Singapore Expats

Arai Helmet

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
skooch

Arai Helmet

Post by skooch » Thu, 05 May 2011 8:52 am

Hi,
Could anyone tell me where is the best place to buy a motorcycle helmet. In particular an Arai one. I have seen some shops on Serangoon road but I have no idea how good they are.

Thanks

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 05 May 2011 10:43 am

Check out Lab 219 on Lavender Street (219). There is also a place on Serangoon, a couple of blocks before Lavender that sells Arai.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Sat, 07 May 2011 8:41 am

You want Arai because you used them back home? You might find that the stores are stocked with helmets shaped for asian heads (more round) rather than caucasian heads (more oval). Which creates a lot of pressure points on the forehead if you go for the same size that you used back home.

In the end, I used a local arai dealer (chee yap I think on Serangoon) to import a western model. It doesnt have the regulation silver sticker on it, so technically shouldnt be worn on SH roads, but I am happier for having a helmet that fits properly.

Well...I did have a helmet that fits properly...binned my Rocket III a month back in Malaysia, been nursing a broken shoulder since then! I was very lucky, had on my full face, full mesh/armoured suit and boots, it could have been a lot worse if I was wearing Chinese Workboots (aka thongs!)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 07 May 2011 9:14 am

curiousgeorge wrote:..binned my Rocket III a month back in Malaysia
Glad to hear you are OK. Was it your R3 that I've seen in Watten Estates, over on Greenwood?

I bought an Asian Arai... fit this ang mo head perfectly... much better than the HJC and others.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Mon, 09 May 2011 1:58 pm

Thanks SE, having complications due to a five-part fracture of my proximal humerus (the ball in the joint got smashed up pretty good).

Not my bike you saw, mine was 5 yrs old and is now in a million pieces at Mah Motors waiting for the loss adjusters to reach a conclusion.

What an incredible bike though!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 May 2011 3:20 pm

Innira told me you had an accident on the 4th :o (I stopped in to show her my ongoing progress after 3 years)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Mon, 30 May 2011 5:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Innira told me you had an accident on the 4th :o (I stopped in to show her my ongoing progress after 3 years)
9th april, and still no right arm :(

Insurers called today to tell me the bike is a total loss. Very sad day :(

Return to “Cars & Motorcycles”