Singapore Expats

Fire Me!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
jimmyjoebob

Fire Me!

Post by jimmyjoebob » Tue, 03 May 2011 2:01 pm

My sister was transferred to Singapore by the corp she works for. She has a nice place to live and a good salary but to continue to work for this company, she must stay in Singapore. She wants to return to the States and look for another job but she doesnt want to quit, she wants to get fired (for unemployment benefits). But apparently that isnt as easy as it sounds. She has tried being rude, telling offending jokes, correcting her superiors in meetings, being disrespectful, coming in late and leaving early, making farting sounds and sticking her foot out as people walk by her desk but they just wont fire her! (almost sounds like fun) Can anyone suggest something she can do that will get her $hit canned?

Thank you!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Tue, 03 May 2011 3:37 pm

I don't think there is any law in Singapore which says she's entitled to a payout if she's fired for being unprofessional/incompetent, it all comes down to what's in the contract. How much is she entitled to?

http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practi ... ation.aspx

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Re: Fire Me!

Post by revhappy » Tue, 03 May 2011 4:02 pm

jimmyjoebob wrote:My sister was transferred to Singapore by the corp she works for. She has a nice place to live and a good salary but to continue to work for this company, she must stay in Singapore. She wants to return to the States and look for another job but she doesnt want to quit, she wants to get fired (for unemployment benefits). But apparently that isnt as easy as it sounds. She has tried being rude, telling offending jokes, correcting her superiors in meetings, being disrespectful, coming in late and leaving early, making farting sounds and sticking her foot out as people walk by her desk but they just wont fire her! (almost sounds like fun) Can anyone suggest something she can do that will get her $hit canned?

Thank you!
Do words like "ethics", "dignity" or "integrity" mean anything to you? :???:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 03 May 2011 4:11 pm

Wind Up!

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Tue, 03 May 2011 4:18 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Wind Up!
Has to be. No one is that stupid.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 May 2011 4:36 pm

With a name like jimmyjoebob and posting from connecticut? Not only a wind up but a rather poor windup at that. If he had a sister at all she would already know there aren't any unemployment benefits in Singapore and wouldn't be eligible for US benefits either. Guy is a dumb and a shucked oyster.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bobypf
Regular
Regular

Post by bobypf » Tue, 03 May 2011 5:38 pm

The topic reminded me more of "Fire walk with me"... but after I read the story, I found out that "the owls are not what they seem".

purpled

Post by purpled » Wed, 04 May 2011 6:10 pm

under the policy of MOM, if the employer terminated the work, the employee is entitled 1 month salary (other benefits, not sure) but if the employee has a contract/ bond and decided to resign before the term ends, then he/she has to pay 1 month of salary to the company. (provided that the company didnt state this in paper)

and i agree, resign with dignity. you will never know when you needed their help esp in asking for a work reference.