Singapore Expats

Student pass to EP : Rejected and appealed

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
paulchezhian

Student pass to EP : Rejected and appealed

Post by paulchezhian » Sun, 01 May 2011 12:45 am

Hi Every1,
I'm a master's graduate from NTU. I started my 2 yr masters course in Aug 2009. So, I was given a student pass valid till Aug 2011. But, I finished my course in 1 yr (i.e. june 2010). I still hold student pass (I was searching for jobs). I had my convocation in july 2010. But, I was not told to surrender my student pass.

Now, I got a job in a start up company and was applied EP. I was he first person in the company to join under EP. But, the next day it got rejected. The reason told by MoM was 'info didn't tally' (this is what the company people told me). So, the company appealed against the rejection. After that when I had a chance to check with some outside consultant, they told me that, since my student pass is valid till Aug 2011, MoM considers me as student, but I've my masters cert at hand due to earlier graduation. This may seem to be not tallying for MoM (coz only after my studentship,I can get my degree - logically). Also, the start up company didn't know the proper way of applying EP since this is the first time they are applying.

In the mean time, i had interview with another company (well establised MNC). They are ready to offer me the job. So, will the earlier rejection and appeal affect in any way?? also, MoM previously told that the info didn't tally(So,I got letter from NTU regarding my period of study and date of graduation). Is the info really not tallying coz of my student pass. Can anyone provide me info abt my EP appeal and also abt the EP application by the new company (not yet applied).

How long will the appeal be valid? What will happen if the new company (a big MNC) apply EP? Will I get EP from MoM even though I finished my course early and still hold student pass???
Kindly help me!!!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Student pass to EP : Rejected and appealed

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 01 May 2011 1:44 am

paulchezhian wrote:Hi Every1,
I'm a master's graduate from NTU. I started my 2 yr masters course in Aug 2009. So, I was given a student pass valid till Aug 2011. But, I finished my course in 1 yr (i.e. june 2010). I still hold student pass (I was searching for jobs). I had my convocation in july 2010. But, I was not told to surrender my student pass.

Now, I got a job in a start up company and was applied EP. I was he first person in the company to join under EP. But, the next day it got rejected. The reason told by MoM was 'info didn't tally' (this is what the company people told me). So, the company appealed against the rejection. After that when I had a chance to check with some outside consultant, they told me that, since my student pass is valid till Aug 2011, MoM considers me as student, but I've my masters cert at hand due to earlier graduation. This may seem to be not tallying for MoM (coz only after my studentship,I can get my degree - logically). Also, the start up company didn't know the proper way of applying EP since this is the first time they are applying.

In the mean time, i had interview with another company (well establised MNC). They are ready to offer me the job. So, will the earlier rejection and appeal affect in any way?? also, MoM previously told that the info didn't tally(So,I got letter from NTU regarding my period of study and date of graduation). Is the info really not tallying coz of my student pass. Can anyone provide me info abt my EP appeal and also abt the EP application by the new company (not yet applied).

How long will the appeal be valid? What will happen if the new company (a big MNC) apply EP? Will I get EP from MoM even though I finished my course early and still hold student pass???
Kindly help me!!!
what was the result of the appeal?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 01 May 2011 1:49 am

paulchezhian wrote:Hi Every1,

Kindly help me!!!
How can u finish the 2 years course in 1 year? ur emp need to write to MOM with reasons for the same if it is valid

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 May 2011 11:30 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
How can u finish the 2 years course in 1 year? ur emp need to write to MOM with reasons for the same if it is valid
The same way my potential son-in-law did his. He was also doing a Masters in Aeronautical Engineering (same as his B.Sc) twinned with an Australian Uni i Sydney. When he went down to Sydney his minder or whatever you call them, convinced him to go ahead and do a double and so in 9 months in Aus, did a double and got both his Masters & PhD in Aeronautical Engineering. It's called double down and put the nose to the grindstone and don't let any distractions get in your way! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 01 May 2011 12:46 pm

It is called Co-joint degree. Yep it is common in OZ. NZ
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

paulchezhian

Post by paulchezhian » Sun, 01 May 2011 7:10 pm

I didn't get any reply for my appeal still...... My new employer may apply for EP soon this week. Should I inform abt my previous EP rejection and appeal???

The 2 yr course can be finished my completing the necessary credits. I fulfilled all the credits in 1 yr (2 semesters). So, the univ graduated me immediately though I was eligible to study for another year.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 01 May 2011 11:46 pm

paulchezhian wrote:I didn't get any reply for my appeal still...... My new employer may apply for EP soon this week. Should I inform abt my previous EP rejection and appeal???

The 2 yr course can be finished my completing the necessary credits. I fulfilled all the credits in 1 yr (2 semesters). So, the univ graduated me immediately though I was eligible to study for another year.
It doesnt look good for the MOM to see a new EP application for you when your previous EP appeal is in process. Inform your new employer about the rejection and also the appeal.

Why did you hurry for the new employer when your appeal is in progress? if in case you wanted the new employer why did u ask the old employer to appeal for u?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 May 2011 12:09 am

GREED
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

paulchezhian

Post by paulchezhian » Mon, 02 May 2011 11:25 am

I understand your point of MoM not expecting an EP so soon while there's a appeal in the pipeline. But, the new employer hasn't applied yet (nor I haven't received my offer). Three weeks are over since the appeal is made (including this week). My previous employer told me to wait for 3 weeks for any appeal update.

There's no greed, boss. I've been without job for a long time(as a fresher). Even when I got a job, EP got rejected at the first place. So, a bit anxious.... Came across this forum while surfing, saw that u were helping a lot of people....

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 May 2011 12:39 pm

The term "three weeks" is relative. It could be three weeks, it could be 5 weeks. At the moment, if you haven't noticed, there is an election going on. several holidays happening and lots of other major stuff happening in the world and in Singapore. Therefore, when somebody tells you a time frame, it has to be relative. If you want to apply with a new employer, you will need to inform MOM that you want to withdraw your appeal. Otherwise, if another employer applies while another application is still active, it's the same as throwing a spanner in the cogs of delicate machinery. Civil servants aren't know for the ingenuity or their ability to think outside the box. Finish one before starting another.

If you really want to, you can always go to MOM and inquire on the status of your appeal.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 02 May 2011 1:22 pm

paulchezhian wrote:Three weeks are over since the appeal is made (including this week). .
This week has just started right?

paulchezhian

Post by paulchezhian » Tue, 03 May 2011 2:46 pm

It happens that 3 weeks are already over(this Tuesday). But, I understand that 3 weeks is a relative time frame jus given for waiting. I hope to visit MoM personally with my certs, service obligation (I have a bond to work in Singapore for 3 yrs in a Singapore based company) and letter from college. Can I just go to MoM office and queue up there??? Or shud I get an appointment???

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 03 May 2011 4:35 pm

paulchezhian wrote:It happens that 3 weeks are already over(this Tuesday). But, I understand that 3 weeks is a relative time frame jus given for waiting. I hope to visit MoM personally with my certs, service obligation (I have a bond to work in Singapore for 3 yrs in a Singapore based company) and letter from college. Can I just go to MoM office and queue up there??? Or shud I get an appointment???
First of all employee cant submit an appeal/docs. All of them have to be submitted by the employer and not the employee

Secondly the appeal counter at the MOM has been closed and they are advising EMPLOYERS to submit appeal via iSubmit or manually at MOM counter.

You, being an employee cannot submit an appeal/doc

paulchezhian

Post by paulchezhian » Mon, 09 May 2011 11:28 am

I got the in-principle approval letter from MoM finally. So, I need to go for the registration and fingerprinting.
But, I've a silly doubt, Should I cancel my Student pass before going for my registration and fingerprinting??? Coz I read that even dependent pass, long term passes need to be cancelled before collection of EP.

Kindly tell me if I need to cancel my existing student pass before EP registration.

ngochien2903

Post by ngochien2903 » Mon, 09 May 2011 11:47 am

Congratualtion to you ^-^..Can you share your luck to all of us who is still waiting. ^-^ When did your company apply EP to you due I'm pending Spass from 14 Apr :((