has no income restrictions as compared to say the US) has caused skyrocketed real estate price, as a result of well-to-do PRs buying both private apt and holding HDB flat. It also created shortage of affordable HDB housing for the younger generation. So this is double wammies for the locals. So most would agree that the immigration policies need to be looked at, should be more selective as to who they want in the country?

Skyrocketing real estate prices? Who is causing that? Sorry to say, but your are grossly misinformed. It is the local Singaporean property owner who is holding out in property scarce Singapore for the absolutely highest COV they can get. There is nothing stopping a Singaporean from selling to other Singaporeans at a decent price, so it would appear the the problem is Singaporean GREED that causes skyrocketing prices. No different than any other property owner in the world, except they don't try to blame it on the buyers, who often have NO Choice but to either buy at inflated prices or pay inflated rentals to the Singaporeans to take the fact that they are foreigners, as a license to gouge.
However, the PAP did need a lesson, I'll agree, but to use the foreigner/housing/cost of living gambit is totally incorrect as there is absolutely nothing the opposition can do either. And, that's why none of them had anything concrete in their manifesto's, (those that did have them), WP didn't even have plans for Aljunied and still don't. Why? Because the WP is being used by Chen to further his personal ambition to become PM and nothing more. The WP just happens to be the largest opposition base he could tap into for his own ends.

Good luck, cause you're gonna need it.
Finally, someone speaks some sense with regard to the house price 'issue' and hits the nail on the head. It's almost like the majority can't see the wood for the tree's.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 12 May 2011 9:46 am

SGUS wrote:
mbeza wrote:Anyone that has traveled to other countries will not be surprised by the reaction of singaporeans to foreing talent. some of them hate the word foreign talent - well, the truth is it is foreign talent. there is clearly not enough local talent.

Singaporeans don't understand that without foreign talent they would be as backward as some of their neighbours. The Singapore Govt is the smartest I know, but the citizens are not nearly as smart to get what the government is doing. This country relies purely on foreign trade and without foreign companies here, this is a poor country. The only developed sector here is the public sector - the govt.

So wake up people.
If you are comparing Singapore to developing countries around Singapore or any developing country, sure Singapore fares well except Singaporeans are not paying the lower standard of living like in those places; but are receiving stagnated wages. This is exactly what the govt have been telling people,the thing is what's the point of comparing to those who are worst off. I tend to believe most Singaporeans want to compete against to those on par with you or better than you, after all that's how the country can improve!

So if you're complaining about the poorer lower-skilled ones coming in competing for low-paying jobs with the locals (the locals don't want most of these jobs so who are you kidding?) and the richer ones coming in buying the HDBs and private apartments, then who exactly would you "select" to come in? It sounds to me like you want no foreigners based on that argument, which isn't a very well though out argument for obvious reasons

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

to stir the pot

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 12 May 2011 10:15 am

I heard this amazing excuse from a Mainlander .. who is a Singaporean now .. along with his brethren ..

"I voted for the opposition, because they will bring down the property price. I don't mind loosing out if my existing apartment prices drops or even if it halves off .. till I have to pay the loan badly, but look at it - my children will be better off with lower property prices .. and they can have affordable housing ... "

Where do these guys come from ??

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 12 May 2011 10:45 am

It would be very interesting to see reaction of Singaporeans if the gahment arbitrary (by law) devaluate the property prices.
Last edited by x9200 on Thu, 12 May 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Thu, 12 May 2011 10:46 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Skyrocketing real estate prices? Who is causing that? Sorry to say, but your are grossly misinformed. It is the local Singaporean property owner who is holding out in property scarce Singapore for the absolutely highest COV they can get. There is nothing stopping a Singaporean from selling to other Singaporeans at a decent price, so it would appear the the problem is Singaporean GREED that causes skyrocketing prices. No different than any other property owner in the world, except they don't try to blame it on the buyers, who often have NO Choice but to either buy at inflated prices or pay inflated rentals to the Singaporeans to take the fact that they are foreigners, as a license to gouge.

However, the PAP did need a lesson, I'll agree, but to use the foreigner/housing/cost of living gambit is totally incorrect as there is absolutely nothing the opposition can do either.
I agree that voting opposition because of foreign workers and cost of living issues is misguided because these are due to economic fundamentals that won't change no matter who is in power.

What I find hard to understand is the view that foreigners have zero impact on property prices, and it's all due to local 'greed'. Firstly, as you've pointed out, property markets the world over generally operate by the rules of supply and demand. With the population increasing faster than we can build apartments, it's natural that prices go up. Is someone greedy simply for asking for the market price?

Secondly, I'm not sure which other cities in the world have foreigners making up 25-40% of the transacted demand for housing. If there were fewer foreigners, the demand for housing would be less and, again because of the forces of demand and supply, housing prices would not be so high.

Let me make clear that I personally have nothing against foreigners and accept high housing prices as the price of progress. I am sincerely trying to understand why so many intelligent expats here flatly deny, against all economic principles, the two points I raise above and simply point their fingers at Singaporean greed. I understand it's no fun for you guys being blamed for something that individually you have little control over, but I find the view that market forces have nothing to do with prices, and greed alone does, rather irrational.

So what am I missing here?

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Thu, 12 May 2011 11:18 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:
Secondly, I'm not sure which other cities in the world have foreigners making up 25-40% of the transacted demand for housing. If there were fewer foreigners, the demand for housing would be less and, again because of the forces of demand and supply, housing prices would not be so high.
While I understand the concerns that locals have about the "foreigners in SG" issue, I find it ridiculous that foreigners ought to selectively impact the economy. The general attitude seems to suggest that while their presence is acceptable when it contributes to more MNCs using SG as a base and creating more jobs, driving consumption, contributing to adding value to the economy, when it comes to a resulting increase in commodity and housing prices the same foreigners ought to be banished from the land.

And for all the opposition parties that claim to stand up for the locals, do they really have a Plan B for Singapore? Am not too sure.

As for the current discussion on whats really driving the demand for housing prices, local greed cannot be completely ruled out. While supply and demand do contribute to the rise in prices, the extent of increase we are now seeing here is driven more by sentiment than market reality IMHO ...well, we'll find out, wont we?
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 12 May 2011 11:30 am

Wind In My Hair wrote: With the population increasing faster than we can build apartments, it's natural that prices go up. Is someone greedy simply for asking for the market price?
When they ask for 10-20% COV they're not asking for standard 'market' prices, they're driving up the market with their greed. No other country in the world that I know of (cue someone posting a load of links) do people expect to get an extra 10-20% on top of what their house is actually valued at and worth

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 12 May 2011 12:19 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Skyrocketing real estate prices? Who is causing that? Sorry to say, but your are grossly misinformed. It is the local Singaporean property owner who is holding out in property scarce Singapore for the absolutely highest COV they can get. There is nothing stopping a Singaporean from selling to other Singaporeans at a decent price, so it would appear the the problem is Singaporean GREED that causes skyrocketing prices. No different than any other property owner in the world, except they don't try to blame it on the buyers, who often have NO Choice but to either buy at inflated prices or pay inflated rentals to the Singaporeans to take the fact that they are foreigners, as a license to gouge.

However, the PAP did need a lesson, I'll agree, but to use the foreigner/housing/cost of living gambit is totally incorrect as there is absolutely nothing the opposition can do either.
I agree that voting opposition because of foreign workers and cost of living issues is misguided because these are due to economic fundamentals that won't change no matter who is in power.

What I find hard to understand is the view that foreigners have zero impact on property prices, and it's all due to local 'greed'. Firstly, as you've pointed out, property markets the world over generally operate by the rules of supply and demand. With the population increasing faster than we can build apartments, it's natural that prices go up. Is someone greedy simply for asking for the market price?

Let me make clear that I personally have nothing against foreigners and accept high housing prices as the price of progress. I am sincerely trying to understand why so many intelligent expats here flatly deny, against all economic principles, the two points I raise above and simply point their fingers at Singaporean greed. I understand it's no fun for you guys being blamed for something that individually you have little control over, but I find the view that market forces have nothing to do with prices, and greed alone does, rather irrational.

So what am I missing here?
It isn't natural supply demand at all. It's someone making a market because they can afford to hold onto a property even losing out on rental income to do so. It is by no means efficient - yes, there isn't government intervention, but it cannot be construed as free market economics.

It's a double edged sword. If the majority of foreigners were to only rent it would make the rental market here more desirable hence pushing up prices too. Plus, interest rates are low so that will encourage people to buy who may have thought otherwise a few years ago.

Look at things another way. The Government want money in their coffers and the people expect government subsidies, they expect the standard of living in SG to be consistent if not improve, they expect investment in infrastructure, they want the material things that make Singapore as desirable as it is. This money has to come from somewhere. The Sovereign funds will only return so much before they start getting depleted. Taxation is the obvious way that the Government can increase revenues. With a potentially stagnated population which will impact on long-term growth, and limited core industries in Singapore, unfortunately the Country has to attract foreign workers and investment inflows to keep the GDP growing in the long-term.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Thu, 12 May 2011 12:34 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:While I understand the concerns that locals have about the "foreigners in SG" issue, I find it ridiculous that foreigners ought to selectively impact the economy. The general attitude seems to suggest that while their presence is acceptable when it contributes to more MNCs using SG as a base and creating more jobs, driving consumption, contributing to adding value to the economy, when it comes to a resulting increase in commodity and housing prices the same foreigners ought to be banished from the land.
I agree this is a ridiculous stance. However if you think this is the general attitude, you have grossly misread the ground. A small group may be anti-foreigner no matter what, whether in jobs, housing or trains. The majority though accept foreigners but question if we need them in such numbers or of the poor quality we seem to be getting these days. I'm not part of this number, and am still trying to understand the issue from all angles.
intellectualsmuse wrote:As for the current discussion on whats really driving the demand for housing prices, local greed cannot be completely ruled out. While supply and demand do contribute to the rise in prices, the extent of increase we are now seeing here is driven more by sentiment than market reality IMHO ...well, we'll find out, wont we?
Housing bubbles are usually, as you point out, driven by sentiment. This means the imbalance is in the demand side of the equation, not the supply side. Blaming local greed is barking up the wrong tree if you are right. Personally I'm not sure if it's purely sentiment driven. After three rounds of cooling measures by the government, prices are still holding steady. This tells me something about the underlying fundamentals.

As for the true worth of a property, any self-respecting capitalist will know that the true price is what the market is willing to pay and not what some valuer says.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 12 May 2011 2:52 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
intellectualsmuse wrote:While I understand the concerns that locals have about the "foreigners in SG" issue, I find it ridiculous that foreigners ought to selectively impact the economy. The general attitude seems to suggest that while their presence is acceptable when it contributes to more MNCs using SG as a base and creating more jobs, driving consumption, contributing to adding value to the economy, when it comes to a resulting increase in commodity and housing prices the same foreigners ought to be banished from the land.
I agree this is a ridiculous stance. However if you think this is the general attitude, you have grossly misread the ground. A small group may be anti-foreigner no matter what, whether in jobs, housing or trains. The majority though accept foreigners but question if we need them in such numbers or of the poor quality we seem to be getting these days. I'm not part of this number, and am still trying to understand the issue from all angles.
intellectualsmuse wrote:As for the current discussion on whats really driving the demand for housing prices, local greed cannot be completely ruled out. While supply and demand do contribute to the rise in prices, the extent of increase we are now seeing here is driven more by sentiment than market reality IMHO ...well, we'll find out, wont we?
Housing bubbles are usually, as you point out, driven by sentiment. This means the imbalance is in the demand side of the equation, not the supply side. Blaming local greed is barking up the wrong tree if you are right. Personally I'm not sure if it's purely sentiment driven. After three rounds of cooling measures by the government, prices are still holding steady. This tells me something about the underlying fundamentals.

As for the true worth of a property, any self-respecting capitalist will know that the true price is what the market is willing to pay and not what some valuer says.
What is the unemployment rate in Singapore? Currently around 1.9%. Thats pretty much driving toward full employment taking into account cyclical employment trends. There isn't the skill-set or motivation within this sub-group to either fill the manual lower paid jobs, or roles requiring specialisation. Therefore, it is a simple case of supply and demand and firms have no choice but to look elsewhere as the people who are unemployed are simply not qualified enough for the roles or won't do the manual labour work.

I'm from the U.K and believe me we have a problem with foreigners that would make Singaporeans run a mile. The difference being they enter illegally, dodge tax, claim benefits from day 1, cause trouble, and know how to milk the system. Now anyone who operates like that should be kicked out and never let back in as they cost the taxpayers money each year and do inflate the cost of living.

However, if some clearly contributes and abides by the rules then I have no issue whatsoever with whoever wants to work in the U.K if they are fit for the role.

But just what do the foreigners do over here that offends the locals so much? Take the manual jobs (that the locals won't take)needed to keep the economy buoyant by working in construction, pay their taxes fully and on time thus contributing economically, immigration is strictly controlled here - you aren't getting all sorts smuggled in on the back of lorries who scrounge off the state and carve out a nice living at the expense of tax payers plus if they were to cause trouble they would be pretty much kicked out straight away as SG has an almost zero tolerance policy. So just what is the issue? Because we use your transport system, buy your food, dare to sit in the same restaurants, date Asian women? I am really struggling to comprehend the argument. I'll save going down the racist and jealousy routes but I am seriously struggling to come up with alternatives.

And the housing market gains are a natural result of

1. a growing economy
2. positive sentiment,
3. increases in foreign workers which has resulted in increased need for rentals meaning yields increase thus attracting more people into housing and buying second places for investment,
4. foreigners wanting something to show for their money and getting frustrated with high rentals compared to their home countries,
5. low interest rates,
6. some speculation and market making.

If there is a bubble, it will unlikely pop, more rather deflate slowly and get pumped back up in the short-term as there aren't masses of debt attached property that would break the market, because a high % are cash transactions, and the Singaporean banks have a far greater understanding of risk and are less greedy than their Western counterparts when it comes to lending.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Thu, 12 May 2011 3:31 pm

BillyB wrote:And the housing market gains are a natural result of

1. a growing economy
2. positive sentiment,
3. increases in foreign workers which has resulted in increased need for rentals meaning yields increase thus attracting more people into housing and buying second places for investment,
4. foreigners wanting something to show for their money and getting frustrated with high rentals compared to their home countries,
5. low interest rates,
6. some speculation and market making.

If there is a bubble, it will unlikely pop, more rather deflate slowly and get pumped back up in the short-term as there aren't masses of debt attached property that would break the market, because a high % are cash transactions, and the Singaporean banks have a far greater understanding of risk and are less greedy than their Western counterparts when it comes to lending.
Finally, a foreign perspective that acknowledges the economic realities and makes sense to me, and admitting for the first time that foreigners do have some impact on housing prices here. I was starting to feel sorry for the PAP, sandwiched between unreasonable Singaporeans who think that kicking foreigners out will solve all problems, and unreasonable foreigners who think that shouting down local greed will solve all problems.
BillyB wrote:But just what do the foreigners do over here that offends the locals so much? Take the manual jobs (that the locals won't take)needed to keep the economy buoyant by working in construction, pay their taxes fully and on time thus contributing economically, immigration is strictly controlled here - you aren't getting all sorts smuggled in on the back of lorries who scrounge off the state and carve out a nice living at the expense of tax payers plus if they were to cause trouble they would be pretty much kicked out straight away as SG has an almost zero tolerance policy. So just what is the issue? Because we use your transport system, buy your food, dare to sit in the same restaurants, date Asian women? I am really struggling to comprehend the argument. I'll save going down the racist and jealousy routes but I am seriously struggling to come up with alternatives.
BillyB, a lot of the resentment shouldn't be taken personally. We're just seeing the uglier side of human nature where it's easier to blame our troubles on others. I don't like this zenophobia, and personally believe that the competition is good for us in the long run.

Having said that, foreigners sometimes make it difficult to love them. I'm one of the more open-minded locals I know, yet being on this forum sometimes makes me wonder why we open our borders and our arms to people who seem to hold Singaporeans in such low regard that 'contempt' is the closest word I can think of to describe this attitude. It's the same "I-know-better-than-you-fools" arrogance that the PAP has displayed that lost them so many votes this time.

Not picking a fight here, but you did ask the question. And I'm not saying all foreigners are like this, just like not all Singaporeans resent foreigners. But there are enough zealots on both sides to make the integration challenging.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 May 2011 3:56 pm

Kinda of like when something goes viral on the net isn't it. That how Aljunied was lost, and the PAP took a beating. A few points (isolated ones) were picked up and repeated thousands of times until those few points became the characteristics of the ruling party. The difference is in other countries, they've been dealing with it for years and generally aren't fooled. But this is the first time it's happened in Singapore so, once the groundswell started, there wasn't anything the PAP could do and was therefore engulfed in the debris that the tide brought in. Once it started, others jumped on the bandwagon, probably more out of novelty than common sense. This is exactly what I was on about. Most only wanted to punished the ruling party and not kill them as they also know what side their bread is buttered on, but with only a few more percentage points there could have been a change of government and disaster (of course, that can still happen due to the naivety of the voting population (as evidenced by the voting for oppositions that didn't really have a clue on how they were going to run the government). A coalition government here? Could be done? Doubtful, as they all seem clueless. Even the WP stated that they weren't ready to form a government. But if all had gotten just a wee bit luckier, this country could well have been up the creek without the proverbial paddle. The childishness is already starting to show up in Aljunied based on what I've observed with my own eyes in our PA debriefing on Monday, and our RC meeting last night. PAP hasn't learned a damned thing either and the WP is acting much the same way. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 12 May 2011 3:56 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote: And for all the opposition parties that claim to stand up for the locals, do they really have a Plan B for Singapore? Am not too sure.
It is a common misconception that opposition parties have to have a manifesto or plan, they don't. The opposition's task is to oppose the government's plan.