Singapore Expats

REP renewal while not working in Singapore

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
blueskyline

REP renewal while not working in Singapore

Post by blueskyline » Wed, 04 May 2011 12:47 am

Thanks for reading my post. I need some suggestions from you on what to do to make my REP renewal posssible.

Here is my situation:

- 2003-2005, stationed in Singapore, employed by an MNC with headquarters in the US and a representative office in Singapore;

- 2005-2010, stationed overseas, employed by the same MNC, but posted to other country to work;

- 2011, stationed overseas, but left the MNC company.

- Have been filing IRAS every year as self-employed person. Have been making [/list]monthly CPF contributions.

My REP renew is due at the year end. For some reason I am still not able to stay in Singapore this year, but I hope to retain PR for future use. I am considering some options and hope experienced person like Mad Scientist can help offer some suggestions.

I have the opportunity to be employed by a small Singapore-based company, but still have to work from overseas. This means that I can produce a employer’s letter at the time of REP renewal. Will this help? Or Does it help to set up a Singapore company of my own, but operate from overseas? Which one is better? What else can I do to increase the possibility of getting my REP renewed?

Thanks very much for your kind help.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: REP renewal while not working in Singapore

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 04 May 2011 4:34 am

blueskyline wrote:Thanks for reading my post. I need some suggestions from you on what to do to make my REP renewal posssible.

Here is my situation:

- 2003-2005, stationed in Singapore, employed by an MNC with headquarters in the US and a representative office in Singapore;

- 2005-2010, stationed overseas, employed by the same MNC, but posted to other country to work;

- 2011, stationed overseas, but left the MNC company.

- Have been filing IRAS every year as self-employed person. Have been making [/list]monthly CPF contributions.

CPF contribution does not make you one bit any better chance of getting renewal as it goes to your kitty not the Gahmen coffers
Read this guideline

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=152

My REP renew is due at the year end. For some reason I am still not able to stay in Singapore this year, but I hope to retain PR for future use. I am considering some options and hope experienced person like Mad Scientist can help offer some suggestions.

So , you are looking for back plan just in case your plans goes to custard ??

I have the opportunity to be employed by a small Singapore-based company, but still have to work from overseas. This means that I can produce a employer’s letter at the time of REP renewal. Will this help? Or Does it help to set up a Singapore company of my own, but operate from overseas? Which one is better? What else can I do to increase the possibility of getting my REP renewed?

Setting up your own business here, employing locals or using your new employer as a tool. You need to be employed here, pay your TAX here then leave SG for overseas assignment OR get ICA and IRAS blessing when you need to be assigned overseas. From memories, you need to start from here first NOT from overseas.

Thanks very much for your kind help.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!