Singapore Expats

Contracting in singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
slash

Contracting in singapore

Post by slash » Wed, 04 May 2011 7:18 pm

HI ,

I wanted to soak in on some local advice on contracting in Sing. I have got a contract to work in Singapore and coming from the UK , i have a lot of questions. I am so excited that i could just accept an jump on plane but questions are popping in my little head.

1.Do I have to setup a local Ltd company ? or is there an umbrella company structure that i can use given the short 6 month contract? any one you would recommend?

2. What would you say a decent above average monthly salary be in Singapore?SGD 12,000?

3. Does SGD 3500 per month get me a decent accomodation in central town?

Thanks for your help!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 05 May 2011 8:21 am

Before your excitement dies down, why don't you use the search button under the profile link. It is at the right hand corner. Key in what you are after and threads will show up and you can absorb from there.
If you are paid here , you need to be employed by setting Pte Ltd or EP . You cannot do freelance here

Alternatively

www.iras.gov.sg

www.acra.gov.sg

www.mom.gov.sg

www.ica.gov.sg
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 05 May 2011 8:29 am

What line of business? You need to be sponsored or you need to have your own company (see the Entrepass thread). Or, for a portion of your contract amount, a company might consider applying for an EP for you so that you could do your freelance work.

fishbuff

Re: Contracting in singapore

Post by fishbuff » Sun, 15 May 2011 8:07 am

slash wrote:HI ,

I wanted to soak in on some local advice on contracting in Sing. I have got a contract to work in Singapore and coming from the UK , i have a lot of questions. I am so excited that i could just accept an jump on plane but questions are popping in my little head.

1.Do I have to setup a local Ltd company ? or is there an umbrella company structure that i can use given the short 6 month contract? any one you would recommend?

2. What would you say a decent above average monthly salary be in Singapore?SGD 12,000?

3. Does SGD 3500 per month get me a decent accomodation in central town?

Thanks for your help!
the contracting scene in sg is very different from those in UK and Australia. I understand where u are coming from; pty ltd, umbrella, payg, PI and PL etc.. however, in sg, contract job is basically like any other job except with a greater risk, limited benefits but u will get a rate better than permie. The best is to talk with your agent or HR. By the way, u may not get basic medical coverage.