Singapore Expats

Funan or Simlim?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
ElHani

Funan or Simlim?

Post by ElHani » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 1:32 pm

should i get my netbook from funan or simlim?
Just like a bottle.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 2:28 pm

You choice. Same netbook. But if you don't know what you are looking for or doing, then funan is your best choice. Sim Lim will eat you alive if you don't already know about your product and it's price.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 4:55 pm

You may try buying from some IT Fair -- sometimes these fairs have good bargains! I bought my laptop from Expo last year and it was cheaper than in any shops from Funan.
Nobody knows about future!

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 9:56 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You choice. Same netbook. But if you don't know what you are looking for or doing, then funan is your best choice. Sim Lim will eat you alive if you don't already know about your product and it's price.
+1.

When I think of Sim Lim, I always imagine someone buying a notebook, getting home, opening the box and finding a couple of bricks or an old typewriter......

nomicake

Post by nomicake » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:15 pm

Funan, if you're just looking for something off-the-shelf. It's a lot more reputable and prices really aren't that far off.

The next PC show / IT fair event will be in early June, if you want to wait for that. Again, not that much of a price difference if you ask me, but you'd probably get a bunch of additional freebies to go along with it.
peace, love & bulletproof muffins

darpy

Post by darpy » Fri, 29 Apr 2011 4:51 pm

if you can wait for the next IT fair, then go to that on the last day. I have worked at IT fairs here and they savings are considerable.

e.g. on the last day we begun to offer free upgrade of ram, case and accessories. All the stores there say they dont do it, but they do.

if you cant wait that long, then buy from funan. netbook prices are pretty fixed and you wouldnt be saving alot for the stress caused by going to sim lim

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 29 Apr 2011 5:47 pm

nomicake wrote:Funan, if you're just looking for something off-the-shelf. It's a lot more reputable and prices really aren't that far off.

The next PC show / IT fair event will be in early June, if you want to wait for that. Again, not that much of a price difference if you ask me, but you'd probably get a bunch of additional freebies to go along with it.
The funny thing that most people don't realise is that most of the SLS guys have shops in Funan or in some 'associate' business

While a lot are scared of SLS, I am yet to hear of real horror stories, from the computer sales people at SLS, especially those in 3rd floor and above.

1st floor and 2nd - is for tourist traps :D :D

And for laptop prices, the prices are controlled by distributors, so your 'saving' comes in the form of some freebies or so .. not any short changing ..

Now, if you are buying a Camera or such stuff in SLS - good luck ..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 29 Apr 2011 7:41 pm

ecureilx wrote: The funny thing that most people don't realise is that most of the SLS guys have shops in Funan or in some 'associate' business

While a lot are scared of SLS, I am yet to hear of real horror stories, from the computer sales people at SLS, especially those in 3rd floor and above.
Fully agree. I never ever was cheated (or attempted to be) in any of the SLS computer outlets but then I am not exactly a computer illiterate and never bough a pc in one piece. Hard to tell how do they deal with people buying the "sets". On the other hand a very good indication that the sale is fair is that almost all the outlets got their pricelists published/listed.
ecureilx wrote: Now, if you are buying a Camera or such stuff in SLS - good luck ..
Not at all, I simply stick to 2 shops only I consider reputable (or better say fair). The 2nd one is Oriental Photo on the 6th floor.

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Grumpy77 » Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:07 pm

I don't want to go from place to place 'shopping' so just head to Challenger, 6th floor Funan. Their prices are competitive and the selection is good.

If you are getting quite a bit of stuff annually it pays to get a membership for discounts and accrual of reward points.

Also find that the staff are good for advice before and after sales which I don't get in SLS.

The only reason I go to Sim Lim now is for Alan Photo to buy daughters camera gear.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 30 Apr 2011 1:23 pm

Challenger is on the same price level as HN, Courts or Best Denki meaning 10-30% more expensive than you can get from AP or CP (to mention only these two) and majority of SLS computer hardware outlets. Of course as everywhere you may buy there something cheaper sometimes. I still buy there various stuff (and have the card) as going for every single item to SLS makes no too much sense, but calling Challenger competitive is probably only correct if your shopping district is confined within main-stream orchard malls.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 30 Apr 2011 2:10 pm

x9200 wrote:Challenger is on the same price level as HN, Courts or Best Denki meaning 10-30% more expensive than you can get from AP or CP
This may be true for some items but for others Challenger is very competitive.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 30 Apr 2011 2:17 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:Challenger is on the same price level as HN, Courts or Best Denki meaning 10-30% more expensive than you can get from AP or CP
Like?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 30 Apr 2011 9:47 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Make it "MOST ITEMS" :D :D

Like a cooling pad, starts from 30$ and above .. of, course, members get 10% off ..

Then again, I can find the same cooling pad, at 20$ in SLS :)

Challenger's main selling point is the member discount with makes people perceive it as cheap .. though it is not, in my opinion and experience ..

Of course, if you haven't stepped into cheap sale spots, and compare Challenger with HN/Courts, it will seem cheaper ..

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Grumpy77 » Sat, 30 Apr 2011 11:41 pm

I think that is exactly the point. If you want to spend time 'shopping' then you can save a few dollars on a cooling pad.

I have regular buying and need a place that I can just go to and get a price I know is not bad (ie: not getting jammed at SLS without going from store to store to find the walk-away price).

Honestly, I hate shopping but also I think my time is worth something.

ancientmariner

Re: Funan or Simlim?

Post by ancientmariner » Sun, 01 May 2011 12:25 am

ElHani wrote:should i get my netbook from funan or simlim?
@ Elhni - have you decided where to go?
Nobody knows about future!

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”