Singapore Expats

Agents

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
dpot
Regular
Regular

Agents

Post by dpot » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:49 pm

Just arrived in SG a couple days ago and the property agents are giving us the run around. One showed us a property last night, then promised to get back to us today concerning whether the ll would fix the a/c in the unit...no response. He said the current tenant was moving out early and the ll didn't want to pay another agent fee, and that the current tenant didn't want to pay a fee for early termination (apparently no diplomatic clause?), so he was trying to find new tenants (us) to cover all bases. Seems fishy that he expected us to pay him an agent's fee if we took the property, though. Shouldn't the tenant pay that? :-k

Anyway, then the agent tried to pull a fast one today after we contacted him about a property...he set up a viewing for us at Moonstone View at 1:30 tomorrow (after assuring my wife earlier in the day that he was representing the ll), then had some lackey call us at 9pm tonight to insist that we needed an agent to represent us, which seems like baloney. My guess is that these two are trying to work both sides of the equation!?!? Anyway, his errand boy abruptly hung up on me after I said that we just wanted to deal with the ll's agent. So my wife called Joseph to get a better read on the situation (she's more of a local than I am), and Joseph hung up on her! :x I told him by SMS that I would report him to the CEA for dishonest practices and he told me that he'd take me to a court of law if I made this info public, that he'd warn other agents of people like me, then accused me of threatening him, then claimed that I needed someone to represent my interests--to quote one of his sms messages to me: "Why don't take my recomended agt then go n get yourself represented. If u can pay it won't be that diff to find a gd one. The pot don't call the kettle black. Don't be a hyprocrite n be a damn nuisance." [sic] :shock: Nice.

If these guys were just honest, there'd be no problem...we've rented numerous times in the US and UK with narry an issue, we've even paid fees for some properties but my wife and I have never been treated like this before...just astounding. I'm on a local package, my wife isn't working, we've got a 19 month old, and so I am pretty cautious when it comes to entering contracts. I feel this should be brought to the attention of the CEA...I'd love to hear some feedback; any thoughts from those of you who are in the know?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Agents

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:55 pm

dpot wrote: I feel this should be brought to the attention of the CEA...I'd love to hear some feedback; any thoughts from those of you who are in the know?
You must bring it to the attention of CEA - as the agents have found the loophole to screw both ends of the deal - even though the CEA ruling was to ensure you don't get screwed by both ends ..

I saw this coming anyway .... and as for the threat - as you are the tenant, nobody can file a caveat - and a threat is just that ...

Damn - of course, you are foreigner, why not shut up and pay is the common demand ..

Don't fall for it !

That's my 2 cents

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 1:45 am

'I told him by SMS that I would report him to the CEA for dishonest practices and he told me that he'd take me to a court of law if I made this info public'

Do it. This little prick needs reining in.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 2:50 am

Nope there seems to be no concept of building a reputation. It is more 'see opportunity must grab'.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 6:31 am

Like I always said

Lawyers are Liars

Doctors are Killers

Property Agents are Suckers

All of the above should be place in front of the firing squad bound on to the poles, stripped naked, blindfolded and grab the meanest , hungriest red ants and let it do their job :twisted: :twisted:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 8:18 am

dpot wrote:Just arrived in SG a couple days ago and the property agents are giving us the run around. One showed us a property last night, then promised to get back to us today concerning whether the ll would fix the a/c in the unit...no response. He said the current tenant was moving out early and the ll didn't want to pay another agent fee, and that the current tenant didn't want to pay a fee for early termination (apparently no diplomatic clause?), so he was trying to find new tenants (us) to cover all bases. Seems fishy that he expected us to pay him an agent's fee if we took the property, though. Shouldn't the tenant pay that? :-k

Anyway, then the agent tried to pull a fast one today after we contacted him about a property...he set up a viewing for us at Moonstone View at 1:30 tomorrow (after assuring my wife earlier in the day that he was representing the ll), then had some lackey call us at 9pm tonight to insist that we needed an agent to represent us, which seems like baloney. My guess is that these two are trying to work both sides of the equation!?!? Anyway, his errand boy abruptly hung up on me after I said that we just wanted to deal with the ll's agent. So my wife called Joseph to get a better read on the situation (she's more of a local than I am), and Joseph hung up on her! :x I told him by SMS that I would report him to the CEA for dishonest practices and he told me that he'd take me to a court of law if I made this info public, that he'd warn other agents of people like me, then accused me of threatening him, then claimed that I needed someone to represent my interests--to quote one of his sms messages to me: "Why don't take my recomended agt then go n get yourself represented. If u can pay it won't be that diff to find a gd one. The pot don't call the kettle black. Don't be a hyprocrite n be a damn nuisance." [sic] :shock: Nice.

If these guys were just honest, there'd be no problem...we've rented numerous times in the US and UK with narry an issue, we've even paid fees for some properties but my wife and I have never been treated like this before...just astounding. I'm on a local package, my wife isn't working, we've got a 19 month old, and so I am pretty cautious when it comes to entering contracts. I feel this should be brought to the attention of the CEA...I'd love to hear some feedback; any thoughts from those of you who are in the know?
Sounds like a crafty and dishonest little sh*t.

I was talking to my agent the other week and he told me that as of last year (not sure of the exact date) that all tenant fee's have been abolished ( not sure of there is a minimum threshold for the rental price, but he didn't mention that) and it is only the landlord who pays the agents fee.

The situation in your first paragraph - you are correct. The current tenants who are terminating early should be the ones paying the fee's. It's strange they don't have a dip clause and the landlord is agreeing to let them leave without any compensation. Or if you smell some B/S - on the other hand, he could have received the 3 months payments from them and be trying to shaft you too. Like everyone else says - there are always some dodgy people out there trying to screw the expats!!

Reportng him sounds like the best way to deal with this and find another agent of course.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:39 am

I concur with BillyB and with ecureilx. Report the Barsteward. Hang him out to dry.

You will be doing everybody a favour including the Real Estate industry which is trying it's damnedest to shake off an extremely bad rep because of cowboys like these two.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 11:51 am

Another vote for "report to CEA."

That bastard.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

dpot
Regular
Regular

Post by dpot » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 3:28 pm

Cool...thanks for the support guys, I've reported him...making sure the CEA sees how people like this cause Singapore to lose face. Anyway, get this, the guy was sending me SMS texts until 11:15pm, talking about how his landlord doesn't want to deal with me and that his landlord just told him to 'close the deal with the japanese, first come first served'....so obnoxious. What planet am I on? :lol: I can handle a bit of baloney once in a while if it is just me, but don't ever hang up on my wife, 'nahm sayin? :x

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 24 Apr 2011 6:31 pm

CEA Revoke his licence, hope!

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sun, 24 Apr 2011 7:24 pm

^^^ You think he HAS a license? I bet not!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 24 Apr 2011 7:25 pm

beppi wrote:^^^ You think he HAS a license? I bet not!
no license = criminal offence .. the more the reason to burn him .. :)

beirnes

Agents

Post by beirnes » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:34 am

I'm also dealing with a few agents at the moment. Can somebody tell me if it is standard for the tenant to have to pay commission? My understanding was that the landlord covers the commission if the rent was above $2,500.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:50 am

beirnes wrote:I'm also dealing with a few agents at the moment. Can somebody tell me if it is standard for the tenant to have to pay commission? My understanding was that the landlord covers the commission if the rent was above $2,500.
CEA change the ruling to the effect that the agent can't represent both parties .. and only the landlord has to foot the commission ..

Didn't know about the 2,500 $ ruling though ..

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 12:04 pm

A quick search for recent discussions on this forum would have told you the following:
Since the rule change, agents (licensed ones - all others are illegal!) represent (and can charge a fee from) EITHER landlord OR tenant.
This basically means, if the landlord has engaged the agent (to find a tenant for his property), it is HIS agent and HE will be the only one paying a fee, NOT the tenant. If, on the other hand, YOU engaged the agent to find a suitable property for you, YOU pay all fees to him.
There is NO S$2500 ruling (or any other amount). If the agent is telling you otherwise, he's lying (which is very common unfortunately) and you should stop dealing with him!
It is a good idea to sign a contract (standard ones available from CEA) with the agent at the start to avoid surprises. If the agent declines that, he's either illegal or wants to shaft you for more than he's entitled by the standard contract.