Singapore Expats

Singapore PR Vs US Green Card

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Chocs0410

Singapore PR Vs US Green Card

Post by Chocs0410 » Tue, 03 May 2011 9:20 am

Hello All,

I am working as a senior IT consultant in USA since last few years.Prior to that I worked in Singapore under PR as same for many years and still having good ties with Singapore with good family friends.Also I invested in own Non IT business with ok profit which is ran by employees in Sinagpore while I am in US. And now recently I have got US green card as well.
Yes I am holding Singapore PR and US green card at same time.Eventually I have to give one.If I continue stay in US will soon loose Singapore PR but I can stiill run my business. I am family person with 2 small kids and unable to decide whether to continue in US with good pay/opportunities with green card or go back and settle down in Singapore finding a job there and look after business as well and also near family and friends.
So friends,please share some thoughts on this.

Thank you!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 03 May 2011 10:01 am

Your PR might still be valid but you would not seem to meet the requirements for getting your 5-year REP renewed (SG CPF contributions, tax-returns etc).

I am no expert but my gut feeling is that the value of your PR status, intended for people who intend to be permanently resident in SG, is devalued after choosing to have spent years away. The impression I have is that ICA do not like PR holders to treat it as something of a back-stop on which to come and go.

The other side is that the Green-card also appears to require some significant presence in the US (I hear you must visit at least once a year, and that USCB&P on arrival will grill you on why you have been away at all (but this is decade old anecdotes)).

I'm no lawyer though, so expect more info to follow from others...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Singapore PR Vs US Green Card

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 03 May 2011 10:10 am

Chocs0410 wrote:Hello All,

I am working as a senior IT consultant in USA since last few years.Prior to that I worked in Singapore under PR as same for many years and still having good ties with Singapore with good family friends.Also I invested in own Non IT business with ok profit which is ran by employees in Sinagpore while I am in US. And now recently I have got US green card as well.
Yes I am holding Singapore PR and US green card at same time.Eventually I have to give one.If I continue stay in US will soon loose Singapore PR but I can stiill run my business. I am family person with 2 small kids and unable to decide whether to continue in US with good pay/opportunities with green card or go back and settle down in Singapore finding a job there and look after business as well and also near family and friends.
So friends,please share some thoughts on this.

Thank you!
Your SPR does not expire , your REP does and it is valid for 5 years. The last three years of this validity must be able to proof income tax return among others. Look up at ICA website for renewal of REP and it will tell you everything you need to know.
To satisfy this need, is to set up a Pte Ltd company here and let yourself be employed here as a Director/Shareholder of this company and employing locals. Go to www.acra.gov.sg for more info
Then on assigned yourself as overseas assignment under business venture and opportunity but still pay your tax here. This will satisfy ICA and IRAS requirement.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 May 2011 1:00 pm

It would appear, by his original post, that that as already been done. The company is already in operation here in Singapore but is being run by locals. If he is still the director? Will director's fees alone do it? He would have hand to file tax returns in order to report the director's fees. However, if no director's fees, he may well have a bit of a problem. I'm not too sure on this one.
Also I invested in own Non IT business with ok profit which is ran by employees in Sinagpore while I am in US.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 03 May 2011 6:12 pm

I do not think he has directorship of the local company just shareholder and this is NON IT. Run by local employees means no director's fees .
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Chocs0410

Post by Chocs0410 » Thu, 05 May 2011 2:34 am

Hello All,
Thank you for your inputs. Yes I am the director of Non IT company in S’pore. I am having S’pore REP until June 30th.If I do not go back S’pore before that date, I will have to surrender my SPR (That will not affect Directorship and my business).But they said that if I come back before June 30th and continuously stay in Singapore for a year or more without REP but as a SPR,I can get back my REP.

So the decision here I am not able to make is that; shall I migrate back to S’pore ,involved more into business, find a good IT job and settle down there.Or leave the S’pore PR and continue to stay in US where I can earn more having more good opportunities with holding Green Card which I just got it. If now, I leave US and settle down in S’pore, I don’t think so, will migrate back to US with Family for work; may be just visit as I will be having easy entry.

What would you have done in my situation ??Both countries are equally good to settle down with family.
Thanks

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 05 May 2011 4:19 am

Chocs0410 wrote:Hello All,
Thank you for your inputs. Yes I am the director of Non IT company in S’pore. I am having S’pore REP until June 30th.If I do not go back S’pore before that date, I will have to surrender my SPR (That will not affect Directorship and my business).But they said that if I come back before June 30th and continuously stay in Singapore for a year or more without REP but as a SPR,I can get back my REP.

That is correct on what ICA said. Have you been paying yourself wages in SG or proof of income for the past three years prior REP due date ?

So the decision here I am not able to make is that; shall I migrate back to S’pore ,involved more into business, find a good IT job and settle down there.Or leave the S’pore PR and continue to stay in US where I can earn more having more good opportunities with holding Green Card which I just got it. If now, I leave US and settle down in S’pore, I don’t think so, will migrate back to US with Family for work; may be just visit as I will be having easy entry.

Toss a coin and see which side it flips ? I cannot tell you which way is best as only you can see where the opportunities are. As one business man said to another , I quote " No businessman will teach another business man to make business "
Which is more important to you ? If you have family then it will be harder to decide. You maybe the boss of your own company but your wife is your boss.
If you are single then lay your priorities and opprtunities then decide.
Something has to give and only you can decide.

What would you have done in my situation ??Both countries are equally good to settle down with family.
Thanks

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 05 May 2011 9:51 am

It's quite simple if your REP will be renewed. Do you meet the criteria below?

•Singapore blue identity card/Identity card for National Service personnel
•Valid travel document
•Latest REP, if any

If you are self-employed (e.g. company director, sole proprietor, business partner)

•Income Tax Notice of Assessment for the last 3 years
•And ONE of the three documents listed below:

◦Practising Certificate (applicable to applicants whose occupations require such certificates to proceed with their respective professional practices in Singapore, e.g. doctors, lawyers, etc)
◦Vocational Licence
◦Business Registration Certificate (showing the names of all the Directors and partners) from the Instant Information Service, Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA).

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=152